instructions on visiting Caneel

Travel discussion for St. John
mnfun2bme

instructions on visiting Caneel

Post by mnfun2bme »

Hi Everyone,
I'd really like to visit the Caneel property on the next visit. It's my understanding that as a visitor, we are allowed to only visit the Caneel Beach, is that true? Are we allowed to bring our beach chairs? The cost is $20 for parking, correct? I recall people saying that if they spent $20 at some place in the property, they would get the parking fee returned?

How does this all work? I'd love to try Coconuts favorite snorkel but am hesitant because of the unfamiliarity of actually going to the property.

Please walk me through, in detail, a regular day and visit to the property.

Thank you in advance!
liamsaunt

Re: instructions on visiting Caneel

Post by liamsaunt »

I can offer the most up to date info having just stayed at Caneel then going back later in our trip as a day guest.

Yes, it is $20 to park. When you arrive you tell the gate guard you are going to Honeymoon or Caneel's main beach. You don't pay at that time, you get a voucher. Spend $20 (or more haha) anywhere on property and then go to the front desk when leaving with your receipt and the voucher from the gate guard. They'll give you a blue voucher to hand the gate guard on exit to waive the parking charge.

You can swim from the public beach to some of the private beaches. However the only land access to the property is via Caneel's main beach. So, you can swim from Caneel to Scott. You can get out of of the water on Scott beach and rest in the sand. You are not allowed to go beyond the tree line on the private beaches, so you can't walk back from your snorkel, you have to swim back. There are no dinghy channels on Caneel's private beaches.

You can bring beach chairs but no coolers to the public beach.

Security has greatly increased on Caneel's property recently. There are guards posted in places I have not noticed in prior visits (before our January stay). When we came back as day guests we were met by a guard in the lower lot who directed us to where we said we were going, and followed us a bit to see if that's where we actually went. I am only mentioning this because when staying as a Caneel guest I have seen people being asked to leave when they are in the private areas of the property and that's no fun to deal with. Coconuts did describe a fun snorkel and hike but you should know that Caneel is not allowing access to the Turtle Bay trail to non-guests at this time. Whether that will change I don't know. We hiked it when we were there and I can see general access being a liability issue for Caneel if someone is injured on the trail.

If you have any other Caneel questions I can help with PM me.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Travelling Wilbury

Post by Travelling Wilbury »

There is now a concession stand at Honeymoon Beach where you can rent beach chairs, floaties, kayaks, etc. and any rental charge goes towards the $20 parking fee (you must exceed $20). I also noticed the gentleman at the concession stand would take drink orders and call them in to Caneel where they would in turn ship them to Honeymoon Beach by golf cart (the services was slow). This also counted towards the $20 parking fee. Also, don't forget that you can access Solomon Beach through Honeymoon.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Before our first visit to Caneel via Honeymoon Beach, I found this map helpful.
From http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/caneel ... ay_map.pdf

... no longer a stranger to paradise
suzanna945

Post by suzanna945 »

We were there last week, and I can tell you that visiting Caneel as a day guest was not scary! This was our 7th visit to St. John but only our first visit to the Caneel property. We specifically wanted to visit Honeymoon Beach, but wanted to access it from the Caneel grounds. We didn't bring any chairs but my husband and I each had a backpack with drinks, snacks, towels, etc.

We found everyone working at Caneel VERY friendly and accommodating. We drove in, got our white parking voucher from the nice lady at the gate (who explained the 'blue voucher' deal), then proceeded to the second parking lot as instructed. There we met a very personable security guard who directed us to the path that would take us to Honeymoon Beach and gave us hints on what fish and wildlife to be on the lookout for. He was a chatty fellow and we talked with him for about 5 or 10 minutes. When we told him we would like to have lunch at Caneel after our morning at the beach, he offered suggestions on where to eat on the property (we ended up eating at the Cafe, excellent food and service).

