Who is your favorite jeep rental company?

Travel discussion for St. John
Mar

Who is your favorite jeep rental company?

Post by Mar »

Thanks for any feedback!! :)
casalafamiglia

Re: Who is your favorite jeep rental company?

Post by casalafamiglia »

Anyone local. I like Denzel-Cline (sp?) and St. John. Those two I have repeatedly used. We have tried others but they were either too far from the town center, or didn't have our reserved jeep even after they sent me a confirmation email. Hope that help.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Amalie on St Thomas
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
awardb

Post by awardb »

We have used, with good results, St. John Car Rental, Courtesy Car Rental, and L&L Jeep Rental.

St. John has the most convenient evening parking, right across the street from Fish Trap, downtown. Courtesy Car is just up past the circle. L&L does not have a downtown office or parking, however, they meet you at the dock at arrival and departure. My only complaint with St. John is that they close at 5PM. No matter how we arrange flights, we arrive in STT at approx. 3:30 PM. That means we have to take the 5PM RH ferry, so they're always closed when we arrive. So it's been a few years since we've used them. Courtesy is open until 6PM. L&L last year was very flexible upon our late arrival, and with multiple phone calls had someone there to meet us at the dock with all paperwork well after 6PM. Plus, for us, they seem to be the *only* car rental that gives a low-season discount - 10% off in August and September, which is when we visit STJ.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
byado18

Post by byado18 »

We stay at the Westin and use O 'Connor's. we 've always had good service and had no problems with the cars!
Heather

Post by Heather »

Amalie in St. Thomas. The cars are clean and new, Magdalena is wonderful, they meet you at the airport and you're off in minutes. Then they meet you at the airport when you return and you're on you're way. You do need to feel comfortable taking the car barge and remember that you're on your own if something happens to the car on St. John. However, Magdalena includes a list in the car of who to call and what to do if you run into difficulty.
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

Our first year we used Courtesy and I would not use them again. They were very nice and courteous but when it came time to turn our vehicle back in they tried to say that it had extra dents and scratches on it that it did not. It all came out good in the end but it left a bad taste in my mouth for the next trip. Our next trip we went with Conrad Sutton. They come across a little gruff at first but once you get to talking to them you find they are very genuine people. We have rented the last 2 times off of them and will continue to rent off of them every time we come.
My Heart is in St. John!
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

I am glad to see this feedback for my upcoming trip, too!
We won't arrive STT til 3:30 (so L&L meeting us at dock sounds great). What is the method for returning the car?
Dock area again? THanks!
awardb

Post by awardb »

L&L meets you at the dock both times, arrival and return. I was skeptical, but it worked like a charm.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

Count us as fans of Conrad Sutton. Very genuine locals that we have found to be pleasant and fair with a great location in town with parking. To be fair, we've never used anyone else but we have used them on three consecutive trips and our fourth reserved for June. Some people love the Suttons, while others have had bad experiences. Every business has its good and bad aspects IMO. If interested in using them shoot me a PM and I will give you some additional pointers on their parking etc.
KT
sabalpom

Post by sabalpom »

I rented with Varlack last year & will do so again this year, having already made my reservation. Very nice, professional & courteous! :D
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I have used St John Car Rental once and Courtesy twice. Both were fine and Courtesy is open 1 hour later and meets you at the dock (even if you are get in past their official closing time) so I have stayed with them and will be using them on our next trip.

We like staying in Coral Bay so we want to get our car regardless of when our flight arrives (don't want to spend my first morning taking a bus to Cruz Bay) which is why I like the fact that they have waited for us when our flight was delayed.

We have parked in Courtesy's lot with no problems. They have been very easy to work with.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We have used Courtesy, Denzil Clyne (sp?) and the last 3 years we have used Paris Car Rental. Janice is the most wonderful person to work with!!! This last trip my hubby inadvertently locked the keys in the car, while it was RUNNING!!!! We called Janice and she said, oh, no problem Ron, where are you? Ron: Skinny's......Janice: SKINNY'S ??????? Okay, I'll be right there.....and she was!! Bless her! We have never had a problem and she meets us at the national park dock and we return it to their place.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We have used Amalie on STT, and Conrad Sutton and Courtesy on STJ. We prefer renting on STT through Amalie, but if renting on STJ would rent from Courtesy.
drd434

Post by drd434 »

Any positive or negative experiences with C&C Car Rental.

They are the cheapest that found for a jeep, $450 for the week and a 10% discount if I book now...bringing it down to $405.

Did a search in the forum....and haven't found much.

Thanks,

~DRD