Rachael vs. "regular" cab:

Travel discussion for St. John
toes in the sand

Re: Rachael vs. "regular" cab:

Post by toes in the sand »

regular taxi folks here, never tried a private ride. don't see or feel the need to.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Xislandgirl wrote:
PA Girl wrote:I have not heard about any villa rental company promoting a private taxi before.
My friends were recently told the same thing
Interesting. I think our friends are renting through Caribbean Villas.
zhawkz

Post by zhawkz »

Hmmm. Now that I check my flight, it arrives at 2:30. We won't have checked bags so no wait at airport. Still, even with Rachael and a direct ride to Red Hook would we make the 3pm ferry anyway? If not a regular cab would work.

Alternative is to get to Red Hook that much faster via Rachael and have an adult beverage or two while waiting for the 4pm ferry. Decisions decisions...
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

With a 2:30 flight, I would doubt that you will make the 3:00
toni

Post by toni »

Wouldn't think you can make a 3pm even with just carry on. You still have to get off the plane, through the airport, traffic, construction, etc....
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Used Rachel for the first time this trip two of us the charge was 50.00 I gave her 10.00 as a tip. She was great other then she was trying to get me and my girlfriend married off till I asked her if she needed help finding a husband. LOL I don't know if I'll go back to the public taxi. On the way back she held our luggage for 4 hours so we could wander around the Shops and get something to eat same price.
Tom
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

If you are sitting at the front of the plane, the taxi is waiting, you hit no traffic or lights or random person stopped in the road chatting at all, I still think it will be very close and I would be disappointed if that was my goal.

My rule of thumb is, up to 20 after the hour, you have a good shot. After 20 after the hour, plan on the next one and be pleasantly surprised (and running from the taxi to get a ticket and get on board) if you make the earlier.
zhawkz

Post by zhawkz »

Thanks Xislandgirl. I think you have it right. If we miss the 3pm ferry (and we will), we "have" to hang at the Fish Trap or the terminal and sip a beverage. Man that is rough! Beats working X1000.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

I apologize about my previous post. My wife reminded me that it was $60 (pre-tip) for the Rachael taxi to Red Hook. It was when we challenged the rate that Rachael showed us a chart that allowed her to charge up to $90. Again, sorry for the mistake... :oops:

All that said, I will still opt for the regular taxi on our next trip.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

We scheduled Rachel's services for our last visit to SJ. She definitely has a fan base on the forum and we were looking forward to meeting her and to a stress-free, uncrowded ride. Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to meet her as another driver was sent to cover for her. The service that was provided was disappointing. We had to search the parking lot (with our luggage) to find the driver as he was not in the designated pick up spot and he did not seem too concerned about making contact with us . We ended up missing the scheduled ferry when the driver drove us to another pick up point where we had to wait for more people to arrive and get in the car with us. :(
I am not sure that Rachel's service was worth the money. Maybe it was an off day for her?
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

We are huge Rachel fans. Such a super nice Lady. It cost $30 public taxi for 2 or $50 for private direct to RH. We always have a connecting flight, so we call her on our layover and let her know if everything is going good with flight times. She is always waiting for us with a sign when we step out of airport. We highly recommend her.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Anyone flying in on this Saturday who wants to share a private taxi to RH? I arrive on AA flight - supposed to arrive on STT at 4:05. I'd love to find a couple who could make a private taxi worth it. I'd love to make the 5pm ferry!! (checking a bag this year - I'm in charge of most of the food this year - have to check one this year).
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Hiring Rachel or any of your favorite taxis is great for the personalized service, however you can always hire a private taxi for $90 for up to four people.
From the rate sheet:
Any person requesting a taxi exclusively for themselves are as follows:
Airport to Red Hook: $90 for 1-4 passengers, (5 or more passengers add $15 for each additional person).
Within Town Limits: $55 for 1-4 passengers, (5 or more passengers add $7 for each additional person).
RL 8)
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

In our 11 trips we have always used Christopher's Taxi and have always been the only ones in the van and no stops!! We also use the private water taxi!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

lazylane wrote:In our 11 trips we have always used Christopher's Taxi and have always been the only ones in the van and no stops!! We also use the private water taxi!
We are Christopher/Dohm's people too.