Large and in charge! A trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
DonnaM

Large and in charge! A trip report

Post by DonnaM »

If you felt the Cruz Bay side of the island shake a little last Thursday, it was not an earthquake. It was just our group disembarking from Dohm's water taxi. We brought our 20yo son and 3 college roommates ( all football players ) for 5 days of sun, fun and massive quantities of food and beer. They hung out in Cruz Bay every night and met more people in 5 days than we have in 5 years.
The trip started on an exciting ( stressful ) note when one of the boys went to LGA instead of EWR. He made it to the gate with 15 minutes to spare. Flight was good and they enjoyed the rum shot stand and the "we're here beers" at baggage claim at STT. We used Christopher taxi and Dohm's which worked out well. I would not liked to have had to squeeze in with other people in the public taxis! We picked up a Durango from Varlack and it was quite new and nice. They were very easy to deal with in the booking process. After a quick stop at Starfish for snacks and drinks, we arrived at the house. They hit the pool immediately while we unpacked. We had a great meal at Fatty Crab! We ordered a variety of dishes and shared. They went to Castaways after and took a taxi home.
After just rereading RickG's travel rules, the one that applies to this trip is that the herd moves at the speed of the slowest beast. My husband and I are usually up early and at the beach by 9 then off to lunch around noonish. The boys slept in every day so we rarely left the house until 11. The boys are still supposed to be working out during their break so JJ went for a run up Pebble Way and down Traveler's Trail. Our first beach was Francis Bay because we usually have good luck with seeing turtles there. Not that day but we did have a nice time snorkeling. Fortunately, I was able to find XXL fins online for 2 of the boys and our son has adjusted to not using any. Though, some would say his size 16 feet are adequate flippers on their own! They claimed the snorkeling was a great workout and it was time for lunch. We all had a great meal at Shipwreck Landing. It was really funny watching them all ordering fruity frozen drinks! Then back to the house for pool and nap time. Dinner was at Banana Deck and it was very good. The boys headed out to Mongoose Junction to buy sunglasses for 2 of them and then met us at the Beach Bar. We met Julie and NancieB and hubbies and had a good time chatting with them!
Saturday was Double Header day! We booked a full day fishing charter with them. Eric and Matt were our captains and they were great. We went offshore to try for wahoo, mahi and tuna. It was pretty rough once we got out and the boat started rocking. We caught 2 barracuda and 1 blackfin tuna but not much was biting. We all felt queasy so we headed inshore. Good call! Everyone felt better and we caught a lot of fish. Not a lot of keepers but we weren't intending on cooking much anyway. We did take the tuna and just seared it and drizzled with ponzu sauce a la Aqua Bistro. It was great! Since we came in early, we only paid for a 3/4 day. Dinner was the rest of the Sam and Jack's sandwiches from lunch and they were excellent.
Sunday we hit Cinnamon Bay. The boys brought a football and played catch and 2 on 2 in the water. We snorkeled the Cay and saw lots of smaller fish but nothing unusual. The boys swam over to Little Cinnamon and found the airplane which has somehow eluded my husband on 3 tries. We went to Skinny Legs for lunch which we all enjoyed. More nap/pool time and then we went to Rhumb Lines for dinner. We had Sing's 410 steak, scallops and a fish entree that I can't remember. All good!
Monday, we went to Honeymoon and it was pretty crowded. We found a nice spot under the trees and hit the water. We saw some nice fish but the highlight for me was the Honeycomb Cowfish Post-larval Juvenile. 2" long and so cute! Of course, my husband had the camera so I didn't get a picture. We had a nice afternoon of lounging in the water and the boys sampled gelato from the water sports stand. We hit Mongoose Junction for souvenirs for the girlfriends back home and then had drinks at the Tap Room. Dinner was at Virgin Fire. Everything was good but the service was a little slow.
Tuesday was departure day. :shock: we packed up and went to Deli Grotto for lunch. Dohm's picked us up and we made it to the airport in plenty of time. The boys are already talking about coming back next year!
PA Girl

Re: Large and in charge! A trip report

Post by PA Girl »

What fun! One of my college friends had parents like you and I have very fond memories of their hospitality and how they seemed to truly enjoy their kids and their friends.

Too funny about going to the wrong airport. My 20-something cousins move through life that way too.

Where did you get those fins? My husband wears 15s and he needs new fins but I can't find any that aren't the giant, hardcore scuba diving kind.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

-Went to LGA instead of EWR-

That, right there, just gave me a heart attack!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Fun Fun! I hope the boys had fun. I sometimes wonder if Cruz Bay is a bit tame for that age group.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I came really close to ordering a large drink on the plane after the airport fiasco. I must say the United gate agents were super nice and wrangled one of the cart drivers to take me up to intercept him after he got through security.
RickG, they loved Cruz Bay! Due to their schedule, whether it's games in the fall or lifting and conditioning the rest of the year, they are not wild partiers. They just like to hang out, have fun and have some beers. They had stories every night of who they met including lots of bar and restaurant owners and staff, an engaged couple who invited them to the Trunk Bay wedding the next day etc. Plus, 3 of the 4 have serious girlfriends so it's not like they were looking for action! Though, they ended up at the Westin the last night until 5am with some people from Texas and had to walk home past Chocolate Hole to our house. :roll:
IA Joe

Post by IA Joe »

Nice report! My 20 year old son would absolutely be the one to go to the wrong airport. He is a great kid but sometimes I wonder how he makes it through the week.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

PA Girl wrote:What fun! One of my college friends had parents like you and I have very fond memories of their hospitality and how they seemed to truly enjoy their kids and their friends.

Too funny about going to the wrong airport. My 20-something cousins move through life that way too.

Where did you get those fins? My husband wears 15s and he needs new fins but I can't find any that aren't the giant, hardcore scuba diving kind.
I think I got the fins from the Joe Diver website. Not sure if they were considered scuba fins or not but they were big and heavy! I just bought whatever they had in larger sizes. Huge beggars can't be choosers!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Great report.. Love college FB players, my nephews teammates are some of the greatness young men I've ever met!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

DonnaM wrote:
PA Girl wrote:What fun! One of my college friends had parents like you and I have very fond memories of their hospitality and how they seemed to truly enjoy their kids and their friends.

I think I got the fins from the Joe Diver website. Not sure if they were considered scuba fins or not but they were big and heavy! I just bought whatever they had in larger sizes. Huge beggars can't be choosers!
I ordered a set for my husband this morning. I appreciate the link. I ordered from another site for years and was frustrated I couldn't find fins for him.