cigar availability & prices on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
TanManSam

cigar availability & prices on STJ

Post by TanManSam »

Help for one who enjoys the occasional cigar, please.

Is there a good place on St. John to buy cigars and, if so, how are the prices compared to the mainland or ordering online?

I am aware that if we go to one of the BVI islands I'll be able to score some Cuban brands, but I am not sure we'll make that trip.

Don't worry forumites: I only smoke outside the villa. Hey, it will keep the mosquitos away. Just a service I provide to the family!
cwaver

cigars

Post by cwaver »

there was a store in Mongoose junction for cigars. Also the restaurant at the Westin. I wouldn't buy Cubans in the BVI's unless you can tell the fakes. 90% are. Use the internet and bring your favorites Just my opinion.
Pia

Post by Pia »

FYI the cigar store in Mongoose closed down on June 1st.

Pia
crasherino

Re: cigars

Post by crasherino »

cwaver wrote:there was a store in Mongoose junction for cigars. Also the restaurant at the Westin. I wouldn't buy Cubans in the BVI's unless you can tell the fakes. 90% are. Use the internet and bring your favorites Just my opinion.
Does the Westin still sell cigars? I don't know for certain one way or the other but I'd be surprised if they did - the whole hotel is considered smoke free to the point that they don't even carry matches anywhere anymore.
canestfr

Post by canestfr »

Bring your own. There isn't any place on STJ worth buying cigars. The selection of cigars and condition in which they are kept are both dismal.

For habanos in the BVI go to Tortola and visit Little Denmark (they supply Foxy's if I remember correctly). They have a walk in humidor but some of the cigars aren't in good shape. Check for damage before paying. Expect to pay resort prices.
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Bring your own. I find that cigars at home are either cheaper than in the VI's or the same price.

And I agree about keeping the mosquitos away....it also works for annoying father in-laws :D
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Little Denmark in Road Town has the best humidor in the VIs. Nice selection and I found the prices to be far less than resort prices.

You may find that the non-Cubans are in better shape.
canestfr

Post by canestfr »

Just to clarify: resort prices = higher than retail set by Habanos SA. Anything more than retail (assuming not a tax) is just gouging tourists.

Little Denmark is really the best place to go. If you aren't going to make it to the BVI stick with bringing your own.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

As I recall, Little Denmark was around Retail +50% vs Resort Prices that I've heard of at Retail x 2 to 3.

I'm considering "retail" as what I see at a local shop here.