6 bedroom villas

Travel discussion for St. John
kristen1206

6 bedroom villas

Post by kristen1206 »

Our trip for next June has grown in size and we now require a 6 BR villa. The three we are considering now are Ristaba, Oceana and Chateau Margot. Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated. We will be a party of 4 families with 5 kids between the ages of 4 and 7, 2 teens and 6 adults. The two the younger kids will likely say in the rooms with their parents.

A good view and nice, large pool area are priorities as is a good layout for families. Exterior access is fine for the teens or the one couple or even thecottage for an entire family like at Ristaba.

Also, anyone willing to share your vacation photos form any of these homes...I would love to see them. You can also get a partial sense of a home IMO from the website photos.

Thanks!
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

We stayed at Oceana in June with 8 adults and 6 kids under 7.

It was absolutely lovely, we never felt cramped or on top of eachother. It is well equipped in all ways but plan to pick up some plastic cups and/or plates for the little ones. 2 beach towels per person, but washer and dryer on site.

The bedrooms are air conditioned but main living is not, the fans made it comfortable at night but during the day it was pretty hot - not that we were either home or inside much during the day. Very nice outside space, some covered, some not. Plenty of places to sit. Not windy but seemed like a bit of a breeze most of the time. Could see but not hear the Westin. Don't know about sunsets as was busy with kids that time of day and didn't think to look.

The pool is refreshing but quite small, not really big enough to lounge on a float for more than maybe 2, but is only 5 feet deep, so really nice for the parents watching little kids. Another great thing about the pool is that it is not chlorinated but kept VERY clean by some ionization process with salt. The temperature was perfect.

The pictures on the website are dead on. We had one couple in the separate pod. Couple with oldest kids took the upstairs bedroom on the end and the kids in the next one over (not in direct contact, but lockable doors for night time and pool safety). Couple with second oldest kids took the downstairs bedroom with connected trundle room for their kids. Last couple with baby took the room under the pool, ordered in a crib for baby. The media room and sitting area between/outside the two downstairs bedrooms is HUGE and could totally be a sleeping space, though I can't remember if there are any window coverings.

DO ask if they got the fridge fixed though. It went out one night (not because of power outage) and we lost all our food except what was frozen.

Plenty of room for 4 vehicles.

Really great house, good location and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again with a large group.
Jennifer

kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Great information..thanks Chickadee!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We looked at Chateau Margot two trips ago. I remember it getting good reviews but the one thing I couldn't get a read on is the view. From the website, the view looks like mountains but no water views. I am curious to know about the views.

Catered To has a list of villas next to each other if you don't need to be under the same roof.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

PA girl..tview did concern me with CM too..looked like more hills than water! But then I foudn one vacation photo on Picasa and the views looks good.

We had considered 2 villas and that's great to know Catered to shows which ones are side by side. Going to check it out now..thanks!
hockeyboy

Ocean Palm

Post by hockeyboy »

Don't forget to check out Ocean Palm. 6 bedrooms all with outdoor showers. 2 pools. 1 is normal St John size. The other is probably one of the largest on the island and 'infinity' overlooking the John's Folly Bay.

There are some things that didn't work when we were there. Mostly the main house air (bedrooms were very cool), but with the breezes we preferred to keep the house open anyways.

OP is a relative bargain for a 6 bedroom with 2 pools.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I stayed Chateau Margot for 2 weeks with a 2½ year old. I'd be happy to share some pictures and information if you'd like PM me with specific questions. Not sure how the kids will stay in the rooms with parents unless they have air mattresses brought in or something.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
petepie

Post by petepie »

Some others you may want to look at that have either connecting rooms and/or bedrooms with sleeper sofas in them (for the little kids with their parents) are:

Vistaero (I stayed here in 09, worked really well for our group of 12 (6 adults, 6 kids)

Edens Whim (may not take kids under 8)

Crystal Seaview (has some connecting bedrooms & sleeping alcoves

Avalon (has some connected bedrooms)

Ambiance (has a big 4-bed loft for kids)

Altagracia (looks like it has lots of double beds combined in bedrooms)

Of these, I've only stayed in Vistaero.

Good luck with the hunt
petepie

Post by petepie »

Please feel free to pm me with any questions on Vistaero. Also pswlrw posted a link to some pictures of Vistaero on a blog/shutterfly link (back in spring 09).
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

FYI, the view from Chateau Margot is incredible. You look down the mountain to the bay. Gorgeous mornings.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Part of my family stayed at Crystal Seaview last December. I have also stayed at Vistaero. Seaview is HUGE - lots of rooms and bedrooms are enormous. Another plus (for me) was that it was really close to town. That said, Vistaero has the most amazing views and a great breeze (but those roads make the drive at night nearly impossible - and definitely will keep you from that 3rd painkiller at the Beach Bar). I don;t recall how many rooms it has, but Tre Vista (next to Seaview) is also beautiful. Infinity pool and gourmet kitchen; beautiful bedrooms/baths. Also stayed there.