When you are sick & contagious, do you go to work?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
LysaC

When you are sick & contagious, do you go to work?

Post by LysaC »

Major pet peeve of mine- sneezers, nose-blowers and hackers who think they NEED to be at work passing their crappy germs on to all their colleagues!

People- if you are sick, stay home, get better and come in when you stop spewing germs! If everyone actually did this then we wouldn't, as a society, feel that "but i need to be productive" guilt.

Besides, listening to people cough up phlegm is really gross. really.

we have a virus going around here at work, a fever inducing virus (can we say possible flu?!) and people keep coming in sick and coughing into their hands and spreading germs everywhere and it's pissing me off!

vent over.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Work from home!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

Trick question. The company puts in place incentives/disincentives for this kind of behavior.

As a business owner I provide paid sick leave, independent of paid time off/vacation leave. If you come to the office sick, I will send you home. You can work at home all you like while you are sick. If your work suffers, that's a performance issue, not a sick leave issue.

We also provide, at no expense to the employee, short-term disability at 100% of salary and long-term disability at 60% of salary. It's really too generous in today's business environment, but the incremental cost is not huge.

People are responsible for getting their job done, not just showing up. I put in place incentives so that people do a great job and are rewarded for it. But, if you don't get your job done, I make you go away.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I'm with you Lysa! I always try to stay home...at least while I'm contagious. I think a lot of people go to work sick because of their employer and their so-called benefits. I've had employers who make you feel super guilty for calling in sick and want you to come in anyway. They don't realize that if people come to work sick, then eventually the entire company will be sick and production will suffer. If employers would encourage people to stay home when they're sick, that would keep the entire company healthier. A couple of years ago I got a terrible flu the first of January and was home for a week! That meant I used up my paid sick leave for the entire year in the first week! When stuff like that happens, people feel the need to go to work sick the rest of the year, or get their pay docked.

Rick, do you truly expect people who are sick to keep up their performance working from home? Sick is sick. If you are home sick, you don't usually feel like working. Expecting sick people to perform from home the same way they perform at the office is unreasonable, IMHO. :)
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

At my office you get the 5th degree when you call in sick. They are old school and want you here pretty much regardless. Our sick time is also our vacation time. So I have to be pretty sick to waste a day that I could use on vacation. No seperation of sick time and vaca time is a major complaint of mine....but not a lot I can do about it in this economy.

Have to admit though when I am sick and have to come to work I make sure and be around my boss and powers that be. That way they know I am sick and here....also a little bit of revenge if they catch what I have (bad...I know, but I think of it as a little payback for the crappy time off benefits).
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I have taken 2 sick days in the past 8 years or so...and that's not something to be proud of. The 2 were when I pulled my back and could not move.

I've been working at home for a while now, but I work for a company, and last worked for a company, who does not care if you're sick.

"Get your ass to work and put in a 14 hour day. Don't want to? We have a line of people who want your job if not."

But, I'm the kind of idiot who's only taken about 15 total days off from working in 3 years because, my job's become 24x7.

Do I sit here in the basement in the dark on migraine days? yes
Sit here wrapped in a blanket when I'm sick? yes
Get on a plane and travel when I'm sick yes

I am a dope for doing it, but at least I have a good job.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Yes I do. I want the people that make me miserable on a daily basis to be more miserable than me :twisted:
Bug

Post by Bug »

The company I work for does not give paid sick day to hourly workers. If you off...your broke.

I try to get the people who work in for me to stay home when they're sick but they usually show up anyway. If I try to send them home, they don't want to leave. They can't afford to be short the money. How can I argue with that? I let them work.

XOXO
Bug
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

Funny you should ask since I am sick today.
I teach pilates classes and private train.
I do not get paid for sick time.
What I do is try to rearrange my schedule when I can.
I had a client who was sick, and kept coming in to train. Finally she went to the dr and has strep throat.
I told her she can not come back to train til I have a dr's note she is better.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I pretty much have to be knocking on death's door to not go to work. In fact, I am pretty sure that I am catching a bug that's been going around our office for over a week, but I'm not too sick to stay home yet.

My dad told me not to "waste" sick days because what if you get really sick and you use your days on when you felt OK? It's just ingrained in me now.

I'm also way too busy to be out sick. And with a new boss coming in soon, I just can't afford to be out, even if I have a month of sick days in my bank.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I won't come in if I know or think that I have something contagious. Anything stomach related and I am home for sure, even with no fever.

I will come in if it's just a mild cold--like a non-sneezing, non-hacking cold, or something not contagious. I have a hard time staying home though, even when I am truly sick--I always feel guilty. I know some people use sick time for "mental health days." I could never do that. It would feel like cheating. I even feel guilty using a sick day for a well check at the doctor!

I maxed out my sick bank (120 days) a couple of years ago and just lose the time every month now. Better than being sick, I guess!

I do wish we were allowed to flip some of our sick time into vacation days--even at an uneven ratio, but we aren't.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Our sick time, holiday and vacation is all rolled in to one amount. The rule that is really tough is if you have three call ins or late arrivals/early outs in a six month time period then you get written up. It's completely ridiculous because for instance, I was sick one day and called in which I hardly ever do unless it's bad. A month or so later our brand new heating system went out and I had to call in to have someone come fix it. Now, if I call in one more time in six months, I'm in trouble so I'll be here at work unless I'm extremely sick. I can't even imagine trying to abide by this policy with kids in the house. I rarely miss work that isn't scheduled, but their are times in life where you just don't know what will come up and hit you all at once!

I'd rather work for Rick's company!
LC

Post by LC »

I have certainly gone to work when sick and not feeling 100%. However, if I think I'm contagious, I'll work from home. And like Liamsaunt said, if it's a stomach bug, no way will I go into the office. Those things spread like wildfire. I recently had a co-worker who came in late one morning, first thing she said to me was "I'm so sick - I was up all night throwing up." I promptly shut my office door. Thanks a lot, genius. :evil:
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I have to admit I do go in when sick. Im not on salary so I justify it in that way. I have a private office and try to avoid the public areas and scrupuloulsy wash my hands through the day. Its a justification I know, but what can you do. :-)
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

You all make me appreciate my leave policy and my boss!