Frustrated and a bit annoyed

Travel discussion for St. John
madelon

Re: Frustrated and a bit annoyed

Post by madelon »

Hi nancyr84,
I checked personally, and several e-mails were sent, BUT they bounced back! We are trying to find our why. We are also having other problems with our e-mail, and I have called in the tech to fix it. Again, I apologize and assure you that you are reserved. When the problem is fixed, you will receive written confirmation. Lonnie (Office Manager).
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

Always (except 1 time) rent (25+ years) from STJ Car, never had any issue and the staff is always friendly and very helpful. Just rented for July 2014, and I did get an email confirmation..

I had a very unpleasant experience that other time from another agency, no names but it was at the Westin. Never again!
jclampet

Post by jclampet »

Lonnie, I hope you are seeing all the responses. I also have used SJCR on all of my stays with the primary consideration being parking and ease of access. But I will reflect a rather strong opinion on this issue because of what happened several years back. I came to the Island with a reservation for a jeep I had made nearly a year in advance. I also did not receive an email confirmation mainly because I had the reservation made through Carefree Getaways. When I arrived I was told that a local who had the last available vehicle had not returned it and my rental would not be available for the first day. Carefree arranged for me to have a car from Bouganville which I had to pay about $80 for that day, one would think all's well that ends well since I did get my rental from SJCR the following day. Problem is when I went to check out from SJCR at the end of my stay, I was charged for the complete week. I explained that my vehicle was not available the first day and I had to pay extra to get a car for the first day from Bouganville, but was told that was just how it is since supposedly one day is free?? I made the reservation for a week, not six days, If for no other reason, the inconvenience of having to run around changing cars should have been enough for the days credit but primarily it should have been so because my car was not available on the first day of a reservation made well in advance of my stay. Suffice to say, I was never given the credit to my card. So the next time I came to island I made the reservation by myself and specifically requested an email confirmation so at least I some paperwork available should there be another mix up. It took no less than 5 request to finally get a confirmation which as the thread author noted, was very cursory and informal. while I had no problems when I checked out this time, curiously, the manager on duty offered me $200 off the rental cost if I paid via cash or travelors check?? For obvious reasons since they already had my credit card number, red flags went up immediately and regardless I had neither the cash nor access to a travelors check. I declined the offer, but to this day still find it to be a very curious thing to offer such a thing to a traveler getting ready to board the ferry out.. See my meaning??
Last edited by jclampet on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jclampet

Post by jclampet »

Seems to be evident you should not give up your effort with this company to get a formal notice of reservation. Everyone is voiceing laid back island time excuses for this thing when the truth is they are responsible to same business watchdogs as anyone else in the U.S.