Trip Report: August 3 - 16 (Day 4)

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Trip Report: August 3 - 16 (Day 4)

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Day 1: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... izN_Bafcch

Day 2: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... izN-Rafcch

Day 3: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26015

We woke up around 7:15am, amazingly enough, after our fun night!

We packed up, showered, and enjoyed our last breakfast at the hotel since today is check-out day.

Slimmans was to open at 8am, but hey - it's island time. D had to wait a few minutes for the attendant to get there. I chatted with D as he waited off our balcony, which overlooked Slimman's lot. There is a genip tree right off our balcony, too, so I picked some for D to enjoy. (He loves those, too!) Unfortunately, while standing out on the balcony, I was EATEN UP I suppose by mosquitoes. ARRRGGGHHH. Usually, I religiously apply insect repellant. I think I figured they wouldn't be out and about this early, and since I was only out there a little while, I wouldn't need it. WRONG. Lesson learned.

D picked me up in front of the hotel, and off to Starfish we went. We got a box of 4 gallons of water since we weren't sure if St. John Ice was open yet; paper towels, toilet paper, detergent, downy, cereals, bagels, muffins, rotisserie chicken, snacks, milk, butter, oj, cheese, and a few other items.....$212 later....... Oh - a tamarind (I think that's what it was - can't remember) was $10.79!!!!!!! For one!!!! Maybe that's why there weren't any tamarind balls at Deli Grotto!

(SO ANGRY that we bought things like paper towels, tp, detergent, etc. since Apito was FULLY stocked with all that and more!!!)

We met Alex (Apito owner's son) at Apito around 9:10am. This was our second time staying there, so he didn't have to give us the details on everything - just the new goodies - new tv, etc. Apito is FANTASTIC, y'all. FULLY stocked with books, dvd's, board games, kids stuff, you name it. One of the many reasons we love staying here. There's always something to read or watch.

The view from Apito:

Pool view:

About 10:30am, the electricity goes out. This has NEVER happened to us (strange, I know, since it goes out quite often on island), so we decided to go outside and hang by the pool. The electricity stayed off about 4 hours. D swam in the pool, and I read. PERFECT villa gravity day!!!!

We had the rotisserie chicken on hawaiian rolls for lunch and dinner. YUM!!!!!!!!

We were worried about the fridge being off because of the electricity, but all of our stuff was just fine. WHEW.

We watched the sights from the pool deck - donkeys, 18 wheelers (seriously - we saw more of these than we ever had - I could NOT imagine driving an 18 wheeler on STJ roads!!!!), bananaquits, you name it. Watched a really cool shower coming in over the BVI's, and finally to our spot, so we headed inside. SO WINDY!

Seeing the rain hitting the ocean surface was so neat!

And the view AFTER the storm:

We showered and watched "Scandal" (tv show) on dvd. I called mom. We were in bed around 10:30pm.

There is a spotlight outside by the stairs (new - wasn't there the first time we stayed in 2010) that kept coming on, so that kept us up since it would get bright in the bedroom. It's one of those motion spotlight deals. It sort of scared us because we were trying to figure out what was downstairs that made it keep coming on all the time. The next day, we saw that the trees (because of the mega wind up on Mamey Peak) would cause it to come on, so after that, it didn't bother us. We also saw donkeys on Mamey Peak, as well as a "trail" which looked like where donkeys tread right down by our house by the stairs / spotlight, so they could be the culprits for the security spotlight coming on, too.

We also forgot how noisy the night life is up on Mamey Peak - frogs, insects, etc. That took some getting used to as well, but after the first night, we were good.

It POURED RAIN tonight. The cistern is right below the bed, so it was kinda eerie / freaky listening to the water gushing in. Oh - another new thing since our 2010 visit - a cistern measure thingy...a gauge. You'd push a button, and see how full the cistern was. Useful!

Poor D had trouble falling asleep, so he got up and went into the den while I fell asleep.

Glad to be back at Apito. We love this villa, as well as its location on island!
msgcolleen

Re: Trip Report: August 3 - 16 (Day 4)

Post by msgcolleen »

There is no way I could read or watch tv with that stunning view! Can you actually see the road from the house since you saw 18 wheelers? How was the pool temp in August :?:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

$10.79 ?? for one tamarind ? Sounds like a stretch even for STJ prices.

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost ... ostcount=7
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Correction: Nope. Not a tamarind. It was a light orange / coral-colored fruit - the size of a grapefruit. My husband says it was a tangerine....but who knows. I'll see if I got a picture of it. Whatever it was, we didn't buy it.