St John on less than $500/wk (no plasma donation or dumpster

Travel discussion for St. John
LMG

Post by LMG »

Thanks for sharing your experience! If I thought I could camp alone, I'd probably do this, at least just to say I did. Somehow, I don't think that'd fly though. :)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Good for you! I miss camping. John flat out refuses. I am glad you had a nice trip!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Connie

Post by Connie »

That was a great trip report. Just amazing.

I could never do it. I've had bad experiences with camping. Husband would love it though!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Lovermont

Well done!

Post by Lovermont »

I find it ironic that a lot of people go to paradise and then try to replicate the comforts of home, ie. air conditioning, washer, dryer, etc. I think Scott has got it right. Strip away all the nonsense and enjoy the sun, sand, beach, and friendly people. I'm completely taken by Scott's vacation approach. Well done!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

That's awesome! I love camping but it's been a long time (pre-marriage and kids) since I've gone for more than a weekend. (Any Iowa folks out there? I did RAGBRAI a few years in a row -- sleeping on the ground and then biking 70+ miles every day. More fun than it sounds!)

DH and the kids like camping too, so I would definitely consider something like Maho or Concordia, maybe working our way up (or down) to a bare site. What are the bathrooms like? I don't think I could do an out house for a whole week.
Scott in BHM

Post by Scott in BHM »

Wow! What a fantastic Forum. 24 hours after a relatively simple post about camping in Paradise, I find over 600 views and 19 replies.

Below are a few answers to questions and questions to answers:

Chicagoans
"What are the bathrooms like? I don't think I could do an out house for a whole week."

Not really an "out house". Shared bathrooms with flush toilets and running water in the sinks. Soap and paper towels are provided by Cinnamon in the bath houses. I think there are a total of 4 shared bath houses on the Cinnamon property. Each bath house has multiple showers, stalls and sinks. Shower water is not hot, but not cold either. Keep in mind that you could be visiting other places on Island that have air conditioned bathrooms like the Westin and Caneel during the day. I treat those facilities as fair game if I buy food or a drink.

Connie
"I could never do it. I've had bad experiences with camping. Husband would love it though!"

Share with us what you can about the "bad experiences" in the past and let's see if we can help you find solutions.

liamsaunt
"Good for you! I miss camping. John flat out refuses. I am glad you had a nice trip!"

John, make your Woman happy and take her camping ; ) Same as above for Connie. Share with us what you can about obstacles and let's see if we can find you solutions.

Again, not trying to convert all. Just trying to help the ones that are close to "Stepping Out" and trying something a little different.

Scott
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Scott, great post. I am stealing your tip about the sign for hitchhiking.

I baresite camped at Cinnamon Bay in April for 2 weeks. I did a TripAdvisor report and likened it to 5-star camping. I have camped in BC, Washington, Oregon and Australia and quite frankly, nowhere I have been has compared for amenities and ambiance like Cinnamon Bay.

I loved Cinnamon Bay camping so much that I'll be back there for another 2 weeks in Feb. I get giddy just thinking about how fabulous it was.

I can't do the trip for as cheap as you but what the heck, it's only money and I can always make more. The Cdn/US exchange rate along with airfare ($900) makes it a rather expensive vacation for me and the hours it takes to get there (19!) I could be in Australia in less time that that - but Australia wasn't nearly as beautiful as St. John. Well all of that simply justifies a 2-week stint on St. John rather than 1 week.

I have a fabulous very lightweight tent. The tent actually weighed less than my best thermarest. I downgraded my thermarest considerably due to the weight issue but I make due with it.

I agree, only a sheet is required and I go without a pillow (use my airline blow up neck rest).

I brought a single propane element, 1 titanium pot, 1 foldable bowl, 1 fork, knife, spoon, 1 cup.

Have a few of the REI absorbent towels (take up no space at all).

