Work Exchange Program

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

Work Exchange Program

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Good evening friends... I'd love any information any one has on the work exchange program at Concordia. My 19 year old college student daughter wanted to apply, and we were like "sure...go for it...this is the time in your life you can do things like this..." long story short... she's accepted and will be working there this summer. She's beyond excited, and I am so excited for her (I wish I knew at that age what I know now) I'm just a little nervous, and wondering if anyone has done this. I've read everything on their website, but I'd love any more information I can find. Of course I've got to find a way to go visit her while she's there :wink: Thanks in advance!!! :D
Image[/url]
loria

Re: Work Exchange Program

Post by loria »

haven;t done it-- but have stayed at maho and concordia frequently and have spoken to may of the persons who work there-- and the overwhelming majority LOVE it!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks Loria, that helps!!! I can't imagine not absolutely loving it, but I want to make sure she's ready. I should have applied to go with her :D :D
Image[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

My buddy Ralph did the program at Maho, run by the same folks. He was the 57 year old retiree among the youngsters. We spent a week on island when he was there in the program and met the work exchange crew.

Here's the TR from then, with a poem about the experience from Ralph.

http://www.garvin.us/STJ/Trip_Reports/2 ... of_10.html

Ralph says he worked very hard and lodging in exchange wasn't the best deal in the world, for him. It's probably different for a youngster. The hardest work was maintenance. Ralph snagged water testing and other tasks that didn't have him in the sun scraping paint for six hours a day. Sounds like a good approach.

Ralph is a character and has been doing volunteer work in Africa and South America since then. Teaching the locals to make fruit leather and rough wine is his idea of fun.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Congrats to your daughter! I have been trying to get into that program for the past couple summers. I am off from my job all summer so it would be a great opportunity. I'm sure she will love it and do fine~
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks Rick for the link to the trip report and poem...always love reading the TRs! I'm not sure if I'll share the Ralph's poem with her or not:) Hopefully she'll enjoy it. She knows it will be hard work, but feels it will be worth it to spend the time in paradise. She plans to get a part-time paying job on top of the work at Concordia. We'll see....

Stjchica, did you apply this summer? It would be crazy if you ended up there at the same time! Good luck to you!
Image[/url]
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

I've done it twice. Check your PM and I can answer any questions you may have.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks Chicken! I read your pm. I'm getting ready to run out the door, but I'll definitely email you later! :D
Image[/url]
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Wonder if they take old fogies in their 50's? :lol:
[/url]
kkd1618

Post by kkd1618 »

Hi! I am also 19 and going to be working at Concordia Work Exchange program this summer in June so I will be with your daughter! I have been doing endless research as I am greatly anticipating this experience!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

KKD - you found the right place to research St. John! The people on this forum know everything there is to know about St. John, and love to talk about it :)
Welcome!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Welcome KKD!
I am so glad that you posted here! My daughter got there yesterday. She is loving it so far and has met some great people! Have you done this before? She's been able to keep in touch, send pics and videos, so mom is happy too :wink:
Image[/url]
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Now that I reread your post, I assume you are new at this too! :D Feel free to pm any questions...I'll try to answer. Most of all, soak it all in and enjoy the experience!!
Image[/url]
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

KKD, I got your message and tried to reply, but I don't think it's going out. I'll try again in a bit.
Image[/url]
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Thats awesome. I'd love some information on the program. Is there a link I can go to? Thanks