Snorkel gear "missing" from Francis Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

stjohnnewbie wrote:I bought the Kyss Bag before our trip last year. It has a chain on it that locks the bag and you secure it to an object like you would a bike. Can't explain it very well, but here is the website. Loved the peace of mind it gave us.

http://www.kyssbags.com/
Loos like a good idea. But it'd be easy to make your own. Simply get a small chain & lock and attach it to a bag you already own.
Bryan
Pat

Thanks stjohnnewbie...

Post by Pat »

Thanks stjohnnewbie!! I ordered a Kyss bag yesterday after I read your post. No more floating in the water facing my beach bag... No need to have hubby babysit our stuff while I snorkle. He can join me!!
:D :D :D :D :D
inuny

Post by inuny »

I just bought one too. Of course, a thief can cut through the bag easily (so the mesh lock that a previous poster mentioned would work better). But it will deter the opportunity snatchers.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I bought a pacsafe camera bag last summer. A plus was that the strap and bag itself had wire mesh so it can't be cut through. Minus was that it was kind of bulky. When I went to the pacsafe site today I noticed that they sell wire mesh covers for your existing backpack or camera bag that come with a lock etc. Here's a link:

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_r ... tail&id=11

There's different sizes and mesh widths available. This could be an interesting option if you are concerned about leaving your stuff on the beach.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
54b

Post by 54b »

Dig on the pacsafe, Liamsaunt...I went with the smaller version, but it's big enough for our cash, c-cards, keys, passports, camera and phones.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_r ... tail&id=18

We'll be trying it out on our trip here in a month. I know nothing is full proof, but we will feel better leaving our valuables in this this thing snug to the base of a big tree while we're out in the water.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Love both of those options. We are definitely getting one or the other of these. Thanks for the recommendations!
Pat

My kyss bag arrived today!

Post by Pat »

I'm pleased with the purchase. The chain is quite substantial and the bag is sturdy. Will work just fine.... :lol:
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

liamsaunt, those are perfect. I always take a backpack to the beach, hiking, ect so I might get one before our next trip. It'd be nice to be in the water w/o worrying about our stuff.
Bryan
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

We bought the PacSafe for our backpack and love it! It really gives you peace of mind when you are out snorkeling. We never carry anything valuable but it would prevent the grab & go on the beach. We bought ours on Amazon but REI also carries them.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

First off, mean people suck balls. That's awful.

Second, while we have NEVER had anything taken over our many trips over the years, it doesn't mean that we aren't as diligent about our valuables and "stuff" on vacay as we are at home.

Hubby in vested in a pacsafe years ago and whenever we have to leave stuff in the Jeep or somewhat unattended we use it.

We also don't carry around alot of cash and I keep that what little cash and few credit cards/ID's in a mini pelican case on a string on my wrist while snorkeling.

I guess my theory is to make it as challenging as possible for people to Fu#$ with my stuff. Why make it easy for them?

Again, I have to say that I have never felt unsafe or had a reason to believe that anyone would take my stuff while on island, but then again becuase we always take reasonable precautions may be the reason we never have had to worry about that kind of stuff.

Again, so sorry this happened to you!

Just remember: Karma is a BITCH.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
BRY1105

Re: Snorkel gear "missing" from Francis Bay

Post by BRY1105 »

For anyone who has the Pacsafe 55L, have you ever had any issues with it in your carry-on? I just wonder because it's a lot of metal and looks like it could be used in a harmful way.
Bryan
sapphirecat

Re: Snorkel gear "missing" from Francis Bay

Post by sapphirecat »

Some creep actually stole my towel last year off the beach recliner. A stinkin' towel!

I decided I was only going to take the rattiest ones to the beach after that.

It sucks when you realize that you can't even wear your hat and sunglasses down and park them while you snorkel.