Taxi Overcharge - How Do You Handle It?

Travel discussion for St. John
IA Joe

Taxi Overcharge - How Do You Handle It?

Post by IA Joe »

My wife and I arrived late Monday night. Due to mechanical delays on American, we did not get to the airport and collect our luggage until about 10:45 pm. I knew we would not make the 11:00 ferry, but I knew we would make the last ferry at midnight.

Anyway, while at the airport, I read the taxi rates, $11/pp plus $4 for bags, so I figure a total of $30 for the two of us, right? With a $10 tip, I figure I will give the driver $40.

We get to the airport, and I hear the driver tell the couple in front of us, "Two of you? That will be $50." When it was our turn to get our luggage, he told us the same thing. I was so happy to be making the ferry after our delays, and so happy to be going to St. John, that I just paid him the $50. I sure didn't mind the extra $10; what I minded was the deliberate overcharge. It was a full cab of 10 people. If it were just a few of us, I would have understood.

My question is, what would you do? Would you confront the driver about the overcharge, or would you just happily pay it and be on your way?

Joe
snorkeler525

Re: Taxi Overcharge - How Do You Handle It?

Post by snorkeler525 »

I would have said something and told him it was $30 for 2 people and 2 bags. Then, I would not have tipped him since he tried to gouge you. They can charge a surcharge between midnight and 6am but you were before then. Also, even with the surcharge, the rate should have been $34 not $50.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

When we on our Honeymoon in June of 07 we took the ferry over to St Thomas to see if the camera shop over at Havensight was still open...The ships had left for the day and I guess the taxi driver thought we had missed our ship...so he left us there and charged us 50 bucks to take us just to Havensight...I was dumb founded...there were other people with us but they didnt get out, Im not sure where they were headed...I thought maybe he thought they were with us...I honestly didnt know what to think...Hubby paid him really before I had chance to realize what had happened...anyway...we walked around for a bit stunned and most things were closed...another taxi driver stopped and asked if we needed a ride we told him back to Red Hook, but I asked how much before we got in...it was about 7 bucks if I remember correctly...we told him what had happened and he was so mad...he said that's why they have a bad name...he gave us his card and said call him if we needed a ride...I did call the cab company and complain...to no avail...but....when we went back over the next day while the ships were in port, as we got off the ferry...guess who was sitting there...the taxi driver from the night before that had over charged us...I walked up to him and said...I think you over charged us last night and I'd like my money back...he stood up and reached in his pocket and gave me 35 bucks back...lesson learned...I ALWAYS ask how much before we get in any taxi...ANYWHERE we go...Its a shame that some of them try to rip peeps off and they all get a bad name...I am always careful to pay attn to their ID's hanging in the cab..and make mental note of who they are and what make of their vehicle is just incase there is a problem..or we loose anything...I left my phone in one a cpl yrs ago and was able to let them know what the driver looked like and the color...I did end up getting it back..Mrs Capn Jay picked it up for me and mailed it back to me..
Sorry this happened...but there are honest drivers out there...hope you have better luck going back...:)
[/url]
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

I live on St. John and travel to the airport about 2-3 times per year. In the past two years the driver has attempted to overcharge me each time. The rate to and from Red Hook is posted on the wall at the terminals. The rate is $11 each for 2 or more passengers plus $2 for a carry on size bag and $4 for a large bag.

I have the correct amount of money ready to pay the driver and always ask what he charges before getting into the taxi. I have invited more than one driver to walk over to the sign to check the proper rates. And have questioned whether or not he is a member of the Taxi Commission.

If the driver doesn't attempt to overcharge me, he gets a tip.

Taxi Commission 340-693-4211 taxiinspector@yahoo.com
You can contact them with complaints but you will need to id the taxi. I haven't seen a taxi id posted inside a taxi in a long time. But you can see the license plate. If you are overcharge please report it to the Taxi Commission. Something needs to be done to pull the drivers into line.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Take a photo of the rates that are posted at the airport (and at Red Hook) with your phone and whip it out if ever there is an attempt at being overcharged.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Great idea Pia...
We do this before we get into any taxi.... along with their L. plate.
BetsyV

Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

This is so helpful! Great idea Pia ! :D