Inexpensive villa list?

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Inexpensive villa list?

Post by Xislandgirl »

I thought that someone here had a list going, but maybe I dreamt it!

Friends are looking for a 2 bedroom/2 bath with pool (small is OK) Cruz Bay side, under $2500, off season

I know there are a bunch out there, any one have any suggestions?
Pulley

Re: Inexpensive villa list?

Post by Pulley »

This would be my pick - just past the Westin: http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/ ... ailability
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Dreamshark has the spreadsheet. She mostly concentrates on the Coral Bay side but I'm pretty sure there's a page of inexpensive options. Maybe PM her?
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

You can go to the Caribbean Villas website and plug in price and location. The locations are specific-i.e. great Cruz Bay Harbor- so it might take a while. I'm not sure if the other management companies have the same setup.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We stayed here in February -

http://www.caneeltrailside.com/rates.html

It is a smidge above their budget. It was a lovely house with nice quality finishes and king beds.

Our friends stayed at Island Time during the same week -

http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/island-time/

Again, a bit above budget but if they are the type to ask for a discount, you never know. The pool deck and view at Island Time was fantastic.
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

We actually stayed at Angelica a few years agao & I think it was a great little place.
There is no view, but it was so close to town & to head out to the beaches.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Another nice one is Caribe Soleil, it is just past the Gallows.
You have a shared pool, but when we rented it, there was never anyone else in the pool. It is a little older, but still a lovely villa, you do have a bit of a view.

The Shopper
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

BDKane created a spreadsheet of about 40 villas that range in price and are located throughout the island. I uploaded it to Google Docs. Anyone can update it or add to it.

You can access it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

If you choose to update it, please add the villa in alphabetical order.
Jenn, News of St. John
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/ ... e-rainbow/

We stayed here in October. Awesome, and underbudget!
SeaHorse02

Post by SeaHorse02 »

Look at Hawksbill, also through Caribbean Villas.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

I do have a list of inexpensive villas all over the island, but I consider $2500 in low season to be mid-range. (You want CHEAP, look at Coqui Cottage). $2500 won't get you ultra-luxury, but you should have plenty of well-appointed villas to choose from.

In that price range you'll still be making tradeoffs, and only you can decide what your priorities are. I have tried with an open mind to look at Cruz Bay and southside villas in the moderate price range, but I always go for altitude over proximity to Cruz Bay. So if I had $2500 to spend on a 2-bedroom with a pool... first I'd try to talk my fellow travelers into a hot tub instead of a pool and go right for Monkey No Climb. I love the view, the privacy, the single-level design with equal bedrooms, and the cheery yellow exterior walls. SOMEDAY I'm going to find a way to stay there! http://www.monkeynoclimb.com/

If my fellow travelers just HAD to have a pool I'd head for La Bella Villa, Orchid Knoll, One Particular Harbor, or Coconut Hill. Or Casa Yaya if we were feeling adventurous. But those are all on the Coral Bay side.

If the mountain views didn't win you over and you still want to be closer to Cruz Bay, take a look at Jasmine (well below your budget cap and frequently on sale) or Coconuts (just a smidge over your budget, but beautiful). If you'd like to be walking distance from town, look at Aqua Bay Villas. There are also some very lovely newer places over by Fish Bay (but I'm not convinced Fish Bay is any closer to town than Upper Carolina).
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Check out Kia Ora even though it's 3 bedrooms. The outdoor areas are fantastic. When I was there the inside was pretty dated but someone here thought that the owners had just done some updating so that may have changed. Convenient location and spectacular sunset views. Can't go wrong.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I know that they do not want to be any further than Gift Hill and a pool is mandatory. I have seen a few that might work but want to give a few options.

I was looking at Kia Ora but it does look dated, guess I will just keep searching. It's still fun, even when it's not for me!
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

If they're okay with a shared pool, Cruz Bay has several small villa/condo complexes with attractive villa/condo units at very reasonable prices. It looks like Sea Breeze in Battery Hill may have its own private pool, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Bliss (Cruz Views "penthouse" unit)
Larimar and Soleil (Villa Caribe)
Stowaway Villa (Villas on the Upper Deck)
Battery Hill Villas
P-600

Post by P-600 »

The company I used to work for managed Heavenly Villa. The views are fantastic. The pool is shared and you have to walk down a path to get there. I think this is a really good value and it is very clean. You take a left at the top of Jacob's Ladder and first right to the Upper Deck.
http://www.vrbo.com/362820

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Don't count out Kia Ora for the inside - the outside more than makes up for it even if it hasn't been updated. The kitchen LOOKS dated but it functioned just fine when I was there. The pool area is great and the outdoor eating area had brand new cushions made just over a year ago. That's where you spend a majority of the time any way.