We never felt like we were being watched or monitored in any way, but then again we never ventured too far on the property, just sticking to Honeymoon Beach, the Cafe, and around the grounds near the main building. Everyone we ran into on the property--landscapers, housekeeping, restaurant, desk personnel, security--was very friendly. It was a nice visit that left a good impression.
tochin

Post by tochin »

Based upon liamsaunt's detailed description, does that mean the only "Public" beaches at Caneel are the Main Beach and Honeymoon? All the others are considered private? Thanks.
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

So, no ice chests on Honeymoon Beach?

I have only accessed Honeymoon via Caneel Property/Parking, what is my alternative?
lprof

Post by lprof »

tochin wrote:Based upon liamsaunt's detailed description, does that mean the only "Public" beaches at Caneel are the Main Beach and Honeymoon? All the others are considered private? Thanks.
Private in that they can not be accessed from land, unless a guest at Caneel... enter the beach only from the water and only up to the vegetation line.

mdcoles1 wrote: I have only accessed Honeymoon via Caneel Property/Parking, what is my alternative?
The Lind Point Trail!
http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Lind%20 ... 0Trail.htm
tochin

Post by tochin »

Thanks. So, when you are parking at Caneel and paying $20, that gives you access to what?

I was initially thinking if you pay to park, it gives you access to walk around the resort, use the beaches, eat at the restaurants but it sounds like people are saying parking only gives you access to 2 beaches and maybe restaurants?
lprof

Post by lprof »

tochin wrote: I was initially thinking if you pay to park, it gives you access to walk around the resort, use the beaches, eat at the restaurants but it sounds like people are saying parking only gives you access to 2 beaches and maybe restaurants?
That is pretty accurate, I think!

My experience has been to hike the Lind Point Trail to Honeymoon, then walk through Caneel to the cab pick-up. Other times to arrive by cab, walk to Honeymoon, have lunch at the cafe, go back to Honeymoon and then walk back though the resort to the cab pick-up. I have not taken chairs or coolers, just a backpack.
Most people buy drinks or food to offset the $20 parking fee.

Caneel Bay Resort will be closed August 26-November1, 2013. I do not know if the parking areas will be open. I assume that the bar and restaurants will be closed.
Pia

Post by Pia »

You can take a cooler to Honeymoon but not to Caneel's main beach. Also I have been told from the manager at the "hut" on Honeymoon that any purchase made there do NOT count as $20 being spent on property adn can not be applied to the parking fee and that the $20 must be spent at Caneel (restaurant, bar or gift shop)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
tochin

Post by tochin »

Thanks lprof. Now you brought up a good question for me since we will be on island in October. If Caneel is closed, can you park there to use Honeymoon?
Pia

Post by Pia »

No you can't park in Caneel when they are closed

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

tochin wrote:Thanks. So, when you are parking at Caneel and paying $20, that gives you access to what?

I was initially thinking if you pay to park, it gives you access to walk around the resort, use the beaches, eat at the restaurants but it sounds like people are saying parking only gives you access to 2 beaches and maybe restaurants?
The $20 is for parking, you can access the main beach and/or Honeymoon for free if you walk/cab to Caneel.

Like others mentioned, security has definitely been increased recently and will politely and professionally make sure one doesn't wander away from the main beach/Honeymoon Beach and common area (where the bar and beach restaurants are located.)

The restaurants are open to the public but during the day, it is likely only the Beach Bar/Terrace area will be serving food and drink so one wouldn't be walking to the Estate House or Sugar Mill anyway. Two drinks at the bar will get your $20 parking ticket validated.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Pia wrote:You can take a cooler to Honeymoon but not to Caneel's main beach. Also I have been told from the manager at the "hut" on Honeymoon that any purchase made there do NOT count as $20 being spent on property adn can not be applied to the parking fee and that the $20 must be spent at Caneel (restaurant, bar or gift shop)

Pia
Pia is correct - in early June you couldnt use those Honeymoon services to offset the Caneel charge as that is not a Caneel contractor. Also, for us, it was good enough for the gate guard on duty to just show him the drink receipt from the drink cart. That said, other gate guards could be a stickler for that blue exit voucher from the front desk.

I wonder if the National Park Service is aware of the restricted access to the Turtle Bay Trail, and/or if that violates some kind long ago deal or at least good faith agreement with the original developers/owners of the property?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide