a little construction problem

Travel discussion for St. John
Knolmom

Re: a little construction problem

Post by Knolmom »

We can only hope. After speaking with the former owners of Sago, though, I don't even know if they will ever complete this monstrosity. Seems to be a 10 year design build tear out rebuild redesign game involving 2 neurotic people.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Just a quick update: DPNR finally took action against the property owner - http://bit.ly/1dS42i2
Jenn, News of St. John
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

I’m glad DPNR has finally taken action but this project should have been monitored closely from the get go, the damage is already done. The fines that have been levied are pennies to the owner.. :?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

We last stayed at Sago Palms in November 2011. Just looking this thing tower over the pool was heartbreaking. These owners obviously don't care about what they are doing. And the damage is done.
Pia

Post by Pia »

They should shut him down - $10,000 is nothing.

Someone should run an article in the New York Times (or other) that a "prominent New York designer to the stars" is defacing the tropical island of St John and trespassing and destroying National Park land (our public land) - see if that gets his attention !!!!

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
mizarumonkey

Post by mizarumonkey »

Pia,

Agree 10,000x!! Anyone know any writers who'd take on this task??
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Google the guy. He's been written up in many publications from Gawker to Architectural Digest. Quite the socialite apparently. I wonder if his celebrity clients would be knocking down his door with their business if they know what he is doing to a beloved national park, not to mention his neighbors.

I'd venture a letter to Gawker or Hamptons Magazine would get tongues a waggin.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We saw this clearcutting from the water on our daysail and it is uglier than ever. The gash in the hillside looks awful. I thought this house was ugly from the first time I saw it, which was years ago. It's been getting bigger and uglier every year.

I remember how we all railed about Presidio del Mar when it was being built...ironic that of all the homes in Peter Bay that is the one that blends into the hillside best now. That's not going to happen with this thing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
atomant

Post by atomant »

I agree with Pia too. I wish the property could be seized. What will prevent this from happening again? It's outrageous!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

What about the builder/construction crew? Will they face fines for actually being the ones who dug into the National Park land? Surely they know how to read blue prints.
Tickerless :(
golfdesign

Post by golfdesign »

As stated in the earlier post the only real consequence may be the exposure of this story. If this got media attention in the states and their past, present, and possible future clients were aware of this it would have an effect. Their work here speaks for itself and the photo posted would be a total embarrassment to even a bad designer. Their design work clearly shows a lack of knowledge, experience, and understanding of basic concepts relative to environmentally sensitive and unique sites. The illegal destruction of public National Park lands and total disrespect and appreciation of STJ is also a testament to their depth and knowledge. These guys were not qualified to be intrusted with such a special spot.

I know the posts here and the messages to the park superintendent have brought more attention to this and I hope it reaches the mainland. Not because it will undo anything but because these actions deserve consequences. The comment about this happening again should also be a real concern.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

They probably spend $10,000 on dinner at night ! A few hundred thousand might make him blink a little.
" I believe there's Magic here...."
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Jumper wrote:
atomant wrote:We too saw this site when on a trip with Capt John Brandi in Feb. This is outrageous! What fines can be levied against the builder? Can his permits and license be revoked? Further question is how was this allowed to happen right in front of everyone's eyes? Disgusting!
Somebody`s pocket is being filled to look the other way. It`s a shame this is happening.

I completely agree. Someone is getting their pockets lined to be looking the other way. How could it have gotten this far without MAJOR recourse?
Here FISHY FISHY...... who are you?
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Maybe your boy at the DPNR was into more than dealing cocaine!
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

Just saw the info on this on the News of St John web site. I think the penalty should be to restore the land to as close to the original condition as possible and a substantial fine. Maybe a million for every tree displaced. The $10K is chump change to someone with that much money.

http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/07/23/dpnr ... /#comments