Carry on bag only packing

Travel discussion for St. John
tochin

Carry on bag only packing

Post by tochin »

So I have to ask...

How do you pack for a week or more trip to STJ with only a carry on bag? I can understand not needing much in terms of clothes/bathing suit and just washing things as needed but how do you deal with toiletries/liquids/sunscreen which you cannot carry on? Do you just buy everything on island? Do you rent snorkel equipment or just fins?

Seems like the $25 to check a bag is cheaper than buying and renting everything on island.

We travel with 3 and have to check at least 1 bag every time but I'm curious how the experts on this forum get around it.

Thanks.
tochin
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

While not an expert i've read enough of these posts to know:
A) Many people ship the liquids down flat rate USPS about 3 weeks out but you can buy all the essentials in the pharmacy above starfish.
B) you can rent decent snorkel epuipment from several dive shops such as Low Key, but if you really like your own take it. Also the shorter easier to pack fins have come in favor.
C) Don't think the carry on thing is about the money as much as it is ease of airport navigation , your breezin in and out and it forces you to travel light.

Once We (fam of three) went carry on only, we never looked back. Don't forget you each get a personal item allowance along with the carry on as long as it fits under seat. I bring a beach bag as pocketbook, my son has a school back pack for all things electronic, essential for teens. My husband also has a small backback.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Our family of 4 used backpacks this time and it worked perfectly and still had clothes we never wore! I also had one medium sized beach bag to hold 4 pint sized bags of 3 oz liquids, toiletries, wallet, paperwork etc.
No charge for backpacks in taxi's or ferry. Easy in, easy out. We did all our laundry at the villa which had every kind of insect spray and sunscreen right there. Check your villa before you pack it or just run over to Starfish Market or Chelsea Drug store to pick up anything you may need. We rented snorkel gear but you could bring your own gear as your 2nd carry-on.
We'll never go back to checked bags or carry-on roller bags again! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We have been very successful with carry on only for the past 10 years and agree that it is convenience/lost bag fear more than the baggage fee (sometimes I'll check on the return home.)

Hints for success-
-Get a max length overhead wheeled duffel or bag (22-23 inches.)
-Use a mid size backpack as "personal item" that will double as your day pack on the island. Whatever will fit under the seat in front of you.
-Plan on laundry half way through stay
-We've always packed our mask snorkel, and fins. Check into shorter travel fins.
-Wear your hiking shoes, pack your flip flops.
-As a general rule, we fill overhead bags with clothing and snorkel gear. Cameras, books, maps and electronics go in personal bag. When we run out of space, it gets left home.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

1 priority mailbox with Shampoo, soap, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc

1 LL Bean Expedition Pack with clothes, coffee, some dry foods, 2 Purex laundry cloths, mask, snorkel and flip flops (fins are rented on island)
Sneakers are worn on the plane

1 Beach Bag as carry-on personal item with camera, nook, Ipod, and small island purse

We do a load of laundry mid week and usually come home with clean clothes
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

I'm sort of a "girly" girl who likes to have choices in what to wear. :roll: 2 years ago we went to Kauai for a week and the hubs said, "No checked luggage!" Last year to ST. John we did the same thing and it's so much easier and quicker to get to paradise! He takes a "hiker's" backpack, along with his laptop, "work" bag. I took my rolling bag and swim bag. I kept my camera, binoculars, little purse, sunglasses and reading material in the beach bag. We do take our own snorkel gear. My fins are the shorties, but my husband takes his "HUGE" flippers. Toiletrywise, I only take what will fit in my quart size bag, putting my shampoo, etc. in small bottles.
Our villa last year had mosquito repellent, laundry and dishwashing supplies. I buy sunscreen on island. I even had clothes I didn't wear last year! NOt much, but 1 or 2 items! I try to wear my "heavier" clothes and hiking shoes on the plane. I do know I want to buy some West Indies Itch Relief this year to bring home. I'm always getting bit by something. Once you go carryon only, you'll wonder why you waited so long! Colleen, maybe I can graduate to a backpack evenually!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I, on the other hand, tried carry-on once (short 5 day trip) and probably will never try it again :?
janet
BeAsUR

