South Shore Villa - information

Travel discussion for St. John
kklay

South Shore Villa - information

Post by kklay »

Hello,

I am narrowing down our villa choices for an upcoming fall trip and South Shore Villa is on the "SHORT" list. The villa looks amazing as do the views. My question is, what is the drive like - timewise, etc. from the Cruz Bay area? This villa is probably the farthest out as far as villas that we've stayed in over the past 12 years. Last fall we stayed in Chateau Le Tete Rouge and the drive was fine. I've read the two reviews on this website however they don't really address the drive. Our group typically likes to go out to eat a few nights and also walk around town.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Caw954s

Re: South Shore Villa - information

Post by Caw954s »

Hello kklay, that villa is beautiful and it looks like its just below sol inclination where we stayed in January 2013. We loved being up on sky top, the view was amazing, we watched the sunrise and sunset everyday. It's very quiet and peaceful up there too with a nice breeze and sun on the pool all day. That said, you're asking about the drive. Our family liked getting up early, going to the beaches early, eating dinner early, and being back at the villa for the sunset (~ 6:00pm in January). One night we didn't make it back before dark and it was raining and it was really hard to find our roads back up to sky top! So, if you want to be out later at night in Cruz bay ( a solid 15 minutes from sol inclination into town) and you like to have a few drinks..you may find it more difficult being out that way. Plus, when we were done at the beaches we didn't want to drive back to the villa to shower and change and then go back into town for dinner. So we would go from beach to dinner and that limited us to more casual restaurants (beach bar!). We ate at rhumb lines one night and I changed from my bathing suit into regular clothes in their bathroom. But, we were ok with doing that...we just loved being up there on top of the world! South shore villa looks beautiful!!
Good luck!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

It is not a drive I would want to do repeatedly in the dark, especially after a drink, and most especially in the rain. I know the views are spectacular, but for me the roads and time are not worth it.
Tickerless :(
kklay

Post by kklay »

Thank you so much for your replies - you've been very helpful!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I have researched that villa as well. Looks really nice..Will def stay there sometime, but definitely when being in town at night, etc isn't a priority. Not a big deal to me really..Would be great to be home and cozy and watching the sunset with a drink in hand..and that view..ahh
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
patr

Post by patr »

South Shore villa has a killer view! Fantastic breezes and an awesome infinity edge pool. DO NOT let the drive scare you! It seems hairy the first time or two, but like most villa drives, is no big deal by mid- week. It is only 15 minutes from Cruz Bay. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

If you really don't want to add the travel time after beaching it all day, just end your beach time at Trunk, where you can shower & change, then head straight to happy hour. :D
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We stayed at Sol Inclination, and the views were beyond stunning, but the drive did get old. You're not close to either town or any of the beaches, so it's a good drive when you want to go anywhere. We got to the point where we'd clean up at the beach the best we could and go to dinner without showering first because of all the added drive time.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

We stayed at South Shore Villa in December and didn't find the drive to be a big deal at all. In fact, we found it to be very convenient to town and loved the area. The road is paved all the way from town to the villa. I don't know, call me crazy, but 15 min from town seems like such a short drive to us when compared to Coral Bay, etc.

You can avoid driving through town by using the Gift Hill Road to get the the beaches. We chose to go through town anyway and stock up at Deli Grotto on the way to the north shore most days.

The views from South Shore Villa are amazing.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen