Little more St. John restaurant news

Travel discussion for St. John
hugo

Post by hugo »

Unfortunately, these managers are fairly typical of a lot of people who show up here in the VI. While we do have some honorable business people, a disproportionate number are trying to take the money and run, realizing that government controls are lax at best and easily bought off at worst. The past 15 years we've had bumper crop, many of them attracted to St. John by all the tacky "luxury", with no regard for the people or environment that got badly hurt.
Does the name Jeffery Prosser ring a bell? Allen Stanford? Jeffery Epstein? Sirenusa? Grand Bay? Reliance Housing?
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

hugo wrote:Unfortunately, these managers are fairly typical of a lot of people who show up here in the VI. While we do have some honorable business people, a disproportionate number are trying to take the money and run, realizing that government controls are lax at best and easily bought off at worst. The past 15 years we've had bumper crop, many of them attracted to St. John by all the tacky "luxury", with no regard for the people or environment that got badly hurt.
Does the name Jeffery Prosser ring a bell? Allen Stanford? Jeffery Epstein? Sirenusa? Grand Bay? Reliance Housing?
Isn't Reliance Housing the one who did the homes on Gifft Hill? I thought they were on the up and up?

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
RT

Post by RT »

To our faithful restaurant servers:
Unfortunately, it appears you have been been cheated upon.
The following link is to the Virgin Islands Department of Labor in St Thomas, their number is 340-776-3700.
http://www.vidol.gov/contact_us.php

Best I can determine they are a division of the US Dept of Labor and therefore not the USVI government, so your chances of getting a prompt response to your problems are quite possible. I would recommend contacting them immediately and describing the issues that have been described here to see how they can help. My past experience(DOL) is that they are very employee friendly and will go after owners/management that have violated the law.
Best wishes,
RT
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Interesting thread.

Count me in as one who had no clue about the implications of tipping on a cc vs. cash. These stories have made me a convert to tipping in cash forever more.
~Brenda~
iamyourserver

Post by iamyourserver »

Oh, rest assured the Dept of Labor has been contacted and is well aware of the issues here. Just two days ago they attempted to contact our "CEO" - ( man, that is funny). Apparently they have called him several times and he has not even responded.
satobsat

Post by satobsat »

Maybe the labor board should follow the ever compassionate Cindy's advice & call the Balcony & leave a message. (I feel Cindy has been a little quiet lately) :wink:
iamyourserver

Post by iamyourserver »

Cindy! Where are you?! The "CEO" needs you more than ever!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Yes I miss Cindy! Yoo hoo, where are you???

I bet the "CEO" will be forever grateful for her contributions to his cause. You know, her announcements of the specials and all and getting the news out about these restaurants reopening.

I am really glad she got everyone out of the woodwork to tell the REAL "real" story!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Connie

Post by Connie »

Take it out on the person who is responsible for this. The CEO..period. Could it be that he even lied to Cindy???

It's starting to sound like bullying now on the last few posts.

Try to act like adults and do what needs to be done.

I understand the frustration...I really do...
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
djmom

Post by djmom »

Yes possible....but usually if you are good enough friends to go that far to stick up for someone, you know what they are all about.

But a fair point Connie.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Connie

Post by Connie »

djmom wrote:Yes possible....but usually if you are good enough friends to go that far to stick up for someone, you know what they are all about.

But a fair point Connie.

This could be another thread, but I've had EXTREMELY good friends that have lied right to my face. It does happen and it sucks.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
uptotheminute

The LATEST

Post by uptotheminute »

Payday at St John restaurants yesterday. No paychecks. Due to this, as of 5:20pm no kitchen staff has shown up at Paradiso. At Balcony, no checks, no CO2 (for sodas, etc.), and the manager is shopping daily at a local grocery store for the next day's food. Staff buying food and liquor with the cash at the end of the day. Balcony manager spotted paying $200 to tree trimmers outside restaurant yesterday, but no money for staff. Very short staffed at Balcony because no one will work. Locals refusing to send anyone to any of theaw restaurants due to lack of quality, (not to mention food or liquor!!)
Please don't insult the other wonderful restaurants down here who run legitimate businesses by saying this is par for the course. It is not.

PS Last week the power was shut off at the Balcony due to non payment. I know. I was there when they did it.

More to come.....but would LOVE to hear Cindy's comments now......
sugarshack

Post by sugarshack »

whaaa cindy done bury she head in da sand..........
wha u cain hear u feel
designbyroe

Re: The LATEST

Post by designbyroe »

uptotheminute wrote:Please don't insult the other wonderful restaurants down here who run legitimate businesses by saying this is par for the course. It is not.
I want to make sure I understand your comment 'uptotheminute'. You want to make sure that restaurants other then the 4 are not losing customers since they are running legitimate business's as opposed to the 4 that have been the topic?

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
stjhome

Post by stjhome »

I have friends who have worked at the establishments mentioned. What has finally come out has been going on for months.

Having said that, I am employed by wonderful restaurant owners. They are always fair and we know where we stand.

Although it is not a practice at our restaurant that tips are withheld, I have heard this before and always leave my tip in cash, whether I am home or stateside.

Please know that there are many upstanding business owners on St. John. You will be very aware of this. The manner in which management treats their employees is always reflected in the way the customers are treated by staff. As I hear all the time, good help is hard to find, however it's harder to keep.