Post by BeAsUR »

My family of 4 always opt for carry on using luggage for our 9 day trips to STJ. It is so much easier to carry on to a beach destination because the clothing is so light. Much harder to carry on for a winter vacation! We use the villa sunscreen and bug spray. If we run out we buy it there. We each pack our regulation Ziploc bag with travel sized toiletries. We each carry a backpack for our other personal item...so that leaves room for stuff we couldn't fit in the suitcase. We always rent our snorkel gear. I do not take a purse- I use the backpack for my purse. This backpack doesn't go to the beach, so it doesn't get sandy. Because we are in our bathing suits and cover ups most of the day, we don't need a lot of outfits....but we still look nice when we go out to dinner! I like the peace of mind knowing my 'stuff' arrives WITH ME at the SAME TIME when I get to paradise. (I learned the hard way 10 years ago on a trip to Hawaii and checked baggage)
Here's a toast to you on the coast....

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

As a family of 4 we checked just one bag once, but when that bag didn't show up on the carousel, it was onto carry on only for us. It can be an inconvenience to lug around more bags even if they are smaller, but it's worth it not to lose all of your stuff.
We use a priority flat rate box and mail our toiletries down. Going to try to pack them in our luggage too next time. May just have to buy sunscreen down there.
Tickerless :(
lark22

Post by lark22 »

We bring our full-sized fins as well -- they fit in a carry-on duffel bag.

The 1-quart bags hold quite a bit of sunscreen, etc -- I stock up on the 4oz tubes of sunscreen at Walgreens and bring at least 4 of them (nobody's ever bothered me about the multiples). Also, as someone mentioned, it's worth waiting to see what's in "stock" at the villa...most of the time, we find full bottles left over, along with bug spray and other goodies.

I just love the freedom of packing lightly -- heading straight off the plane and into a taxi.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I plan on doing carry on only in November. Staying at Grande Bay. Anyone have experience with sending a package to Connections?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Brenda, We've shipped to Connections, and found it convenient. The only problem on recent trips was that we arrived too late on Saturday to pick up our package, and I believe they were closed on Sunday. So we'd have gone without our stuff for the first two days.
Be sure if you ship ahead, that you'll have access to your stuff when you need it.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I highly recommend carry-on only. With a little planning, it's easy to do. Like others, we usually only take the liquids that fit into a quart sized bag. You can fit quite a bit in there. We have also shipped to Connections in the past, or to the rental agency. I tend to do that when we have a bigger group, and I want to send down bigger bottles, and maybe even some non-perishable food items. This is the bag I take http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... d=10183337
My beach bag is my personal item. I can fit my snorkel bag, with my short fins, mask, and snorkel in my beach bag, along with my books, camera, etc.
I love being able to get straight off the plane, meet Rachel, and be on our way! :D You should definitely go for it!
Image[/url]
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

My wife and I are arriving next week with carry-ons only. As a former airline employee, I can assure you that carry-on luggage is the best option whenever possible. It's an absolute no-brainer if you have access to a washer/dryer while on the island!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

We do carry-on each trip, the longest trip for two weeks, every trip taking our full snorkel set for at least two including full size fins. This last trip for the four of us was the easiest becasue we had four people somthat is four backpacks. We had our snorkel bag fit four sets of fins and each person was responsible for their own mask and snorkel. We had the polar bear cooler with food. We had one back back fit all our electronics including three underwater cameras and two computers and one IPad. We had two backpacks with clothes for four, and I with dry food. Sent one small priority box ten days ahead with bug spray, sunscreen, toiletries, - easy peasy!! We travels with luggage once and never again!! After I get that free shot of rumat the airport- I am ready to GO,GO,GO!!!! :oops:
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting