Alton Brown - Feasting On Waves

Travel discussion for St. John
notahippie

Post by notahippie »

SJfromNJ wrote:Wht doesn't he know the difference between an essence and an extract.

The food looks good as does the the islands!
To be fair, my brother is a CIA (Culinary Institute of America) chef, and he didn't know what an "essence" was either.

I'm hoping I can find some authentic Carib food in STJ, but I'll happily settle for a cheeseburger in paradise.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

There is an authentic carib restaurant next door to Conrad Sutton's Car Rental. Mrs. Sutton recommended it to me this summer. A small place, excellent food and great prices. I lived in Dahlonega for 5 years, what part of North Georgia are you from?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

For authentic food, check out Shelias Pot--a little food stand in Powell Park--across from the ferry dock. Also, the restaurant greyhoundmom mentions--it's called Sogos.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Actually, besides being a geek (and doing independent production for my client, Food Network), Alton Brown is a New England Culinary Institute graduate.

"When I came up with the idea for Good Eats, I was directing commercials for a living, not cooking, so I figured I needed to get some serious learnin'. That's what New England Culinary Institute is. It was like going to medical school for two years. If you're considering a culinary education, give these folks a call before you make your move."

He mentions in the Gizmodo interview that they had a mobile Avid edit bay along for the ride. This is hardcore tech, most folks have moved to Macs and Final Cut Pro. There are just things that you can't do with a 100% digital system. Check out the noise they insert in his hand-held video shots.

This guy may not be an executive chef with varicose veins and fallen arches like Tony Bourdain, but he is hardcore and geeky. He understands how to tell a story. I like it.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI