Leinster snorkel??

Travel discussion for St. John
Backtotheislands

Leinster snorkel??

Post by Backtotheislands »

I absolutely LOVE Waterlemon and have seen many of you also talk about snorkeling at Leinster. Liamsaunt referred to the Leinster drift. Where do you go in to snorkel Leinster? Do you hike up to the beach and go the opposite direction from the cay? Please explain! I am leaving on a jet plane in the morning and don't know when I'll be back again!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

The entire bay is good.

We usually watch for Turtles breaking the surface before we enter and head in their direction first.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

To access what I referred to as the Leinster drift snorkel, walk out on the trail to Waterlemon about halfway to the sandy beach. You will come to a rocky beach with three mooring balls off of it. Go all the way to the right of the rocky beach as you are looking at the water and enter whereever you see a spot that is free of coral and urchins. It is a little rocky here so I wear water shoes to get in, and then tie them to my board shorts for the snorkel.

Once you are in the water, there is a current that runs to the left as you are looking at the water. You can simply let this current pull you along as far as the point. You will be going over lots of coral in relatively shallow water, so try not to kick your fins at this point or you might hit something. If you need to move around use your arms rather than your fins.

When you get to the point use your arms to push out to sea away from the coral and then kick out into deeper water. There is a ledge that drops off that you can follow back towards the entry point. I have seen spotted eagle rays here more than once. There are also usually bigger fish out there too. You will be swimming back against the current so will need to use your fins to get back to the entry point.

I hope this helps and have a great vacation!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

This is the beach (you can barely see the sandy beach, where most folks hang out, farther back in the background to the right of the boat). As liamsaunt said, walk all the way to the end of this beach and then enter the water and snorkel to the left (looking out from the beach).

Enjoy your time on St. John!

Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Thanks so much for the information! In 24 hours I should be on the rock and hopefully checked in to the villa! Sigh! 8)