Must do's on STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
dtenel
Location: My feet are in Michigan....My heart is in St. Thomas

Must do's on STJ?

Post by dtenel »

We have been to STJ before while staying on a chartered catamaran. This year hubby and I are land based on STT and are planning on taking the ferry and our car over to STJ for at least one day. What are some mut do's for us? We've been to Trunk Bay a few times before and really don't need to do that again. I am really looking forward to going to St. John Spice Co, but need more ideas? We really like nice, white sand beaches with crystal clear water to lounge by. Also, shopping of course in Cruz Bay. Any ideas? Thanks in advance all;)
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Maho- beaching and snorkeling
Waterlemon- snorkeling
Cinnamon- beaching and snorkeling
Beach Bar- pain killer
Woody's- bushwacker

I am sure there is more........
augie

Post by augie »

It depends on what you plan to do. Sea-nile has given you some great suggestions, but if you don't snorkel, there are other beaches that might be better for you.

Do you like to people watch or do you prefer (relative) privacy?

Is a scenic beach important to you?

Do you prefer easier access, or is taking a short to intermediate length hike ok?

STJ has many beach options, and almost assuredly some that will fit your needs.

What time of year are you going?
Come see us!
dtenel

Post by dtenel »

We will be there Dec. 6-16. I am really not into hiking too much.....I prefer to be a bit lazy with a drink in my hand, laying in a lounge chair and people watching &/or soaking up the wonderful Caribbean sun.

We do prefer beaches that are not over crowded. I do not want people 2 feet from me! We do like to snorkel, but would need to rent snorkel equiptment.

We would like to take our Jeep and drive around and explore. Is parking an issue here? We are very laid back people and prefer to just fly by the seat of our pants a bit. That is why we may go over to STJ more than one day. It will depend on if we want to go back and do more things over there! Do any of the beaches there have facilities like bars, lounge chairs provided, ect?
SoulvilleUSA

Post by SoulvilleUSA »

I would at least go tour the Annaberg Sugar Mill ruins... it's not really a hike, more of a walk around a state-park historical area....which it just happens to be. Good photo ops there. Afterwards you could stop at any of the North shore beaches. If you haven't snorkeled waterlemon, you should. My driving reccomendation would be to go out Centerline Rd. to enjoy some scenic views from on top of the island, then come back along the shore.
Green tunnels and no stop signs

Sterling
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

dtenel wrote:We will be there Dec. 6-16. I am really not into hiking too much.....I prefer to be a bit lazy with a drink in my hand, laying in a lounge chair and people watching &/or soaking up the wonderful Caribbean sun.

We do prefer beaches that are not over crowded. I do not want people 2 feet from me! We do like to snorkel, but would need to rent snorkel equiptment.

We would like to take our Jeep and drive around and explore. Is parking an issue here? We are very laid back people and prefer to just fly by the seat of our pants a bit. That is why we may go over to STJ more than one day. It will depend on if we want to go back and do more things over there! Do any of the beaches there have facilities like bars, lounge chairs provided, ect?

The only beaches that have facilities are Trunk and Cinnamon. There is a toilet at Francis. We usualy take our own snorkel gear. We buy it at the local sporting goods store and have used it for about 8 years. It seems to fit better and be of better quality then what you rent.I have heard of people renting equiptment in Cruz Bay but I am not famililure with were to do that.

My wife and I had done a similar one day trip to St. John on our first visit to the V. I. We went to Trunk for a few hours of relaxation and then drove to Coral Bay to eat at Shipwrecks Landing. After lunch we went to Cinnamon for a few hours and then back to St. Thomas. In your case you have already been to Trunck so I would recommend Maho beach in the morning. It is less crouded, beautiful, has good snorkeling and is located right along North Shore road. I would then eat lunch in Coral Bay at Shipwreck landing or Skinney legs. I like Shipwreck better. After lunch I would then head to Fransis for relaxation, another beautiful not to crouwded beach, and then head back to Cruz Bay. As you said before, a stop at St. John Spice is a must.
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Good news is, there's lots to choose from! Some favorites...
Hawksnest - Close, easy entry and there's good snorkeling right off the beach. Parking is easy, but you'll need to bring snorkel equipment and cold drinks.
Cinnamon - On-site snorkel rental and food.
Francis Bay - Lots of room for privacy. Bring your own snorkel equipment and beverages.

Enjoy!
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Good news is, there's lots to choose from! Some favorites...
Hawksnest - Close, easy entry and there's good snorkeling right off the beach. Parking is easy, but you'll need to bring snorkel equipment and cold drinks.
Cinnamon - On-site snorkel rental and food.
Francis Bay - Lots of room for privacy. Bring your own snorkel equipment and beverages.

Enjoy!
Gizzmo

Place to go in St John

Post by Gizzmo »

Hi, just stopped by the forum. I do not read it as much as we are not going this year. If you want a nice private spot on the beach with chairs and beer for sale you cannot beat VIE'S chicken shack and private beach. It is on East End, the other side of the island. The snorkeling is GREAT, the beer cold, the garlic chicken good and no people. Call ahead and make sure she is open as Vie was not getting any younger when I saw her last year. She is closed on Sundays and Mondays. My avatar was taken on Vie's beach. Hope this helps :wink: Gizzmo
My Avatar is my Corona moment......
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Ditto hoiserdaddy: given your preferences I think it is a perfect well rounded day. Just pack a cooler for your drinks.

Have fun!

Gina
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

How 'bout Lameshur? It's a fair ole drive around the island, but that may be a bonus, since you'll get to see virtually the entire island. It's generally a private beach, and you'll be within striking distance of the Tourist Trap, Shipwreck Landing, or Skinny Legs for food and drink.

Lovermont
dtenel

Post by dtenel »

Thanks all for your advise! I think we will plan on doing exactly what hoosierdaddy recommended :D I am counting down the days until I can get out of this Michigan cold and into the Caribbean heat 8)

What is all of your takes on Woody's? We are pretty casual eatters. Do not like fancy smancy, just burgers, steaks, chicken, ect. We prefer to eat where the food is good and the local frequent. No wanting to dress up at all....shorts and t-shirts for hubby and a sun dress for me....over top of my suit mind you!