Compact Car on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
JohnnyB

Compact Car on STJ

Post by JohnnyB »

We are renting a compact car from Dependable on STT, which is where we are staying. However, during the 10 days we are there, I want to take one or two day trips to STJ. Has anyone ever used a small car on STJ and have they had any problems? If I have to, I can just take a people ferry and use taxis. I don't want to be taking my life in my hands....Ha Ha
JT

Post by JT »

The usual advice is to get a 4x4 when driving on STJ, but for most driving it's not really needed. For some villa driveways it's a must, the road past Saltpond to Lameshur is a bit dicey with a 2wd, but doable with the recent improvements. For going for a day or two, getting around the Cruz Bay, the North Shore Beaches and out to Coral Bay you'll be fine. I'd advise against leaving the paved road and Bordeaux Mountain Rd. is probably not a good idea. Just keep left, stay on your side of the road and watch out for the concrete trucks, impatient locals, goats, cows and donkeys. It is hilly, with sharp turns, sometimes sudden showers that make the roads slick. It also is customary when you drive slow to let other cars get around you if you come to a safe spot to do so. Remember that you are a visitor and there are people who live there that are trying to get to work. Enjoy your visit, it's beautiful!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Jost Kidding

Post by Jost Kidding »

If your plan is to hit Cruz bay and the N shore beaches, I would just take the people ferry and grab a taxi. I think that would be much more relaxing. For a day trip, I would skip Coral Bay, Salt Pond, etc. on the E side of the island. I think the drive to and from would eat up too much time you could otherwise spend on a beautiful N shore beach.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

If you’re only going to STJ for a couple days, you should do fine with a compact car. My husband and I used to rent a compact car for STJ, but we’ve been there enough times now that we like to explore the places we haven’t yet seen…and we need 4WD to do that. There are definitely some places, especially out toward the East End that you’d bottom-out in a small car, but if you’re only going to be there for two days, there is enough to see in non-4WD places to keep you occupied.

That said, you should still be very careful if it rains. The roads can get pretty tricky when they’re wet. Also make sure that your rental company allows cars to be taken on the ferry…not all of them do.