First Night Restaurant Recommendations in Cruz Bay?

Travel discussion for St. John
WaterLemon

First Night Restaurant Recommendations in Cruz Bay?

Post by WaterLemon »

Hello Again, Fellow STJ addicts -

(You can tell we're getting close to our visit. I can't think about anything else, and here I am posting a second item in as many days. I'm sure I'll be back to lurking soon though!)

For our trip in a few weeks, we'll probably get in late afternoon, and to be courteous to our greeter, we'll likely NOT shop for food until after we get to the villa (which will be up on Bordeaux Mtn.). But we will plan on returning to Cruz Bay to have dinner and then hit the Starfish Market for our "big shop" of the trip.

I'm curious to learn about some of your favorite Cruz Bay restaurants. What I'm thinking of for our first night is a "not over the top" kind of meal, rather something nice but low-key. Not necessarily the BBQ truck, and Later in the week we will likely eat at Zozo's, so not there either.

Any suggestions you can give us?

Thanks!!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

High Tide has become our first night tradition. Usually very quick and good food after a long day of travel.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

We have a sort of traditional burgder or mahi sandiwich at Woody's on our travel day. Relaxed and easy.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Nice but low-key....Banana Deck or Morgan's Mango.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I second Banana Deck. It is in our top 3 favorites and the atmosphere (outside on a deck) is great for a first night on island (or any night!). We usually make it there twice per trip. The garlic ribeye is amazing.

A few years ago I would have said Morgan's Mango but their food hasn't been as good our last handful of trips.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
melmd

Post by melmd »

I second High Tide. I had 3 excellent meals there on my last trip. It was our first stop once we got off the ferry.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

High Tide or Banana Deck
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Our first night favorite is Rumb Lines.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I usually go to Rhumblines on our first night. It has a very relaxing atmosphere--in an outdoor courtyard surrounded by lots of plants, comfy cushions, tables not jammed together, low lighting, and fairly quiet (except on live music nights), all of which is nice when you are arriving exhausted from travel.

They have a pupu menu of bite-sized items to share, and small plates and salads etc. on the regular menu as well, which is good for when you are tired and not feeling up to a full meal.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

We went to High Tide twice during our visit, and it has become a new favorite! I would vote for High Tide.
Tami
Image[/url]
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Another vote for Banana Deck. It's a great way to kick off the vacation.
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

We like to go to Rhumb Lines...so delicious...I love their blackened diver scallops...great drinks too!
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

We don't have a "traditional" one, but we really love Woody's for a casual meal. Their Seafood Platter is a great dish. Also the fresh fish sandwich has never let me down (and the blended drinks are just wonderful!).
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Our traditional arrival day is to do the car paper work, then to go to the Banana Deck for a late lunch. Pick-up the car, grocery shop and settle in for sunset cocktails.
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I do love eating at High Tide and Banana Deck, but do not forget Villa Roma!