Tourist robbed -- where is Joe's diner?

Travel discussion for St. John
petepie

Tourist robbed -- where is Joe's diner?

Post by petepie »

Sorry to do this (and stir up the St. John crime pot), but I saw in the Tradewinds that a tourist was beaten and robbed near Joe's Diner on April 12th early morning. Where exactly is Joe's diner? Is it the same as Joe's BBQ?
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Not the same as Uncle Joes but close by. On that one way street that you have to loop around to get to the ferry dock. Across from where Rhumblines is. Not remote at all. Concerning :(

Not that it makes a difference but I wonder what early morning means ... 2 am or 7 am?
mit43

Post by mit43 »

I can't help but notice the time of the attack 1:40AM. There is no reason for a tourist to be on the streets at that time of the morning. I wouldn't want to be on the streets in my town at that time and the same goes for St John.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Yeah the only reason I ask is to assess my personal risk based on my personal inability to keep my eyes open beyond about 9:30-10pm when I am there. The latest night ever was a full moon party and even then I think we were home in bed by 11.

Still, what a horrible thing to have happen on vacation.
cwaver

Post by cwaver »

what is the crime situation on St. John? Are there still home invasion robberies?
I just rented a villa for a week, so I'm not causing trouble, just want to know
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

If you read the story in the Tradewinds, the 54 year-old Tennessee man had just arrived in St. John. He caught the Midnight ferry to STJ on his first day of vacation, after a late flight into STT. After getting off the ferry, he was looking for a taxi to take him to Westin where he was going to check in. Quite a welcome to the island! The incident occurred at 12:40 A.M.

As someone who is out and about at 12 or 12:30 with some frequency, it is disturbing. On the other hand, I had been noticing that its been a while since an incident like this has occurred, so I won't get too alarmed. I have personally always felt safe in St. John.
---Jim
Betty

Post by Betty »

This is the link to the article, the gentleman's flight was delayed and he missed the last Westin Ferry and had to take the last public ferry to meet with his family and the start of their vacation, the timing was not 1:46 but closer to 12:30. Take it from there!
http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/arc ... dition.pdf

If you want to read the police blogs you can read them for free at the Tradewinds, they post the weekly villa burglaries.
There is crime everywhere, the smallest towns in Wyoming or NYC, you have to always be aware of your surroundings.

Many people may not be happy with my saying this , but Personally I would not stay in a neighborhood with lots of construction going on because you will find lots of robberies going on. You can look at the burglary numbers at Virgin Grand estates as an example. This is just my humble opinion do not roast me!
Palmtrees

Post by Palmtrees »

Hey, Mit - where does it say that YOU get to decide the validity of an adult's decision to be anywhere at any time? When I'm on vacation (and sometimes when I'm not) I often stay up, and sometimes out, until the wee hours. You are entitled to your own paranoia, but not to impose it on others.
Betty

Post by Betty »

When MIT read's the article he will realize his timing is wrong, this was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is also a case of learning from others mistakes, if you come in on the last ferry maybe in the future call ahead and request transportation to meet you. This victim/tourist is still planning on coming to st John for future vacations despite his horrible experience! as it is in any city in the US you need to use common sense late at night.
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

This is an unfortunate incident that transpired and I hope they make the arrest soon as stated in the Tradewinds.

As with any other location in the world you should always be alert to your surroundings, especially at that time of night. It can happen anywhere. I see that type of incident happen at least 3 times a week in the city near me.

This incident doesn’t change my mind about St. John. We have been out late at night at Rhumblines and the Quiet Mon. I’m talking 3AM type morning and walked back to our place. As always my guard was up and alert level was at high. Keep the bling at home.
Life begins where the land ends!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Palmtrees wrote:Hey, Mit - where does it say that YOU get to decide the validity of an adult's decision to be anywhere at any time? When I'm on vacation (and sometimes when I'm not) I often stay up, and sometimes out, until the wee hours. You are entitled to your own paranoia, but not to impose it on others.
Ok, Ok, calm down. I am not paranoid. (the voices in my head said I wasn't) The article I read said it happened at 1:40. Please forgive me for such an oversight.

I was just repeating the advice given over and over about personal safety. I was not judging anyone. How did you come to that conclusion from what I posted? You may stay out however late you choose. Experience and statistics show that the chances of being involved in this type of situation increase the deeper into the "wee Hours" you go.

Comments like yours would be better handled in a PM.

Sorry to stir you up! Chill...
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
dehman

Post by dehman »

Although this is not common in STJ and I think all of this is true, the late night thing, the no bling policy, the awareness. But the officials and police need to be more proactive as I have ranted before. As I said many times, you have a few thousand people on an island, it's just not that difficult to find these criminals. You rarely hear of arrests and maybe I'm wrong but certainly not in the majority of crimes. They need to realize, the very rare violent crime aside the lesser crimes are what drives people away-residents from cities for example and obviously tourists with many choices for trips. The police like to blame circumstances, lighting, "get gates" (Virgin Grande is now gated), "get cameras for gates". Where's the responsibility? Maybe drive around some of those brand new police cars that never leave the station or go straight to the ferry docks once a crime is learned of and search if they think it's people from St. Thomas- this is basic stuff. Most importantly make some examples of people when they are arrested and publicize it- like in the BVI's. We all know that the crime rate is very, very small and I feel safe there but they need to wake up and keep it that way so they don't kill the golden goose
Betty

Post by Betty »

Dehman thanks for the update on the gate at Virgin Grande Estates, when did they start using it, do they have a manned gate or is it automated? April 14 Virgin Grande Estates had another villa robbery hopefully the gate will ease the crime on this development.
dehman

Post by dehman »

Hi Betty,

I think the gates started a couple of months ago. These types of robberies are most likely workers or housekeepers that know a house is empty I would think. Very frustrating publicity as you see in my rant above but not really a tourist issue. The gates are automatic with each house having a code.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I really feel for this guy and his family. I just couldn't imagine something like this happening to anybody.

If there was more then one person, there was absolutely no need to beat the c**** out of him. It would have been so easy to just rob him and take what they wanted without such violence.

What is wrong with these people today? What makes them like this?

I hope that this man is doing well. He seems like he has a good outlook on life and what happened to him.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"