Coral Bay Marina

Travel discussion for St. John
tedprosser

Coral Bay Marina

Post by tedprosser »

I know there are folks on both sides of this issue

I love Coral Bay because it is slow and funkie and not Cruz Bay but I do wish we had a better place for boat on STJ

But does anyone know what is going on with the marinas that were proposed for Coral Bay??
hugo

Post by hugo »

Don't hold your breath. Even before the economic downturn, both these projects were dead in the water, so to speak, for a variety of reasons. The unfortunately named T. Rex, who were to lease from the Moravian church, have not been heard from in some time; the alliance of locals who were to develop by the Island Blues site less allied..obiviously, no one is starting anything ambitious at this time.
bevm

Post by bevm »

Frankly, that does not make me unhappy that it's "dead in the water"...The idea of power boats in Coral Bay makes me slightly nauseous...Sorry.
tedprosser

Post by tedprosser »

I understand about the power boat, BUT if there was a pump out station

Pardon me but there would be less "" Waste """ dumped into the bay and well it might be a better color

Spend a little time running around the Bay in a boat and you will see and smell what I am talking about

The color of Coral Bay does not just come from the run off from the rain

T
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

I agree with ya....there definitely should be some type of facility to encourage boaters to not just dump everything overboard. It wouldn't take much the bring the bay back to pristine conditions.....They need tougher environmental standards like we have here in PA. But all in all, a marina would be good for businesses but I think it would ruin the feeling of that side of the island....just my two cents.

Besides, if they put in the marina it means they would probably remove my sailboat from the bay. I like keeping an eye on it from my parents house. Its the one that is mostly rusted out, on its side with no mast, and practically grounded. I know, y'all are jealous of my boat! :lol:
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Besides, if they put in the marina it means they would probably remove my sailboat from the bay. I like keeping an eye on it from my parents house. Its the one that is mostly rusted out, on its side with no mast, and practically grounded. I know, y'all are jealous of my boat! :lol:[/quote]

That's your boat??? I'm......at a loss for words. :? At least you have parents that have a home there where you can "keep an eye on it". :D
tedprosser

Post by tedprosser »

There are a lot of boat that are " Dead in the Water" (or half under water leaking oil) With no motor,sail or way to move . With folks living on the boat???? Wonder where the waste goes???

My hope is that with all the boats we would have a better way to take care of them and the waste and what they do in the bay.

I don't want Coral Bay to be Red Hook or god help us Cruz Bay, but a small marina would help with a lot of problems and not change this side of the island. The boats are already there we just need to deal with them in the better cleaner way. A way that it good for the bay, the water and the boaters

I love all the boats in the Coral Bay.I look at them all year. But from the hill you can see just how bad the water gets.. The run off from the rain does not help and there is progress with that address that problem But even when it does not rain, you can see how bad the water is and how clean it is out in the opening of the bay

We could have a better boating facility, keep the Bay cleaner, and and take better care of all the wonderful boats. Don't get me wrong, I have my Capt's Lic and I am all about boats.

The beatiful blue water is why we all come to STJ and why I have a home in Coral Bay, becaues it's NOT CRUZ BAY and it's wonderful slow pace.
It would be great if you could have that blue water all the time.

I do think if we do not take care of the water issue it will only get worst

T
bevm

Post by bevm »

I see your point Ted...But the term "marina" scares me a bit. I just don't want to see Coral Bay become like Cruz Bay...Maybe there could be restrictions??
tedprosser

Post by tedprosser »

OK Bev

This is the plan

Let's met at at the bar and work this thing out and lay out a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted
bevm

Post by bevm »

We'll be there 4/15-4/29...you pick the bar!!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

A marina like Marina Cay could be real nice in Coral Bay. A fuel station, a store, a restaurant/bar & a place to get a hot shower. Not much more. :)

JT

Post by JT »

One night a few years ago we had a group of local Coral Bay folks up to the villa we were renting and we sort of penned a song to a money idea that Barr's significant other had. Christopher wanted to set up a boat to be a floating pumping station and then sell the wastes as fertilizer. Of course as the evening went on it became a drunken song with the first line being ....
"The Shitboat's A'Comin, It's pumpin' and It's Pumpin'"
I foggily remember it being pretty funny. Ah, hell. You had to have been there.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
tedprosser

Post by tedprosser »

OK BEV

We may be there, Might be in North Carolina that week finishing taxes!!
How About the Aqua Bistro at Cocolobo??

Has anyon met Joy in the Store at Marina Key????

She is a real JOY, NOT!!
bevm

Post by bevm »

As it gets closer you'll know better, so let me know.. A lot of us forumites are going to be on-island around that same time...I'm always up for drinks at Aqua Bistro!!
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

tedprosser wrote:I don't want Coral Bay to be Red Hook or god help us Cruz Bay......
The beatiful blue water is why we all come to STJ and why I have a home in Coral Bay, becaues it's NOT CRUZ BAY and it's wonderful slow pace.
T
Hi Ted,

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from here and I suspect that people reading your comments who have never been here might not understand what you mean either.

We have plenty of beautiful blue water on the Cruz Bay side and many people love to live, work and visit here. One of the nice things about St. John is that there is a lot of variety and people can choose what they like.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Coral Bay home. It looks beautiful.

- Ruth