Cell Phones?

Travel discussion for St. John
JohnnyB

Cell Phones?

Post by JohnnyB »

On our last trip to STT, we really didn't need to use a cell phone. However, on this trip we are planning to explore more of both STT and STJ and we will have a rental car, so I thought a cell phone might be useful. My carrier is Verizon. Does anyone know if I will be able to pick up a signal (without those high roaming charges) or does anyone have an alternative suggestion? Thanks!
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

The cell phone question was brought up before and I can't find the discussion. Isn't there a frequently asked questions area of this forum? I remember it was made up and cell phones was one of the threads. I seem to recall that Verizon didn't work there (that's what I have.)

I need to know if Altel can be used on St John.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Verizon will charge you at least 69cents a minute roaming charges. Cingular is the best bet on island, there are no roaming charges and the coverage is better on both sides of the island. Verizon coverage is sketchy.
[/url]
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

definitely agree with the above post. We have Verizon, and we were told of the roaming charges so I was prepared. We actually needed it so that my husband could check in with my son (the boss) of our business while we were away. Problem was that we were at Point Rendezvous and service was non- existant. If we went into Cruz Bay, we had fairly good service. Four years ago we were at Villa Maria overlooking Cruz Bay and if my husband went on the deck and faced St. Thomas, we had spotty service. Bottom line, don't count on having service with Verizon.
It's cold in NJ this am, May is just a blink away!!!!
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

We did have this topic on the forum not that long ago and my two cents worth had to do with cingular coverage. We stayed on the northshore in December and incurred a bill of over $1,200.00. For whatever reason, calls from Cruz Bay seemed to be fine but once over on the northshore, it switched to roaming charges. The good news is that the charges were eventually reversed.
STJ - I "get it"
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Has anyone else had the same problem as b-as-u-r with Cingular?

Do you know if Gifft Hill would be okay in that Cingular coverage area?

Thanks for any info,
nothintolose
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

I have Cingular and called prior to my trip to include international on my regular service. It saved a bunch of money and avoided those costly roaming charges. I don't remember how much it costs, but give them a call (here in the US :!: ) to find out more. You then switch it back to regular service when you return.

Good news is that Cingular service was great. Always had a signal.
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

I remember the previous thread about this topic as well, and I remember being completely confused after reading all of it. So I just got off of the phone with Cingular (our carrier) and I was told that I will have coverage on both STT and STJ and there are no roaming charges on our nationwide plan (we do not have an international plan, but as long as we are in the US Virgins, we do not need one). So, I guess this doesn't answer any Verizon questions, but probably the best idea is to call your carrier and ask them directly, at least to get answers about charges/roaming, etc. (They probably all say that you'll have good coverage, but that's always a gamble.) Have a great trip - don't be on the phone too much. :D
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Verizon will charge you roaming from the time you step off the plane in STT.

Coverage is basically Cruz Bay area.

Not the best service to stay in touch. I forward my business number to my cell phone so that messages are at least received. I use a calling card to grab the messages and to return phone calls to clients.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

FWIW, I have a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone and used it while on St.J last month -- it only worked in town, but when it did work, there are no roaming charges -- you just pay the regular per-minute rate (something like 25cents a min for the first 10 min a day, 10cents after that).

Right now you can get a free phone by purchasing $20 of minutes -- no plan signup or commitment needed! So you could pick one up just for the trip pretty cheaply.

After the trip, you could give it to elderly parents, kids, etc....prepaid is perfect for that. All you have to do to keep the account active is add $20 every 3 months. You can get the phones at Best Buy, Radio Shack, and Sprint stores.
http://tinyurl.com/ytemkq
Islandlife4me

Post by Islandlife4me »

We have service with T-Mobile. Two years ago, we stayed on the south shore. Ended up using the cell phone for a paper weight. I guess the phone wasn't set just right, because we didn't have service anywhere on the island. Last year, we stayed right above Caneel and had great service. Coverage was good for about the western half of the island (although I don't remember trying on the south shore again). There were no roaming charges except calls made to a USVI number.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I have Verizon, and it worked just fine making a couple quick calls from Gallows. Roaming charges will be applied, so make the calls short and sweet. I never had a call longer than 3 minutes. Do like the Corona commercial, and toss the silly thing into the water!!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I can totally understand the need of some people to be in touch with home/work while on vacation, but personally, I've already tossed out my watch and I can tell you I won't be taking my cell phone to St. John! I'm going there to get away from everything and everyone! If someone can't last a week without me, then that's their problem! If there's an emergency, the people at home who are watching my house and feeding my cat will have the number at the villa. 8)
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

California Girl wrote:I can totally understand the need of some people to be in touch with home/work while on vacation, but personally, I've already tossed out my watch and I can tell you I won't be taking my cell phone to St. John! I'm going there to get away from everything and everyone! If someone can't last a week without me, then that's their problem! If there's an emergency, the people at home who are watching my house and feeding my cat will have the number at the villa. 8)
I am totally with YOU CG.
I definitely don't want to talk to work when I am in STJ. If the cell phone doesn't work that is fine!
I will give the Villa phone number to the relatives and I won't tell my boss or employees where I am!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Last year we were in the process of switching phones so brought both down to see what kind of service we could get. One was Sprint, one was T-Mobile. The sprint got in-network service in Cruz Bay and out to Rendevous Bay. Going on the North Shore Road there was service until right around Trunk Bay, then nothing in network. The T-Mobile phone worked fine in Cruz Bay, but once we were out on Centerline Road it started picking up the BVI tower. During rainstorms it would show a satellite service. Needless to say, we did not use that phone!

We use our cell phones on vacation...to call for restaurant reservations! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.