Trip report St. John Day (Dream)

Travel discussion for St. John
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

11:49 am, today
Another day in paradise - Turn over in bed to be greeted by the warm sunrise through the villa window (Reality - roll over in bed , clear frosted window see grey, grey,sky more snow on the ground)
Sit out on the deck for coffee with a view of the green verdant hills and Coral Bay below ( Huddle under down with coffee and pour over recent St. John Forum entries to escape)
Enjoy watching the hummingbirds and banaquits flit about the tropical flowers ( the poor puffed up juncos, chickadees and titmouses (titmice?) desperately searching to see if I've braved the snow pack & icy deck to give them seed)
Quick dip in the villa pool for some exercise ( shovel path to car, scrape at ice on windshield )
Pack the jeep with snorkel gear, towels, sunscreen (pack the snow boots, Yaktrax,blanket in case we're stranded on the highway)
Roll along North Shore Road , windows down, enjoying the island scents, gazing at the blue bays below the overlooks, steering around the ruts in the road to Lamshure ( clogged highway, ducking for cover as the ice & snow off the roof of the huge semi in front of me comes flying at me, dodging the pot holes the size of the excavations at Cinnamon Bay )
Park steps from the beach, grab the gear - darn sand in my sandals ( Dont park alternate side of street, dont park when road is snow covered - hike from Oshgosh parking spot through muck and mush , slipping and sliding - brush calcium chloride, rock salt from wet feet)
Sit on the warm silky sand, snorkel peacefully among the tropical beauties under water - around to Yawzi Point, lounge and picnic on Sam & Jacks-'s Uncle Peeps turkey sandwich- gee its hot - lets head to happy hour ( Drink copious amounts of tea to stay warm, live in office bathroom, Ugh soup again for lunch - can't face another cup of tea - hot cocoa - what the heck I deserve it )
Painkiller or Bushwacker at Beach Bar, sun in my eyes (Clear snow and ice off car, sit shivering as it warms up )
Bumping happily relaxed up Mamey Peak Road (35min commute turns into 2 hours, hope I make it up the hill and up the slick driveway)
Cucumber cocktail, Grilled Mahi with coconut / ginger, fresh vegeys (comfort stew or pasta again - I won't need to be in a bathing suit until April)
Music on deck gazing at the stars deciding which beach, snorkel and restaurant to hit tomorrow (Hot bath, dry out skin even more, collapse under down again, turn on TV to see tomorrows forecast of another 5-8 inches or more!)

I surrender !! I'm sure those of you in New England have hit the wall much sooner but I'm there now. I will never again complain of being hot, having sunburn, frizzy hair or insect bites.
April can't come soon enough.
silverheels

Re: Trip report St. John Day (Dream)

Post by silverheels »

Thank you for your dream. We in New England have been dreaming of warmth,sunshine,beautiful blue waters to replace the white (now dirty snow).
St. John cannot come soon enough but May sounds eons away.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I really wish there was a love button to hit for this! Thank God for our abilities to imagine and mentally escape to our place of happiness. Thanks for sharing this! April is almost here! Hang in there!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Great post. Hang in there. We have this one storm today and I hope that's it.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Amen!!!
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

Bless your little "cold cold" heart! I can't imagine! Loved reading the post and I think we can all relate to it. I'm ready to get back to my happy place. Until then I'm staying under this heated throw and watching House of Cards.