OFF lantern if up high in Coral Bay?

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

OFF lantern if up high in Coral Bay?

Post by mindehankins »

Sorry to be bugging with my incessant questions, but it's gathering time and soon to be packing time. Wondering if we need to pack our OFF lantern, up high in Coral Bay? We always have brought it before, but wondering about the need for this trip?
lazylane

Re: OFF lantern if up high in Coral Bay?

Post by lazylane »

We have never had a problem with bugs in Coral Bay, especially higher up with the breezes! I would take or buy West Indies Bug Repellant and/or Itch Relief for other places!!! Although it is 4 oz, so can't take that in my carryon!!! Each year we take less and less, I can now pack in about 5 minutes!!!!!!!!! WE no longer take food like we did before because Starfish has great prices (relatively) and good specials and it's not worth the hassle/luggage fee. Enjoy your trip!!
lprof

Post by lprof »

mindehankins wrote: Wondering if we need to pack our OFF lantern, up high in Coral Bay? We always have brought it before, but wondering about the need for this trip?
Last November we were high on Bordeaux and did have some skeeters in the early evening on the deck and around the pool. If you have room, I would pack it.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Skeeters can happen at any time on any part of the island. Although some places tend to have them more often. I live up high on Bordeaux Mt. We rarely have skeeter problems but will, a week or so after heavy rains. We more often have no see ums biting. My husband and I both prefer to not use chemicals so we just put on a light weight pair of long pants, a shirt, and socks.
LynnieGirl

Post by LynnieGirl »

Hey Minde...The nine days we spent at SMS in July, we only had a "mild" bug problem one night. Every other night the breezes kept them away. As a matter of fact, the breezes were so strong that we barely used the pool because it was too cool! Have fun and say hello to Bonny for me.

I've Got the No Ticker Blues...

Just another day for you, you and me in paradise...

~Tammy
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

Take it....we had bugs the first week in Oct in CB. We did find the "coils" in the condo and we were lucky enough to have ceiling fans on the covered veranda that did a good job. I used bug spray a couple of times during the week....and was glad it was provided. I had also taken the Off wipes. I came home with a couple of bites, but hubby had none.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

On our 2009 trip we stayed at Bayview on Bordeaux. We did not bring our normal Off coils because we were staying at a high elevation. It rained hard the day before we arrived and on arrival day and the next morning. We stayed for 7 days. We had a bug free experience at Bayview until it was the night before departure and was packing night. The mosquitos were finding ways into the screens. Had it been any night prior to packing night we would have needed the off coils outside.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"