Chateau La Tete Rouge or Cocotier

Travel discussion for St. John
iowaguy

Chateau La Tete Rouge or Cocotier

Post by iowaguy »

Hi all---Planning to return to St. John again next February with our family. We are down to deciding between Cocotier and Chateau La Tete Rouge. Cocotier is newer, full A/C, sunset views---seems like a safe choice. However, my three daughters love the look of Chateau La Tete Rouge with the big pool area (they love the sun) and the cool open-air living room and veranda---more old-style Caribbean. Has anyone stayed, or walked through, Chateau La Tete Rouge and did you like it? How is pool area at Cocotier? Thanks much.
---Jim
kklay

Re: Chateau La Tete Rouge or Cocotier

Post by kklay »

Hello Iowaguy!

Our group of friends (3 couples - all adults) stayed at Chateau La Tete Rouge last November (we arrived on Thanksgiving Day). The villa is absolutely beautiful! I truly love the Rendezvous Bay/Klein Bay area in part because of the fantastic views. We've had 15+ trips to St. John and this is one of my favorite villas. The pool/deck area is wonderful. There is a balcony area that is covered for those who want to watch how much sun they get. We also used the hot tub. There were pool toys, beach chairs, coolers, etc. The villa is very well stocked and the bedrooms have AC for night-time sleeping plus there are TV's in each bedroom in case someone wants to get away for a while.

We look forward to staying at this villa again in the future. I'd go with your daughter's choice this time - the open air area is very nice and very well furnished. Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have on this villa. 8)
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks, kklay, for your nice reply. I love the Klein Bay area too----because the hills are so steep, it seems like a closer water view than you have in Virgin Grande Estates. Looks like a beautiful house. My only slight hesitation was the open-air living room and whether mosquitos or birds flying through were a problem---sounds like it wasn't an issue for you. We did have an open-air room at another house quite a few years ago and liked it.
---Jim
sherban

Post by sherban »

Is going with anything besides what the women pick really an option?

Think it through...resistance is futile...
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks Sherban.... a wise piece of advice .
---Jim
kklay

Post by kklay »

I just remembered - we also had a cat visit us during our stay at Chateau Le Tete Rouge! Very friendly.

Also - there was a nice pantry area with citronella (sp?) candles that we used in the evening - don't think we really needed them, but occassionally at sundown you'll find a few mosquitos, depending on how much rain the island has received in the prior weeks. We also found several spices, etc. as well as some left over "spirits" which we added to.

The pool deck area also has a bathroom and a shower - very convenient if you have a "villa day".
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks for the advice. They both look like great houses but we went with Chateau La Tete Rouge. Among other things, I like saying that name:)

Very excited----we took a couple of years off from St. John to try other places, but as Dorothy said, theres no place like home.
---Jim