Rental Decisions

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

Rental Decisions

Post by flip-flop »

We are looking into a few options for our next trip. I know, I know I just got back.

We have rented in Fish Bay, Chocolate Hole and Maria Bluff. I am itching to try something on the North Shore. Really more accurately, something more like in between Cruz and Coral. I don't want to fully commit to either end of the island! I'd love to be near Maho/Francis. We want a pool for sure. A/C in the bedrooms. Budget is around $5000-6000 for 9 or 10 nights.

I have heard the pools are chillier on this side. Is this an issue in June? Otherwise, I have heard no real cons to this idea. Am I missing something?

Anyone have any suggestions. We need 5 bedrooms or 4 bedrooms with space to tuck at least 2 kids. Only 3 of the bedrooms need to be nice!
lisa

Post by lisa »

homepage.mac.com/lisaandmarktravel

web.mac.com/lisaandmarktravel
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I thought that I HAD to have a pool, but after hearing how much cooler they are on the North Shore, I'm seriously leaning toward La Jolla Caribe for next time.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We've stayed at lots of houses in Catherineberg and love the view from up there but all the houses that I know of in Catherineberg don't have bedroom's for kids close to the master bedroom.

Take a look at Chateau Margot. We rented it in June and a big plus is the safety fence that you can set up around the pool. We had our grandaughter (2 1/2 yr.) with us and were glad to have the fence. We loved the location on Bordeaux too. 10 minutes to the beach at Maho and about 12 minutes to Frances. PM me if you want more info.
steve

Post by steve »

As you well know, I'm sold on Catherinberg. I have rented several homes. La Jolla Caribe is set up for a family, the master bedroom is on the top floor, and there is a bedroom with two beds and a futon just off the living room. It is a little separate from the master bedroom, but not by much. Our girls stayed in that room.

On the mid floor is a set up just for a family with the master bedroom with I believe a queen bed and a bathroom in it connected by a small inside hallway to another bedroom (with a fabulous view) and two single beds which can be pushed together into a king. We had couples with small kids use those and were quite happy. There is a separate room next to that, one it is really a media room, but I've had teenagers use the futon in their, but their bathroom oddly was on the floor below.

We really enjoyed Anole our older kids were little then and they were nervous being on a floor below us connected only by an outside stairway. The upstairs has two very nice bedrooms separated by the kitchen and livingroom, They really are matching master bedrooms. So unless someone stayed on the lower-level it would be tough to have the kids close by.

We rented 2 homes in upper Carolina that we enjoyed as well. The views are not as spectacular as catherinberg and you're not as close to the North Shore beaches but we enjoyed them anyway.

Good Luck; 6 weeks to paradise again.
Steve
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We stayed at Hakuna Matata in Catherineburg and loved it.

Check out Luminaria: http://www.vivacations.com/viewproperty ... rtyID=2542

We checked out Luminaria when we were down there in June and LOVED it and it's about 4 minutes from the junction at Coral Bay.

The views are to die for - we liked them better than the Catherineburg views because you could see the BVIs AND Coral Bay.
lisa

Post by lisa »

Luminaria says they only allow children over age 6.
homepage.mac.com/lisaandmarktravel

web.mac.com/lisaandmarktravel
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Oops - thanks for catching it lisa!

I also have checked into but not seen In the Stars up there on that same ridge: http://www.vivacations.com/viewproperty ... tyID=19739 as another option for us. We really liked that area.

In Catherineburg check out Villa Peace and Plenty: http://www.villapeaceandplenty.com/

The SO's daughter and hubby and another couple stayed there this past October.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I will chime in about the kids over 6 - ask the rental agent if they make exceptions to the policy.

We wanted to return to our favorite rental, which has a no kids under 8 policy, and offered to sign a waiver but the owners declined.

When we were villa shopping this year, we found a place we were very interested in that again had a no kids under 8 policy. I was up front with the agent about our 2 year old and he said "no problem", which was a very pleasant surprise. The house even comes with a highchair and pack and play.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I agree about the kids policy. Usually, esp. in off season, it is negotiable!
Rastadog

North Shore Villas

Post by Rastadog »

We're spending the week July 4, 2008 on St. John and one of our group is renting Peace and Plenty. It sounds like it meets all of your requirements and is a very nice place from what I've been told. Pool temps should be in the mid-80's in June. Peace and Plenty is represented by Caribbean Villas, SuiteStJohn and can also be found at VRBO http://www.vrbo.com/124659.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Mystic Ridge is the perfect match:
http://islandgetawaysinc.com/mystic-ridge.html
We stayed there the first 6 years we visited the island.

Email Kathy - she's the best.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]