DELETED

Travel discussion for St. John
DELETED

The perils of booking in advance

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I'm afraid we are at the mercy of the airlines (and they ran out of mercy some time ago). We always book way in advance and use miles so schedule changes are just part of the routine for us. I check often and if the schedule thay have changed me to is unacceptable I always call and tell them what flights I prefer. Getting there late is pretty much unavoidable for us travelers from the Midwest. The reduction of flights is the biggest problem.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I remember someone posting something about if an airline changes your flight times by more than 90 minutes or something like that, they are required by law to refund all of your money if you choose to cancel the flight.

It may have been Bill from VA. Hopefully someone with more information will chime in. Maybe cancelling and starting over would be an option?

We generally do buy our tickets way ahead of time. No unpleasant surprises yet but I am keeping our fingers crossed for our upcoming trip.
loria

Post by loria »

oh, that really stinks. I have not had that happen (and we always book way in advance) but it might be because we are flying out of NY and thos flights tend to be pretty predictable (so far) the most i have had is a 30 minute time change in a flight--

just keep in mind that at the end of the day you will be in st john.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
RickG

Post by RickG »

This happens to us pretty much every trip. Delta is the only major that remains predictable from DC, but that's largely because they have few flights. Spirit Air is pretty reliable too. But United, US Air and AA all make frequent changes. The last three times we booked a direct flight via United in November they canceled the direct and we ended up on US Air code shares. AA does not send change notices until the month or two before the trip. We keep an eye on our flights and call with changes as soon as we know them.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kim&jim

Post by kim&jim »

We also book way ahead (I need to know I've got something "on the books") and use FF miles. I'm on my second round of re-scheduling with AA for our upcoming trip. When they changed it to a time and schedule I didn't like, I found what I wanted instead and called them to make the change. Last time I did it I got direct flights and they were $5 cheaper.... OK, granted it was a day earlier, but it worked! I say stay vigilant and ask for what you want!
jigzmom

Post by jigzmom »

We've only experienced flight changes due to the terrible, unpredictable New England weather, which has messed up our non-stop flights several times in the past. All we can do is watch the weather a few days before we leave and keep our fingers crossed that we don't get sent to San Juan. :x
Bill in Va

90 Minute Rule

Post by Bill in Va »

Yo...Hi there. This happened to us this past trip. Booked in Feb for a Dec trip through Orbitz. Got the flights and then in Oct, I think, got the change that the flight left at 6 AM instead of 9 AM. I saw that the price had gone down in Nov so I called and was told that because the flight had been changed by 90 minutes or more by the airline that I was intitled to a refund if I chose. I had the airline on the phone as I went on the web and booked my trip and cancelled that first trip at the same time. Call and do it...God bless...Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:34 am.