Restaurant Recommendation

Travel discussion for St. John
GotToGetAway

Restaurant Recommendation

Post by GotToGetAway »

We are planning to go out for dinner to celebrate my MIL's birthday during our trip. We don't usually go out to eat while on island (I think we've maybe been out to eat 5 or 6 times in 3 trips), and my inlaws have been to St. John. So, I thought I would defer to the experts on the forum for a good recommendation.

We are looking for a restaurant that fits the following:

1. Good food, but doesn't break the bank
2. Family friendly, preferably with a kids menu, and where I won't be mortified if
my 2 and 5 year olds get noisy
3. In the Cruz Bay area
4. Offer a variety of foods to fit the taste of 7 people (including one vegetarian)
5. Preferably not Asian/Pacific Rim style

I was thinking about Cafe Roma. But I would love to hear any recommendations anyone has to offer. TIA.
Tickerless :(
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

If you are looking in Cruz Bay,I would suggest the Lime Inn or Morgan's Mango.

In Coral Bay, Shipwreck Landing
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Second Lime Inn and Morgan's Mango.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

I definitely like both the Lime Inn and Morgan's Mango. I'l ladd High Tide which is right next to the ferry dock in Cruz Bay- in Wharfside Village but direct beachfront.. We went there with my 20 month old grandson and got a table on the water (it was about 5:30). We took him on the beach there to look at boats etc while we were waiting for dinner. I don't remember if they had a formal kids menu but they made one up for him and had child seats.
melmd

Post by melmd »

I'll second all of the above but High Tide was fantastic when we ere there in Nov. It's also great if the kids ger restless, you can take them for a walk on the beach while waiting for the food.
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Banana Deck for sure. They have a great menu for all types. Loved going there after church with a large group. Kids and adults loved it.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

I'd choose High Tide, right on the beach to keep the kids occupied if necessary. The Tofu Brochettes and wonderful and I'm not a vegetarian. We ate there twice on our last trip and everything we had was wonderful.
Prices are very reasonable.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

I'll add another vote for High Tide. They have really reasonable prices and a decent menu for their waterfront location. The service staff is always great and we see lots of kids there at the tables (we usually sit at the bar). We have only had lunch and drinks there, but I'm pretty sure dinner is just as good (but perhaps the prices at dinner are more?).
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I would definitely recommend Banana Deck. Lime Inn and Morgan's Mango used to be two of our favorites but unfortunately they aren't what they used to be in our experience.

Morgan's Mango used to be on our "must visit" list but their food quality has declined and we haven't been there our last couple trips.

Lime Inn has more recently fallen off of our "must visit" list, though we still go there for drinks, they serve one of my favorite drinks on STJ (the strawberry shortcake). Unfortunately their food quality has deteriorated. This makes me very sad because I love the owners.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Thanks you everyone for the recommendations. I love the idea of occupying the kids with the water while waiting.

Just wondering if anyone thinks Cafe Roma would meet our criteria or not. I've never been, but my MIL is Sicilian, so I thought Italian would be suiting.

Morgan's Mango is actually one of the few restaurants we have been to, though it was several years ago.

Thanks.
Tickerless :(
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

Looks like I might be the first, but, yes, I think your choice of Cafe Roma would be a good one. Over 18 years and 8 trips, Cafe Roma has developed into a long-term favorite. It is very family-friendly, and has a wide-ranging menu to suit most tastes. I had some of the best Veal Marsala there that I've ever had - and who would think you'd find something like that on a Caribbean island, especially little St. John? Service has always been good, too. There is another, newer Italian place - DaLivio's - up the street across from the Lime Inn, and while we liked the food, it just didn't have the same friendly vibe as Cafe Roma. And maybe it's me, but I so rarely see this little treat of a restaurant mentioned in other folks' posts that I feel almost obligated to sing its praises a little more loudly. Whatever you choose, I hope you have fun!
madelon

Try the Fistrap Restaurant

Post by madelon »

Fish Trap is family friendly, has vegetarian options, in Cruz Bay, affordable... and has good food!