Those Bittersweet Last Days – Days Seven through Nine Trip R

Travel discussion for St. John
nikkiki

Those Bittersweet Last Days – Days Seven through Nine Trip R

Post by nikkiki »

Thanks for sticking with me through this ungodly long trip report! I'm gonna wrap it up here, promise!

Link to Day One: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26974
Link to Day Two: http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... =1&t=26978
Link to Day Three: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26985
Link to Day Four: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26989
Link to Day Five: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... 2-oMPldX0c
Link to Day Six: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... 3PrIPldX0c

Day Seven
We've been badly neglecting the south side of the island, so we decide to head that way this morning. I have that little moment of panic when I wake up (only 2 more days! Still so much to see!). We head to the parking lot by Salt, but it's completely empty, and it looks so unfamiliar we just keep driving! I realize our mistake when we end up on a rutted dirt road. Always up for an adventure, so we continue along until we find ourselves at Little Lameshur. I'm so glad we did! This is easily one of my new favorite beaches. We're so enamored by this little piece of paradise, I don't think we remember to take a single picture.

We decide to head back along the road to find Salt, and this time the parking lot is properly full and I have no trouble finding it. Salt is one of my favorite snorkels, and this time is no different.

I'd love to keep exploring all day, but as lunch time approaches, we decide to pack up and find food. Lots of restaurants over this way seem to be closed on Mondays, but Pickles in Paradise is open. YUM. I've never eaten here before, but I won't make that mistake again.

We drop Beth at the villa for a quiet afternoon, and the guys and I decide it's time to do a little geocaching. For those unfamiliar to the activity, geocaching is a little like treasure hunting. I use an app on my phone to find the geocache GPS coordinates, and then you look until you find the cache, usually a small box. There's a log book for you to sign, and you can take and leave small trinkets for the other hunters. Mike and I often cache at home and on vacation - it's a fun way to get out and see a new area. I pull up the caches on my phone and there are several on the East End, so we head back that way for the afternoon. While Mike and I chase caches, Tony hunts booty of a different sort.

We find several caches and have a great time searching for them.

It's awfully hot today, and we're tired, and, well, no excuses. Day drinking at Shipwreck commences.

We continue back at the villa with a Blackhawks game and some tacos for company.

Day Eight
Today I've promised the group that we'll visit Trunk. They've all been very excited to go, but I was wary because crowds just aren't my style. It's a beautiful beach, but I don't enjoy being kicked in the head by fins. It's packed, as usual, but we enjoy the snorkel trail, try to keep injuries to a minimum, and then head over to the concession stand for some ice cream. Beth and I find adorable dresses in the gift shop and decide to be twinsies for our last night dinner. We spend the morning at Trunk, and then head back to the villa to finish eating our groceries. We did a pretty good job with the food planning!

Back at the villa, we spend the afternoon packing, and swimming in the pool. I'm getting that melancholy feeling I always get the day before we leave. I love this place, I love the memories I've been lucky enough to make here, and I'm so grateful for every minute.

We decide on one more photo shoot, a nice dinner, and an early bedtime. We head to Maho for sunset shots between the palm trees, and Tony gets a lot of nice pictures of us.

We decide on Banana Deck for dinner, another new restaurant for me. Nice choice. I have a delicious steak and the view is lovely.

Day Nine
Walk of Woe day. I never allow pictures of myself today, it's just too sad. We decide to head into Cruz Bay and return the car, then have an early lunch before we board the ferry. Except we discover that no one seems to be open early enough for lunch. We eventually beg the nice bartender at the Beach Bar to let us hang out until they are ready to serve us. We grab a quick meal and get on the ferry.

Don't cry, don't cry.....I always cry. I can never bring myself to look back at St. John as the ferry pulls away.

We get settled at the airport - we've decided to arrive suuuuuuuuper early. Tony gets to work editing some photos, the ladies read, and Mike amuses himself with his tablet. And then the electricity goes out. It's out for a bit, and when it comes back on we grab some food in the restaurant. They call boarding for our plane. I cry again. What a chump. Flights home are uneventful. We leave our terminal when we get to Fort Lauderdale to get dinner in another terminal. On the way back through security, I forget to empty my Nalgene and they make me throw it away (not enough time to go through the entire line again). I cry. Beth buys me a Kit Kat. Thank God for friends.

We get back to Chicago, and the shuttle comes to pick us up. They have the car ready and waiting for us at our parking lot (nice touch!). It's 2am, I'm exhausted, I have get up for work in 4 hours......but I'm smiling. What an amazing adventure. Until next time, St. John!

Thanks for reading, forum friends. I hope this was informative, happy to answer any questions any one has!

P.S. I've already got my list ready for next time. Things I've never done but WILL do in November:
Mangrove snorkeling at Princess Bay
Snorkeling the Wreck of the Rhone
Sushi (looking for your suggestions here forumites - is Caneel best for sushi? Do I have other options?)
Vie's
Honeymoon beach
420 to Center
michigan girls

Re: Those Bittersweet Last Days – Days Seven through Nine Tr

Post by michigan girls »

Great trip reports - thanks for sharing. I always cry on the ferry. My bff/traveling buddy knows to just leave me alone. The newbie with us tried to cheer me up. No good, I just need my moment.

Having the next ticker already in place sure helps though, right?

Snorkeling the mangroves = awesome. My travel buddy says she'll never do it again after having a bad experience with a cloud of baby jellies a couple years ago. In August my son will do the snorkel with me, so I'll get my fix that way.
Pia

Post by Pia »

LOVE the sushi at Caneel :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I loved, loved your trip report! Each installment was fun and the pictures were stunning. Thanks!!!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Wow! Great report all the way through! Thanks so much for sharing your trip and the amazing photos. So glad your friends "got it". Don't worry about the crying you are not alone! I have yet to leave without crying in fact I think it gets worse with each trip. Thanks again! Enjoy your ticker!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Thank you for taking me along on your trip! I'm starting to plan our 2015 return!
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

Thanks everybody! I really enjoyed writing these. I'm a sushi newcomer (just had fish for the first time in my life last year) and I am SO excited about getting Caneel sushi next time. Maybe I'll even convince ifloat to try some. My friends are already daydreaming about their next trip, and boyfriend signed up for 5 more days in November. I love it when people "get it" as bad as I've got it.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

THANK YOU for sharing y'alls trip! What a wonderful time y'all had!
Little Lameshur (or the other one) is now one of our faves, too, thanks to Sylvia and Ward.
Love the steaks (and drinks and conch fritters and...) at Banana Deck, and Shipwreck is also one of our faves.
On the ferry leaving, I don't think I've cried-cried, but I always have tears in my eyes that I have to fight back for sure! It's so sad knowing that's it's over for this year, and we have 365 more days until the next visit.