14' swells !!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

bet Skinny's is busy tonight.......wish I was there!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Thanks for the pix Deb. I turned on the weather channel this morning to check out the weather here in the northeast and they were talking about this weird winter storm that was causing large swells and waves on the north shores of the Dom. Rep., PR and the Virgins Islands. I have never before seen a report here about the VI's unless it was about a hurricane.
latuller

Post by latuller »

We did Salt Pond yesterday and it was pretty busy--lots more people than normal we heard. No surprise given the conditions on the north. The Lion in da Sun guys wisely canceled our BVI trip today, but we managed to find a spot with Calypso for tomorrow. Larger boat and I guess they are taking a southerly route. We were on Cinnamon for a short view today where a few were braving the surf. On to Francis for a pleasant swim and a good bake in the sun! Lime Inn was for dinner-yum!
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Here is a link to a slide show/video Deb and I took last night at Peterborg, out the point to the right of Megan's Bay yesterday evening.
http://livedelifeusvi.blogspot.com/2008 ... -surf.html

Here are a few stills.

Jay
RickG

Post by RickG »

We're debating Francis Bay or Hansen Bay today... We'll probably do a drive by to see if things are okay at Francis.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Wow, I think I would be reluctant to get into the water with waves like that!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Thanks Jay so much for the slideshow/video...wow; lots of big waves crashing on the rocks!
Gotta tell ya: one thing I love about your & Deb's blog/reports/pics: you remember what it's like to be looking at the islands from our perspective (not being there) & you always provide such great visual insight! Thank you!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I tried to post a comment on your blog, but I don't think it "took". Thanks for the great video & stills. Absolutely amazing surf!
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

We're leaving tomorrow for St John and I'm wondering what the ferry ride is going to be like. We were going to take the CA ferry, but would Red Hook be better?
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

They are supposed to start dissapating by tonight. If you tend towards sea sickness bring a dramamine.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Johnson Reef was still white water at 3PM today. You're going to get wet on the CA ferry for another day or so.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

We have some pics of what the waves are doing to St. Barts here http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/st-bar ... barth.html
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
latuller

Post by latuller »

We did a Virgin Gorda trip today and it was pretty bumpy on the way over. Lots of water in The Baths that our guide said is not normally there and we had to dock in the harbor and taxi over. My boys wanted to jump off one of the high rocks, but the surf was much too high. Snorkeling at the caves was fine and we pulled up to Willy T's for lunch. Our next stop was to be Jost, but they said that White Bay was pretty much washed out. Did some snorkeling on the south side of St. John, then headed in. Still a great day, even with the rocking seas. Planning on catching the CA ferry tomorrow (we were told it's wise to avoid the St. Thomas cruise ship traffic between Red Hook and the airport?), so we may have to be prepared to get wet. Oh well, I'll gladly carry a little of this Caribbean salt home on my skin!
minnjim

Post by minnjim »

latuller wrote:We did a Virgin Gorda trip today and it was pretty bumpy on the way over. Lots of water in The Baths that our guide said is not normally there and we had to dock in the harbor and taxi over. My boys wanted to jump off one of the high rocks, but the surf was much too high. Snorkeling at the caves was fine and we pulled up to Willy T's for lunch. Our next stop was to be Jost, but they said that White Bay was pretty much washed out. Did some snorkeling on the south side of St. John, then headed in. Still a great day, even with the rocking seas. Planning on catching the CA ferry tomorrow (we were told it's wise to avoid the St. Thomas cruise ship traffic between Red Hook and the airport?), so we may have to be prepared to get wet. Oh well, I'll gladly carry a little of this Caribbean salt home on my skin!
HUH?!? I thought this thing was coming from the North. Doesn't White Bay face South? Can somebody 'splain this to me?
latuller

Post by latuller »

I kind of wondered that, too, minnjim. They kept talking about this thing wrapping around and affecting more than just north shores.?