Do you ever buy anything at Charlotte Amalie?

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

jimg20 wrote:The first key is to know what things cost in the US. The second is to let them know that you are not on a ship, and that you are perfectly willing to walk away and come back later in the week.
This is great advice. In my 5 years there as a resident I did buy several things - a watch for my wife, binoculars, camera and lenses, etc. Always a good deal if you know what you want.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
sapphirecat

Advice here for Sales Persons in Charlotte Amalie

Post by sapphirecat »

Hi! I'm here right now :-)

I restocked on my La Prairie Day Cream and Night Cream. My husband said soon they'll have an Afternoon Cream.

We went into the newly moved and revamped large jewelery store and nearly got eaten alive by the sales help. OMG, we literally could not take a step without being accosted with a sharkish smile and come on. I made the mistake of pointing to something in a case and I felt I had piranha all over me.

These sales people should learn that naked aggression is not the way to make a sale. BTW, despite 6 ships being in at STT today that shop and a bunch of others were pretty empty (guess they scared the tourists away).
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We bought our Canon D10 in Charlotte Amalie. I had priced it on the internet and while staying with Ronnie at the Crystal Palace on a Friday before moving over to STJ Saturday we strolit led around. The price was significantly lower in St Thomas so we bought it and had for snorkeling for the rest of the vacation.
kma27

Post by kma27 »

We buy all kinds of stuff there; always have. Two things that come to mind most is booze & jewelry. You can't touch the price of the booze there compared to home and since we've been going to STT (since 1997) we buy all our jewelry there. They make the jewelry stores at home look sick. Only once did we buy a piece of jewelry there to later find out it was not real (and that guy is now out of business). You learn who you can and cannot trust. Yes, they do tend to "jump" you when you enter a jewelry store, especially if you're wearing nice jewerly but sometimes it's fun to play with them...