Three Weeks Later...

Travel discussion for St. John
chicagoans

Three Weeks Later...

Post by chicagoans »

Three weeks ago:

Now:

That thing that looks like a skinny creek in the photo above - that's a sidewalk. Flooded with melted snow.
loria

Re: Three Weeks Later...

Post by loria »

BLah! i am so done with this winter!!!!!-- we didn't get snow here-- but it was seriously windy and 18 degrees this morning......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
rays&rum13

Post by rays&rum13 »

Ew! Us too! Over it!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

That photo was just too pretty to do justice to the fresh hell this weather has become.

This morning I had to leave Rockport Mass to make it to Salem for an important 9:30 showing of a property. It's a 45 minute drive on a nice day. Chicagoans photo would have you all thinking "Isn't that pretty?" I gave myself an extra hour to get there.

It's 17 degrees and snowing sideways. There has been so much snow and freezing rain this winter that all the city and state budgets are diminishing the snow removal/ salting efforts. Do you know how when it is below 20 degrees your windshield wipers freeze into a certain position that they won't clear your field of vision and nothing you can do will make them work properly? Well it makes driving on the worst designed highway on the face of the earth (Rt128) when there is nothing but salt and snirt (dirty snow) splashing on the windshield a great big hairy pain in the ass. That's what.

So that was my day. But do you know what? I don't care. I have a STJ trip in the pipeline and I can let all the snirt and inhumanly freezing temperatures have their fun.
lprof

Post by lprof »

I do REMBEMBER snow and snirt!
Sympathies to all who KNOW snow and snirt today!

Agent99, I love seeing/hearing you around more often... pretty pix anyhow, chicagoans!
Safe and warm thoughts to everyone.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thank you for that kind welcome (back) iprof!!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Agent99 wrote:That photo was just too pretty to do justice to the fresh hell this weather has become.
My thoughts exactly. We had a lovely thaw, only to be following by more ice, snow and cold. Now I'm not only trudging through one layer of snow, but about every third step breaks through the ice layer to the underlying snow.

I gotta get outta here. This snow is the most we've had since 1978. More school closing than my kids have ever seen. It's enough already.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Snagit Capture by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
KAY

Post by KAY »

It was only pretty for a second!! My ticker says it all!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I know what you are saying, Chicagoans. I was stuck in Midway Airport during this yesterday morning. My Delta flight was canceled. I am so sorry to see this once great company become a third world airline. They had a plane. They had a crew. They had passengers. They just couldn't figure out how to put it all together to get us out of there. Yes, the weather was a factor. The flight was canceled because they couldn't get ther steps in the right order in a timely fashion.

I am ready for spring.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

During our thaw on Sunday, the snow melted enough that my neighbor discovered that her two Christmas trees had never been picked up. The snow was piled so deep for over 2 months she had no idea! Now they're covered again.

The snow and ice on the trees that we had this week was pretty... But now that it's getting warmer again small chunks of ice are falling from trees and gutters. They sound like rocks when they land on the car, and always give me a bit of a startle.

We have a bit of a muddle with the high school board now as they're talking about extending the school year to make up for the snow days we've had, and pushing finals back by a week. That would muck up schedules for sports camps, non-school camps (paid for months ago), summer jobs, and family vacations.

%$#@@ winter.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

This thaw is great but the problem with a snow covered yard since October is the slow exposure of our dog's deposits from the last six months. OHMYLORD. I won't get graphic but if I were you, I wouldn't come anywhere near our front entrance area right now.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:This thaw is great but the problem with a snow covered yard since October is the slow exposure of our dog's deposits from the last six months. OHMYLORD. I won't get graphic but if I were you, I wouldn't come anywhere near our front entrance area right now.
that's funny :mrgreen:
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Shoe, it ain't that funny. It's actually really gross. I wish it was all frozen more so I could clean it up easily. Gaaaackkkkk.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Shoe, it ain't that funny. It's actually really gross. I wish it was all frozen more so I could clean it up easily. Gaaaackkkkk.
That’s the reason for having a cat and kitty litter. Or I’ll send you the Fox the roams our yard and gets rid of our unwanted debris i.e. the dead hawk last weekend. Look at all the free fertilizer your yard is getting :wink: