Trip to Jost Van dyke or just around STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Trip to Jost Van dyke or just around STJ?

Post by northerngal »

We are debating between a sailing trips around STJ out of coral Bay or a trip over to the BVI. We have never done either and both sound lots of fun?....any suggestions?
stjchica

Re: Trip to Jost Van dyke or just around STJ?

Post by stjchica »

Can't go wrong with either...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We love our boat day and are going for the 7th, maybe 8th time to BVI !! We are boaters so this day is extra special for us with Captain John of Palm Tree Charters! :D
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

My preference would be around St. John. For a Jost trip you will take time both going thru customs on the BVI and St. JOhn on return. Plus you have to pay the customs fee for BVI. If you like hanging out at a beach bar go to Jost. If you want to go to beautiful snorkeling locations do the St John trip. All depends on what you want
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Although I really enjoy the BVIs, for the past couple of trips we have opted for around St. John snorkeling trips. We've snorkeled at great spots you can't get to on your own, like Lovongo Cay, Great and Little St. James, Whistling Cay, etc. I am going to book a boat that can take us into the mangroves for next summer's visit.

Either option makes for a really fun day! You can't go wrong.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

What do you want to do? A lot of snorkeling or spend some time on a beach with some cold beverages? Once you decide, discuss the days itinerary with your captain to see who can provide what you're looking for. You'll enjoy both!
janet
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

There is a lot more to the BVI trips than just booze and beaches!! :roll:
Connie

Post by Connie »

Just for your info, if you take the ferry to Jost it will take you an hour from STJ. Also, the BVI fee coming out of Jost is 15.00 pp.

We went from STT, so it took us 1 1/2 hours and I don't I'd do it again. It's great for people watching though.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

lazylane wrote:There is a lot more to the BVI trips than just booze and beaches!! :roll:
Such as?????????
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Another thing to consider this time of year is the rough ocean swells and rip tides. I would not take a day trip on a boat to White Bay on Jost when there are high surf advisories. It can be difficult and dangerous getting from the sailboat to the beach -- both swimming or in a dinghy. I would not recommend this trip if you are not strong and athletic. On such a day, it would be best to go to the south shore of st. john to snorkel.
Connie

Post by Connie »

We witnessed the high surf, which is unusual. One woman had to be rescued from the very high waves and ripped tide. Another couple in a dinghy bad. One guy got flipped right out of the dinghy and then got thrown back into, hurt, on the next waves. We have never seen that before.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

We always take a day for Jost. If you can include Sandy Spit as part of the trip, the you can't go wrong.
mrl38

Post by mrl38 »

Some of my friends just booked with a new company out of St. Thomas called Sonic Charters, anyone ever heard of them?