St John vs Hawaii snorkeling

Travel discussion for St. John
Summerlover

St John vs Hawaii snorkeling

Post by Summerlover »

Bringing some virgins to St John and a bit concerned that they are expecting something like they saw in Hawaii.
I have nothing to compare it to since we've never been to Hawaii.
Can those who have been to both offer up some thoughts on how we can explain the "why" it is different?
I don't want them to be disappointed, so I'd rather warn or let them know it will be different.

It's early and I'm lazy to look but where is it that you can have lunch and then take advantage of their lounge chairs? I believe it's in Coral Bay?
Thanks everyone!!
iheartsj

Re: St John vs Hawaii snorkeling

Post by iheartsj »

I have never been to Hawaii. However, my niece and her husband have been there many times and visited St. John last year for the first time. They much preferred St. John to anywhere they had been in Hawaii.

As far as the restaurant with the lounge chairs -- Nothing like that in Coral Bay. In Cruz Bay, there is Warfside Village with several bars that have plastic chairs on the beach but not lounge chairs. Could you be thinking of Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyke?
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have never been to Hawaii. Our daughter and son-in-law just came back from Kona, however, and were not impressed with the snorkeling.

Having said that, we have all gone to a STJ beach and been disappointed by the visibility, damaged coral, or absence of marine life at times. They need to know that the snorkeling will not be like going to an aquarium every time. Sometimes our enthusiasm for STJ makes it sound much better than it really is. That is probably because we don't discuss the more disappointing days as much.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

watergirl

Post by watergirl »

I was last in Hawaii about 20 years ago. At that time the snorkeling was amazing, but again that was before global warming. My memories of snorkeling in St. John in that time period are very different from the way it is now.
The major difference is not in the snorkeling, I think, but in the water itself. Many areas of Hawaii have very strong currents which make swimming, snorkeling and even wading difficult. I remember seeing a sign on a beech in Kauai that said something to the effect of No Swimming or wading past your knees, then a list of how many people had been swept out to sea. Scary!
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

Sorry, the sign was on a Beach, not a tree.
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I've been to Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. There are some good spots where the currents and the ocean swell aren't too bad. But, the water is colder and I much prefer snorkeling on St John to anywhere I've snorkeled in the Hawaiian Islands. Don't get me wrong, Hawaii, especially Kauai, is stunningly beautiful, but as far as snorkeling goes, St John wins easily...
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
awardb

Post by awardb »

I went to Hawaii 6 times, though it's been 15-20 years. Going back to STJ for our 8th time this summer. Snorkeled on Oahu, Maui and Kauai many times. Water in Hawaii is a little colder, depending upon when you go to STJ. Some of the Hawaii snorkeling is pretty spectacular, some not so much. Some of Hawaii snorkeling can be a little more dangerous, since Hawaii is but a dot on the map in the middle of a very deep ocean, compared to STJ.
Still, if you compare the best snorkeling spots on STJ to Hawaii, I think it holds up very favorably. Especially when you consider the amount of great snorkeling available direct from shore in STJ. Certainly the point between Honeymoon and Salomon Beach, Waterlemon Key, Hawksnest/Gibney, and many others are very good.

So I would say if you take them to some of the better snorkeling spots on STJ, they won't be disappointed, compared to Hawaii. If you do a day charter, certainly the Congo/Lovango Key area, The Indians and several other boat-only snorkels near STJ compare to if not exceed anything I snorkeled in Hawaii. And I haven't even mentioned the lack of crowds on STJ compared to Hawaii. We snorkeled Oahu often, since, as one of the oldest islands, it's got some larger beaches and coral. But many of the good snorkeling beaches look like Trunk Bay when the cruise ships are in port on STT. So that's a big plus for STJ - lack of crowds.

The other thing I noticed is that since STJ is 65%+ a National Park, with all the protections that brings, is much better because of it. In Hawaii, you see youth spear-fishing and taking coral heads all the time, so while there is a fair amount of fish life, the coral is "picked over" in many places. There's nothing stopping anyone from pulling their boat into almost any bay in Hawaii and dropping anchor anywhere - something forbidden in most of the great bays in STJ.

Hope this helps!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

Appreciate all the responses everyone.
We are looking forward to their facial expression's when they realize how beautiful the island really is.
Each beach is different and the hiking is such a plus.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Lunch + lounge chairs = Vie's???

We've never found loungers available after mid-morning, but perhaps if you were thinking of a late afternoon lunch? You do need to pay to access the beach and lounge chairs, there.
awardb

Post by awardb »

If you pay Vie to use the beach, can you bring your own beach chairs? And does anyone know if there is much in the way of shade on that beach?
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

Yes, it was Vie's I was thinking. Thanks for the tip. :D
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Yes, you can bring your own chairs to Vie's. Maybe 2/3 of the beach has seagrapes for shade. It's one of my favorite beaches, but it does get hot in the afternoon, unless you've got a shady spot.
Vie has changed her menu this year. She's only serving hot dogs and rice and beans with meat sauce. No, it doesn't sound like she's going to go back to her old menu. :cry:
awardb

Post by awardb »

And since it seems like I've been to almost every other beach on STJ *other* than Vies/Hansen, what are the snorkeling conditions around there? I'd love to know....
AwardB
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

we love vies ..the beach is nice for swimming, there was a floating bar there a few weeks ago when we were there ,but the snorkling is better elsewhere..yes there is shade if you get early in the seagrapes to the far left.. have fun! even the ride out is breathtaking!
awardb

Post by awardb »

Thanks..... spending all day at the beach broiling in the sun ceased to be fun way back when I was in my late 30's, probably. So we'll check it out and grab the sea grape shade on the left by getting there early. I keep hearing reports that the snorkeling is very good to just passable for Vies/Hansen. Guess we'll have to find out for ourselves....
AwardB