Cell Phones?

Travel discussion for St. John
RJ in Wisconsin

Found a previous cell phone discussion

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

I knew this was addressed somewhere before, because I had responded about Alltel service in that thread.

Check out TripAdvisor (Sept. 26, 2006 under "internet connections & cell phones on st. john)
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
chrisn

We used both Verizon and Cingular

Post by chrisn »

My Verizon phone was real spotty and not a real good connection either. This was calling locally. Quit talking on it after that first call to our charter captain.

My Honey's Cingular phone was the bomb! Worked just like we were at home everywhere we used it. No roaming either. It's the only one we will use next time!
papabou

cingular cell service

Post by papabou »

i know the q was about verizon service but some responses have created confusion on cingular service on stj. can only speak to my own experience with cingular which is fairly extensive.

i have cingular nationwide no roaming no long distance rollover plan. stt and stj are part of the free coverage area AS LONG AS YOU AVOID THE INTERNATIONAL TOWER ON TORTOLLA. 6 trips to stj beginning oct 04. all good reception at all villas on west end and most northern beaches. no reception at west end of cinnamon and the tortola tower picked up a outgoing call from north side of haulover area. never tried in coral bay but i believe to have reception you need close to line of sight to mountaintop on stt. thus don't believe there will be free reception in that area.

never noticed but was told that the cingular icon goes off your phone's screen when you place a call and you are roaming. don't know what if anything happens on incoming roaming calls, but i do turn off my phone if out near coral bay to avoid incoming roaming.

papabou
JohnnyB

Thanks All

Post by JohnnyB »

Thanks, everyone for the info. I just want to clarify that while I'm on STT, I have no intention of calling stateside, Work, or home, if I can help it. I wanted to have a phone handy for activities and calls on the island (Reservations, information, Car problems?, etc.)

The Virgin Mobile pre-paid phone sounds like a good idea. I'm wonder how the coverage is on STT as well as STJ?
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

California Girl - I want to know about coverage since Cat and hubby will be on island with us in case we want to meet somewhere or whatever.

If I call home, it would be to check on my dog but used the calling card for that last time, and this pup (you know, the computer expert :wink: ) is young and healthy so I should need to call home.

nothintolose
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I can see the need to stay in touch with the other members of your group on-island. That's very logical :D I might get one of those Virgin Mobile jobs just in case of emergency on the island... like for instance, backing my car off a cliff! LOL! Not a bad idea actually. (the phone, not backing off the cliff!)
JohnnyB

Virgin Mobile

Post by JohnnyB »

I went to the Virgin Mobile website and checked on the coverage area. According to the site, it covers all 50 states, puerto Rico, and the US VIRGIN ISLANDS! I might pick on up and try it when we go down on March 3rd.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Let us know how it goes! We're considering the same thing for our trip in May. :)
sea-nile

Re: Virgin Mobile

Post by sea-nile »

JohnnyB wrote:I went to the Virgin Mobile website and checked on the coverage area. According to the site, it covers all 50 states, puerto Rico, and the US VIRGIN ISLANDS! I might pick on up and try it when we go down on March 3rd.
Tha is good to know. My daughter lost her cell phone :x so I am making her buy one. She wants the Oyster from Virgin Mobile. This way we will be able to communicate if my hubby and I go out and leave the kids at the villa.
JohnnyB

Virgin Mobile

Post by JohnnyB »

Ordered a pay-as-you-go phone from Virgin Mobile. The phone was free, the $20.00 I paid was for the air time. I am going to STT on March 3rd, and will report how the phone works down there. From what the website stated, The USVI is part of their service area.
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

I just called Sprint and they told me that my plan covered the USVI. Has anyone actually used Sprint on St. John?
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

I live on St. John and have Sprint. I get one to two bars of non-roaming service if I stand at the very end of our pool deck, which faces just a sliver of St. Thomas. I also get two to three bars of service in Cruz Bay and, from what I can remember, Honeymoon Beach and any other beach that faces St. Thomas. Everywhere else I'm either roaming or have no service. As soon as my contract with Sprint is up, I'm going to switch to Cingular, which seems to have better coverage here.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Hi All
I was just there and while getting off our flight in STT the attendant told a passenger in front of us that her cell phone will work in the USVIs especially if you have Sprint.
I have Sprint and it worked well all around the island and it wasn't on roam.
Scott
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Sprint works most places for us. We are typically in the Chocolate Hole/Rendezvous Bay area. Sometimes it requires a stroll out to the pool deck. Never a problem in Cruz Bay. And we've never experienced a roaming charge. I also find that our Blackberries work great all over the Island. We tend to take our jobs with us. It's a personal problem. :wink:
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Thanks Traveler and Wolfhound...
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!