JFK airport to STT

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

JFK airport to STT

Post by Hawaii »

Hi all - We will be flying out of JFK in late July. We have an 8:00 am flight for our family of four. In the past we have stayed the night before and am thinking of doing the same again. We will leave on a Friday and return in 10 days. Can anyone give me any suggestions on hotels and should I do park and fly or park somewhere near JFK? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
rImage
mbw1024

Re: JFK airport to STT

Post by mbw1024 »

We stayed at the Sheraton at JFK and parked there. Our car was there more than 7 days so I think the price was $15/per day.
The Parking Spot is about a block from there and in the future I would park there because their shuttle comes directly to the terminal.
The Sheraton Shuttle only comes as far as Federal Circle (I think I have that name right) which you have to get to my train.

On our last trip I took the train to the Sheraton Shuttle and got the car and drove back to the terminal to get my husband and luggage.
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Thank you for asking this. I have been wondering the same thing about where to stay..
We are also flying out of JFK to STT in July,and live in Pa. It was just way too expensive to fly out of any airport near us. We always look for nonstops too, which we cant get from our local airport. So even with the drive, it seemed like the best thing to do.
Off to check out the Sheraton and other JFK hotels on TripAdvisor.... Good luck with your trip.
BetsyV

mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I believe there was a Hampton Inn also within the same block. Area was fine. Not a lot of dining options so we actual had dinner in route to the hotel, on Staten Island.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Hey Hawaii! We are arriving the same day but flying out of ABE, 1 stop each way. I never even checked JFK because I figured the drive ( 3 hours at least ) wasn't worth it for us. Please let me know if you think it is worthwhile. We usually fly out of PHL or EWR.
We are only staying 4 nights this time due to our son's school schedule. If you see a family of 5 with a giant black haired 19 year old, say hi! ( I am almost 6' tall so sort of a giant too! ).
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Donna - The price difference and the non-stop flight was a big factor. Even if we stay over night it was still about $70.00 per ticket cheaper or something like that. Two years ago we did fly out of EWR but they had a direct flight. EWR did not have direct flights :( From our area it is 2 hours and 15 minutes and I did mapquest looks like 2 1/2 for your area. We are staying over on STT for one night before heading over to STJ. We have two kids 15 year old son, who will turn 16 July 10th - yikes and a 12 year old daughter. Our son is a big boy too (around 5'10") What area are you staying? Have a great trip and will do a trip report including how it was out of JFK when we return.
rImage
GoldenDaze

Post by GoldenDaze »

We have stayed the night before at the Days Inn. They have a park & fly package with The Parking Spot. We have done the package and also The Parking Spot on its own. If you use the Parking Spot as not part of the package they have online coupons & a AAA discount. The package uses the Days Inn shuttle to the terminal which does not run as often as TPS so we sometimes just use TPS w/a coupon even when staying at the Days Inn so we have a little more flexibility on the shuttle.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I just looked up flights for our dates and there are NS flights but the current price is only $20 less. I just booked our flights 6 weeks ago so there probably wasn't a huge price difference even then. Even with a stop each way, the total travel time is shorter than us driving to JFK and we don't mind being able to get off the plane and stretch our legs ( our 19 year old is 6'7" so he is not very comfortable in coach!). ABE is only 35 minutes from us and parking is so quick and easy.
We are staying off the South Shore Rd. just past Chocolate Hole. I hope your family has a great vacation!
jmq

Post by jmq »

For parking only at JFK, we used these guys last week.

http://www.parkplusairportparking.com/

It was only $10/day (excl taxes) which is very cheap for JFK. Easy access coming from the west, very quick, efficient and friendly, nice Mercedes vans easy to climb in and out of, quick pick up. Need to leave a $10 deposit with them to hold a reservation. Would use them again in a heartbeat.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
cgiese

Post by cgiese »

I live on Long Island and take that flight frequently. The hotels in the area of the airport are in not so nice areas. I would suggest driving about 15 min past the airport to Lynbrook. Look into Holiday Inn Express, Lynbrook. getting back to the airport early the day of the flight will literally take 15 min at that hour of the day. Better area, more dining options (let me know if suggestions are needed - I live one town away). Hotel is on the same stretch of highway that the airport is on. Airport is off the belt parkway, belt parkway turns into Sunrise Highway, hotel is on Sunrise. Good luck. Chris
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

cgiese wrote:I live on Long Island and take that flight frequently. The hotels in the area of the airport are in not so nice areas. I would suggest driving about 15 min past the airport to Lynbrook. Look into Holiday Inn Express, Lynbrook. getting back to the airport early the day of the flight will literally take 15 min at that hour of the day. Better area, more dining options (let me know if suggestions are needed - I live one town away). Hotel is on the same stretch of highway that the airport is on. Airport is off the belt parkway, belt parkway turns into Sunrise Highway, hotel is on Sunrise. Good luck. Chris
As a fellow NYer, I will co-sign this advice.

I use the The Parking Spot somewhat often as well...never had a real problem. Just make sure that you leave sufficient time to park there (at 5:30 in the morning, they aren't always so efficient), wait for the shuttle (while the attendants are checking you in, you will undoubtedly watch a shuttle leave without you) and be dropped off by the shuttle. As there are 8 terminals at JFK, that last step can take you 10 minutes or more.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks everyone - I am going to make a decision tonight on what hotel. Since we are staying for 10 days will have to pay for a couple days of parking for Park and Fly. May look into the Marriott if the rates are good but really just want a clean hotel to sleep for the night and safe too!!
rImage