Our annual Virgin Island Trip Report

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Sharon

Our annual Virgin Island Trip Report

Post by Bob & Sharon »

We returned from a three-week escape to the Virgin Islands on Dec 17th. The trip started with two weeks on Virgin Gorda where we rented a house near Spring Bay and enjoyed snorkeling all over the island and eating at the Mineshaft, Hog Heaven and Chez Bamboo. Shopping is better now on VG thanks to the new Bucks wholesale. We finished up at Caneel Bay on St John which is summer camp for adults done right. The best restaurant on the island La Toppa in Cruz bay.

It was marvelous, as always. We photographed and identified 182 fish and other wildlife this year, a new record for us. Unfortunately, we saw our first Lionfish this year at Caneel (none seen in Virgin Gorda). The trip’s log, photographs and some videos can be found in a folder behind our website at the link:

www.doppstein.com/VG&SJ2011

Hope you enjoy them!
Bob & Sharon
benchill

Post by benchill »

Now that is an impressive report.
Ben and Lynn
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Loved your report, pics and that unbelievable octopus video! Does Virgin Gorda have snorkeling as good as St. John? I'm thinking so, according to your pictures!
Thanks Bob & Sharon! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
jmq

Post by jmq »

We met you 2 1/2 yrs ago at Caneel and shared some VG stories, so this sounds like the ideal trip to us too. Is the breakfast buffet at Caneel still top notch? In VG, Crosswinds is on our short list for when we get back (if not Guavaberry) so good to hear about it. Also was just reading in TTOL about the new road up to Hog Heaven so thanks for the photo from there. Nice to hear Mineshaft is as good as ever too. Thanks for sharing and for really stoking the DIF.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Great report and pictures! You saw a lot of stuff!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

WOW, great trip report... I cant wait to show my 5 year old son your page of "fish" He(we) can finally figure out what all those fish we are looking at are
Rachelle & Joe

our annual virgin island trip report

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

Absolutely Fantastic ! you stayed busy under water !enjoyed each & every pic in album ! WOW ! Thanks for sharing :) ~Happy Holidaze To All~
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

tremendous!! Thank your for sharing all your pictures!! :D :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

So nice! Thanks for sharing. I love seeing an octopus and you got some great shots. Did you see the video I posed on the OT forum with the one walking on land? One of my favorite fish is the Fairy Basslet. They are so colorful, but not always easy to see. Looks like you had a great trip. I love both VG and St John.