Car Rental - STJ - In town parking

Travel discussion for St. John
News of St. John

Car Rental - STJ - In town parking

Post by News of St. John »

Ok, so now that the scramble is on to rebook our car rental...

Which car rental company has the most in-town parking?

Which car rental company is within a reasonable walking distance to the Beach Bar (I have my priorities!) :)

I love Amalie. Now taht I need to find another company, who should I pick???

I am looking for two cars.

Thanks!
Jenn, News of St. John
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

I think the answer to both of your questions, most parking and closest to Beach Bar is St John Car rental.
If you tripped getting out of your car you might be at the entrance to the Beach Bar when you get up :)
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

agreed on St. John Car Rental- we have rented from them a few times and they are really nice. Large lot behind their building right by Beach Bar.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Do you all prefer a smaller vehicle like a 2 door jeep wrangler or a 4 door jeep as far as ease of getting up switchbacks, etc??
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

we have done both and like them both- they key is the 4 wheel drive and decent tires. The 4 door jeeps are bigger of course, but they don't bother us driving around. Really just depends on how much room you need, imo.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

I need one four door Jeep for myself, my husband, our two boys and all of our beach stuff.

I need a second vehicle for my parents. A two-door would suffice for them. They currently have a Jeep Compass reserved on St. Thomas.

Looks like St. John Car Rental is our best bet, although the woman on the phone was my the friendliest.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I can stay with Amalie. I absolutely love them.
Jenn, News of St. John
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

We rented both 2 and 4 door, don't think there is really a difference with the switchback. Agree with SOonthebeach that good tires are the key.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Two scariest car rental experiences:

1. Driving from Cruz Bay to Maho Bay at night, along the North Shore Road: the headlights start blinking on and off, plunging us into periods of pitch black blindness. Asolutely terrifying. We would have been invisible to any car coming behind us. Electrical problem. My daughter and I. Screamed all the way to our rental house. Car was replaced next day.

2. Driving from the smoothie stand down the big hill toward the road to Francis, the familiar thump and rumble of a flat tire. Were those tires bald! And we'd never noticed. Fortunately, we were able to coast to the big switchback area, pull the Jeep off to the side, and wait for help. We had a cooler and it wasn't so bad ! All the taxi tours laughed at us.