The real deal on Xmas/NY Eve week?

Travel discussion for St. John
jmq

The real deal on Xmas/NY Eve week?

Post by jmq »

Calling all forum users – regulars, newbies, lurkers – who have experienced being on the island over these holidays.

Just curious - - bottom line - is it worth it?

Of course the disclaimers that might apply could include that being on STJ with your loved ones is better than being somewhere cold etc...
But, what was your experience? Is just being there enough to overcome the crowds, cost, etc.? Did you wind up feeling it was too crowded? Too expensive? Days too short? Water not quite warm enough? What is the Xmas and NY Eve vibe like on island? How do you square getting away/being away over the holidays with those left behind at home? Did you miss being at home for the holidays? Would you do it again? If you are a regular holiday week visitor, what brings you back?

Any details/opinions you can share would be interesting. Thanks.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
david@va.beach

Re: The real deal on Xmas/NY Eve week?

Post by david@va.beach »

when our children were younger, we would come down often for xmas. Our friends had a great sailboat (1924 alden schooner)..The trip WAS xmas..We'd bring a string of xmas lights and decorate a tree branch and put it on the deck of our house .
It was very cool to see it lit up from down in coral bay ( the hillsides were a lot darker back then) The water alays seemed warm enough for us. Sometimes it would get breezy spells(some called the xmas winds..warm though) The
season was festive like everywhere else..The local xmas songs could be kinda funny..Some thought "sleep in heavenly peace" from Silent Night was "sleep in heavenly jeep"!!! To make a long story short...as I usually do..It's all good all the time on st.john..
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

Any holiday on STJ is better than the same holiday anywhere else! We've spent Christmas/New Year's on the island twice. That said, after doing it last year we've decided that we won't do it again. It was fairly crowded. Our villa did not have a higher holiday rate, but many do. Water temperatures were definitely cooler. But the deciding factor for us was the Christmas Winds. The first time, they weren't so bad. But last year, they were howling, and virtually did not stop for 2 weeks- day or night. The water was so churned up from the winds that snorkeling was abysmal. And the blowing sand provided free skin exfoliation. Definitely not the usual peaceful experience on the island. Hence, this year our trip is in February. Just my $0.02.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Our first 2 trips we came down right after Christmas and stayed through the Sunday after New Years Eve. I LOVED having NYE on island. (First trip was with 2 other families and second trip we met the loria family and spent NYE with them - so fun!) For 5 years in a row we celebrated NYE somewhere other than home (Maui, STJ, Kauai, friends' lake house...) and it's a great way to celebrate that holiday.

Next 3 trips to STJ were all for 8 Tuff (President's Week) so still high season. Prices are higher at most villas for Christmas / New Years, but not much better during President's Week. Weather was generally great on all our trips (with some rainy days thrown in.) Water temp was fine for us on all trips... but then again we're used to Lake Michigan. :)

There are only a couple of times I remember being bummed out at the beach - once when we were at Salt Pond and a ton of people showed up because there were high swells on the North Shore (and one of them had a stinky cigar.) Another time the beach at Maho was practically gone due to high water, and the only real usable stretch was occupied by a rather large group yoga or exercise class.

I think it's worth it, but I used miles for tickets and hunted for lower priced villas / cottages. If you're used to low season on STJ, I think the prices and crowds at the holidays could be a bit of a shock.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

We've Spent Christmas and New Year's twice on STJ and loved every second. It gets more difficult every year to get the family together on Christmas. Everyone has their own kids, in-laws and distances to deal with so we do the family celebration thing a week early so that frees up Christmas for us. This year we swore that next year we'd be back on STJ again for the actual Holidays. It is expensive, sometimes just rediculous, but the market sets the price, right? Supply and Demand. And next year we are demanding a Villa on STJ and we'll live with the pain of the price. On the downside The pool of the villa we had been renting on a regular basis on the Coral Bay side was far too cold to use that time of year, so I bought a wet suit and solved that problem. But just sitting on the deck at night, looking at the stars, listening to the waves and having drinks with friends........... priceless!

Go for it. You'll love it!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Great feedback so far - thanks! Any more insights from others and/or those just returning would be nice too...
P-600

Post by P-600 »

This past week was so incredibly busy here. Everyone was commenting on how they had never seen it like that before which was really great for business but It was too much In my opinion. The beaches were packed four to five rows deep and there was no parking. I even talked to a few tourists who wouldn't come back during the holidays because it is just too crowded.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

I just got back from STJ going from Christmas to New Years. We have school aged kids and have other family plans over Presidents week so we were pretty limited on times we could go.

With the caveat that we had an awesome time, our boys love St. John (they are 7 and 4), they have their favorite places and its just fantastic watching them grow each year doing more and more in the water, snorkeling, etc. but its really a very busy time. On New Years Eve especially, I have never seen the Island so crowded during the day. I'm not sure how many cruise ships were in town, but we got to Maho before 10:00 and barely got a spot.

Its certainly doable and if that's the only time you can do, but its significantly more crowded than pretty much any other time of year. You need to move yourself early if you want to stake out a nice piece of real estate on the beach or even a parking spot. By 10:30, all the spots on the side of the road by Cinnamon are taken, forget about actual spots in the lot.

For next year, we are considering moving things around to avoid Christmas week. If that proves impossible, we'll bite the bullet because a crowded St. John is still much better than no St. John at all.

(Not addressed above - the exorbitant prices of accomdations wherever you are looking.)
jmq

Post by jmq »

Thanks for replies.

Some of the crowding levels this year due to the extra days off that folks got with the Thursday holidays and/or the improved economy?
jmq

Post by jmq »

P-600 wrote:This past week was so incredibly busy here. Everyone was commenting on how they had never seen it like that before which was really great for business but It was too much In my opinion. The beaches were packed four to five rows deep and there was no parking. I even talked to a few tourists who wouldn't come back during the holidays because it is just too crowded.
A famous Yogi once said "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
coralbay14

Post by coralbay14 »

Happy New Year everyone. I have been a lurker on this board for awhile. Just returned from my 2nd consecutive New Year's week on St. John and I felt the need to comment on this post. My husband and I stayed on the Coral Bay side for the 2nd time and with the exception of some "crowding" one day at Francis, we were perfectly comfortable. Found parking at Francis, Salt Pond and Vie's pretty easily. Happy hour at the villa pool, easy dining at Skinny Legs (no wait for a table), Indigo Grill (bar seating twice), reservations secured in advance at Shipwreck and Aqua Bistro made for an easy time. Yes, it is more expensive than going in July, but if New Year's week is the only time you can go...and you can afford it, GO!!!! and have a wonderful time. Traveling each day in New York City for work, my definition of "crowded" is very different than many people. I would take crowding on St. John any day over the crowding I experience every night in Penn Station waiting for a train to go home. The peaceful feeling I experience at midnight on NYE when the Morovian Church rings it's bells cannot be replicated.

Hope and planning to return for 2015/16. Have fun and safe travels wherever and whenever you go!! :D
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

We just returned home this past weekend, came down 12/27-1/3. The island was crowded. Parking at north shore beaches was non-existent unless you got there super early. Felt like we were in Disney World as we had to be up and on the road by 8:30-8:45 am to secure a parking spot. Went to Honeymoon our first full day after striking out at other beaches. Even Caneel parking was packed, but managed to get a spot both in the lot and on the beach. Starfish and St John Market all picked over everyday for popular snack items, breads, bagels, etc. We had restaurant reservations for each night, so that was not a problem. In-town parking was tough too. Slim Man's was full most nights, had to park at the tennis court lot a few times. Struggled to find parking in Cruz Bay even in the middle of the afternoon to do some shopping, primarily due to cruise ship days. NYE was fun (mostly for our teen/college-age daughters) Joe's Rum Hut/Beach Bar was hopping.

Villa pricing was outrageous, but we sucked it up so we could all be together.
Got to STT airport extra early on departure day, beat the crowds, only to sit in the plane waiting 1.5 hours for takeoff clearance. Captain said too many flights coming and in leaving at same time...ugh.

All in all, not sure I'd go back during that week. It was not nearly as relaxing as I would have hoped, given all the rushing around to get parking and beach space. Weather was perfect, water was fairly warm and calm. Only had one windy day at Cinnamon, otherwise, can't complain. Took Born to Rhumb to Jost one day, hung out at One Love, watching all the other tourists walk down the beach to Soggy Dollar, which was jam packed. Soooo many boats in the water on White Bay. One jerk pulled in so far and almost hit our kids throwing out his anchor in waist-deep water. Unbelievable :shock: :shock:

We still enjoyed being away that week, but felt it was too busy, less relaxing.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I agree with P-600 ( Julie) it was a zoo- busier than last year for sure! If I was spending the money to come
And could pick anytime - I would come in May or September/October. There really isn't tons to do here for New Years. Weston didn't have fireworks this year for NYE though they did have them downtown. I was super glad we live out in Coral Bay.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Just got back yesterday, was there since Dec 30. This is our first time going at this time of year and we stayed at Gallows. We've been a couple times Presidents Day and Christmas-New Years was definitely busier.
Saw many people get turned away from Rhumblines and Lime Inn with no dinner reservations on 2 different nights. Definitely needed to get to beaches early to get a parking space and a place to sit and the beaches got pretty crowded by noon.
The winds were pretty strong a few days and did affect the clarity of the water for snorkeling.
Will be submitting a trip report after i adjust to this frigid weather!
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.