Travel discussion for St. John
hlsess

T-MOBILE

Post by hlsess »

Let me know if you've had luck with a prepay T-Mobile phone-
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

Hi hlsess,

I had great luck with an AT&T pay as you go in Jan.

I picked it up at Best Buy for $20.00 & it came with $10.00 air time as well.
I got great reception all the back to Canada.

The Shopper
RickG

Post by RickG »

Not on St. John! My lover has a T-Mobile Blackberry - voice & data no work on the T-Mobile. It picks up the BVI $uncomm service. Go with the Cingular Go Phone.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

I used Verizon and my phone showed roaming. But no charges ever showed up on my bill. :?

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

t-mobile is bad on St. John. We have t-mobile phones and could not get a signal anywhere except for what's avaialble from the Tortola sun-com tower ($$)
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Am I the only person who's had NO problems at all using my T-mobile service on STJ? None at all. My bill was $1.30 over because they charged me per minute when I called St. John locations (Destination St. John, Baked in the Sun) using my cell phone. I didn't argue with them for that amount, but I'll bring it up before my next trip.

The only places I didn't get a signal were a few spots on the North Shore. It worked at Jost at no cost as well, as I picked up a Cingular tower there.

T-mobile uses the AT&T/Cingular network in the U.S. Virgin Islands. However, I don't know if this is different for pre-paid, as I have a huge package with them. I don't see why it would be though.
Chet

Post by Chet »

I had no problems with the t-mobile crackberry. It stayed at the villa and was used only when returning from day trips. Mrs Random brought along the iphone (AT&T) and had no problems, including syncing to the wireless connection in the villa.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

chet, you had t-mobile data service at Sol Inclination?! Interesting. I've never gotten anything to work on the south side.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

OK, I went back through my e-mails to find my message from T-mobile regarding coverage. Most of it was incorrect, but this is what I know.

They do not have their own towers there, but use Cingular/At&T's towers to provide coverage. It does not cost anything if you have a nationwide plan, but as I mentioned it does cost money per minute to call numbers in the VI area code. I am sure I could argue on that because it didn't used to, but I haven't had the energy to do that.

To see the coverage map through AT&T, you can go here:
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
Just type VI in under territory. A map will come up with names you don't recognize. It's St. Croix. Hit the button to scroll North, and it will eventually you'll see a little island with Hawksnest, Leinster, Rendezvous -- that's our little rock. The coverage map makes it look a little better than it really was in my opinion. It depends on where you are and where the sun is, I think...
crickett

Post by crickett »

Bought an AT&T Go-Phone at Best Buy for $19.99 with $10.00 in minutes included on my way to Boston. I added $25.00 so we could call the kids back here in Canada everyday and worked perfectly everywhere I tried on island.
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

thanks for all the help- I think I'll just use my verizon- we won't be using it much at all but wanted to know if it'll work