Foodwise I didn't want to be bothered with a cooler and cooking full meals. I brought oatmeal, a huge tub of almonds/dried fruit; protein bars; instant coffee. Breakfast was the same for 14 days (oatmeal with trailmix); lunch was a protein bar with fresh fruit and I ate dinner out every night. This trip, I am going to try to cook more food (noodles, tuna, boxed rice) so I don't have to trek somewhere for dinner every single night.

Like you, I loved hitchhiking on Island. Had never done it before but was up for the challenge. I had some of the best 10-minute conversations with folks. I'd definitely recommend it as a form of transportation around the Island. It didn't appear to be detrimental that 2 of us were hitchhiking. The days we rented a car we repaid the favour.

I have heard that the baresites reserve up to a year in advance. I booked my Feb. space last May and was told it was the last spot available. I actually had to change my vacation dates to get that one spot.

It does take a bit of detailed planning due to airline restrictions with items and weight but once you get it together the first time, the second time is a breeze. In the end, I realized just how simplified and barebones basic I can get when camping, unlike here at home where I bring everything but the kitchen sink simply because I have the space and can.
~Brenda~
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Scott I just read this and it's funny cause I've been running these same things threw my head for a couple of weeks. Wife says I can't do it cause I'm to reckless while snorkeling yada yada yada. I do tend to go out kinda far. I even promised no drinkin but no go. But hey I'm going to keep working on her. Great idea on the sign for hitchhiking. We do the credit card game too. Our next two trips will be using ff miles from cards. We pay in full every month or the cards really don't make sense. AA has been sending me offers for two years offering 20,000 miles they just upped it to 30,000 cha ching another free tick. We allready have an AA card in wifes name that has worked out great. Anyways great report, now I need to get busy and find a buddy to go with me.
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

I smell the beginning of an SOTB type trip to Cinnamon Bay campground........boys are allowed, of course! :lol:
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Scott thanks for the post and report.....cool that you won your bet. What an awesome way to experience St John.

Just met a couple on this past trip that baresite at Cinnamon for 30 days every Jan/Feb. Love the value and they rent a car just a few days. They enjoy walking and hitching a ride. They mentioned that many of the same people come year after year so they know a lot of folks. They're retired in their late 60's. She said when they get hungry for news from the states they just hitch to a bar w/a TV!!

Sounds great, but I need my a/c :oops:
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

sea-nile wrote:Thanks. Great report. I'd do it and may have to in 2010. :? Any takers for a SOTB roughing it trip? :lol:
No Way...no, no, no,no,no...........

But I really did enjoy your report!!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Good stuff, keep it coming Brenda! There's hope for even challenging times.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Brenda - your plan sounds wonderful and the fact that you have done it before and want to do it again speaks volumes --- for sure try out the Maho Bay pavilion for a meal or two - well done,beautiful view,nice people to meet and well worth the price. Enjoy the upcoming trip!!
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Exit Zero: Yes, the fact that I am going back again definitely speaks volumes. I am not keen on travelling to the same place twice (too much to see in this world) but I am making an exception for St. John and know I'll be back for a 3rd trip at some point.

I ate at the Maho pavillion 5-6 times on the last trip. From what I hear the quality depends on who is cooking from year-to-year but in April the cook was fabulous and I don't have a single complaint about any of the dinners I ate there.
~Brenda~
cavaeri

Post by cavaeri »

scott, that was an awesome post and i'm pleased to say that my bf and i will be baresite camping it the end of this month:) and like you, we're sticking to a budget...and i can't wait!! i think the only thing we are splurging on is a snuba dive one day and dinner in cruz bay one night. i feel sorry for the replies on here from ppl who would like to try this, but who have a significant other who's less enthusiastic:( I'm with you, in telling everyone to step out of their comfort zone and try something new! Believe me, i'm no avid camper and my bf detests public/shared bathrooms and showers, but we both look at this as an adventure! Anyway, not trying to rant or push, just wanted to share my excitement about my trip! thanks again scott!