where should i go for dinner tonite?

Travel discussion for St. John
gymnastika

where should i go for dinner tonite?

Post by gymnastika »

any suggestions? i've been cooking and eating snacks for lunch and breakfasts so i can splurge on my dinners. keep in mind that i don't have kids with me this trip and i want to try fancy schmancy places that i normally would not do here since i always have the kids in tow. So far, I've been to ZoZo's and La Tapa. Has anyone heard anything good about Asolare as of late?? it's been a couple of years since i've been. I've never eaten at Turtle Bay Estate at Caneel. Should I bother? Is seems like it would be nice. open to suggestions. I've got about 3 or 4 hours to decide. Sidenote: one nice thing about solo dining is there is no need for reservations! oooh how fun it is!!
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Sweet Plantains!
LMG

Post by LMG »

A second for Sweet Plantains!

I skipped it, and that was dumb.
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

Waterfront Bistro was great for us.
If you're doing something at Caneel, better check to see which restaurants are open. When we were there in January, they were on a rotating schedule, and never got to eat at Turtle Bay Estate because it was closed on the nights we were available.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I third Sweet Plantains if you like exotic spice dishes - if not and you want to remain in town, how about Paradiso :)

FYI - if you sit at the bar you get 1/2 price appetizers - great for chit chatting and wonderful lobster ravioli, gorgonzola cheesecake and many, many more - and you could always sit there for apps then move to a table outside on the railing and watch all that might be going on in Cruz Bay while you have you main course and dessert (at least I think they would let you do that :) )

Great food :)

Pia
Last edited by Pia on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

Eat at home. The food is better and the price is much cheaper. I find most of the restaurants incredibly overpriced and the food not very good. Uninteresting and typical beachy fare. Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay was ok but not very special and pricy. I saw stay home, relax, enjoy the view and have a few drinks (and you don't have to drive).
BillnSue

Post by BillnSue »

We've had consistently good experiences at Morgan's Mango..Haven't tried Sweet Plantains yet but have heard great things about it. Have a great meal whereever you wind up! :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I vote for La Plancha del Mar. I really like their small plates concept.

Unless you don't mind driving to Coral Bay, in which case I vote for Sweet Plantains!

It used to be that you could only eat at the Turtle Bay Estate House if you were a guest of Caneel Bay. Did this policy change when they changed the menu? We were going to call them and check when we were down, but I did not feel like going to a steakhouse so I talked John out of it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

Hmmm.... This is really hard to decide. I have thought about sweet plantains, but the drive after two glasses of wine. :wink:
Martini girl, good advice on calling caneel ahead of time.
Pia, paradiso is good as I have dined there before...half price appetizers...love the sound of that.
Joshie , looked at la plancha's menu a couple hour ago. Those scallops look good. So, tell me what you'll be wearing so I can snap a pic of you and find your true identity. Na...I wouldn't do that.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

ugh! you're killing me. no fair, no fair, your there and we're here.

it's cold here.
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

squat?? I'm only 5'2". Just eye level for me, really.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I think you should invite Joshie along and make him drive you home :-)
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I was going to suggest La Tapa or Rhumb Lines. If you're feeling a little more casual, I really dig Banana Deck and Lime Inn. I hear Joshie's bussing tables over at BD this evening. :wink: