Here are driving directions STT airport - Red Hook car ferry

Travel discussion for St. John
kulbrezn

Post by kulbrezn »

Hi
We arive 6:45pm by air on tue 1-15. our room in ca
fell thru. Can you tell me the hours of operation of car ferry. In the mean time I am trying to find another room as I'm sure we won't make the boat,really don't want to sleep in car but I'm sure things will work out somehow. Just another story to tell.
thanks
Pia

Post by Pia »

The last car ferry is at 7:00pm so you will miss that for sure.

Try calling Ron to see if he has a room - he is a great guy and a frequent poster here (RonUSVI)

www.crystalpalaceusvi.com

Pia
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I do have a couple of rooms left for that night!
RL 8)
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Good Morning, these directions are from 2007, are they still good, no major traffic changes? The last time on island was 12/2007 for my daughters wedding and we are returning to STJ Saturday. Thanks, Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
Pia

Post by Pia »

No changes :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
joem07

Post by joem07 »

Hi Pia,
When you get a moment, would you mind giving directions from the airport to the Cost-u-less and then to Red Hook?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Here are some useful directions from our friends at Great Expectations:

driving directions from the airport to the vehicle barge at Red Hook, St. Thomas, via Cost-U-Less
(no, there are no usable street/road signs; while it may look like it, this is not a tour of fast food restaurants on St. Thomas of which,
by the way, there are none on St. John should you want to stop at one to pick up some dinner)

- at the end of the 2 lane exit road from the airport (the exit road parallels the airport's one runway and parallel taxiway),
make a right turn at the 1st traffic light onto a 4 lane road which you will stay on for the next 2.5 miles
(this road runs through downtown Charlotte Amalie along the harbor -- note the incredible color of the water --
you will go through a number of traffic lights and past all the downtown tourist shops on your left);

- Stay in the right lane on this road which narrows to 2 lanes as it passes an old, red fort on the left and the pale green legislature building on the right,
continuing on this the road as it makes a right along the harbor toward the cruise ship dock which you can see in the distance until
at 2-1/2 miles from the airport, make a left at the traffic light by Wendy's which is on your right (just before the cruise ships if any are in port);

- Stay on this road for a 1/2 mile and make a right at the next traffic light (there is a McDonald's on the left);

- Follow this winding road up a hill and down the other side.
To shop for groceries at Cost-U-Less on St. Thomas (sort of like a Caribbean Costco or BJs):
as you come down the hill from town (Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas)
make a left at the first traffic light. You will see a Home Depot (it is not a mirage) straight ahead and
Cost-U-Less on the left. Best prices compared to St. John are for liquor, beer, wine and ice cream (buy a cooler)!

- Go back to the main road for about 3/4 of a mile and just past the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) on the right
make a right at the next traffic light and stay on this road for 9 miles
(you will pass the infamous 'bridge to nowhere' on the right and eventually on the left,
a sprawling yellow building -- it is the high school the St. John kids have to commute by ferry to).

- About 1/4 mile past the school there will be a shopping area on both sides of the road
(no Wendy's, McDonalds or KFC here, but a number of local restaurants and stores)
The passenger ferries and vehicle barges are on the right just past this shopping area so you have almost made it!

- Make the next right (you will have gone 9 miles from the KFC where you turned right onto this road)
to the ferries (passengers only) on the right and the barges (vehicles and pax) to the left.

- Stop at the shack on the left to pay the Port Authority a few dollars (remember to say "good day" even if it is not)
and by the water is a concrete ramp for the barges:
if there are cars/trucks ahead of you, wait in line patiently (very important)
and be prepared to BACK onto the barge when your turn comes!

You pay once you are onboard the barge. You can buy a (less expensive) round-trip ticket, however there are
3 different barge companies and one of them -- Boyson -- will not accept the return tickets for
the other two barge companies. SCHEDULE: Boyson barges run once an hour on the half-hour
and the other 2 barge companies run every hour on the hour. Last scheduled barge trip is 6:30PM on Boyson
and 7PM on "Captain Vic" EXCEPT FOR SUNDAY when "Captain Vic" does not run all day.
Be advised this schedule is not subject to anything but the whim of the barge captain.

Charles Atkins
www.GreatExpectationsUSVI.com
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We've done this trip from the airport 8 times but I don't remember a bridge to no where?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Connie

Post by Connie »

lol, I've seen it and it really is a bridge to nowhere.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Teresa_Rae wrote:We've done this trip from the airport 8 times but I don't remember a bridge to no where?
Great part of St. Thomas - I think the story was they once got some federal highway dollars, and put this "bridge" in place to eventually raise the whole road surface around estate Nadir. The road was never built to meet the bridge - it has to have been there for at least going on 20 years - maybe a St. Thomas resident knows more...

Found a photo on the bottom of this page:

http://www.ideasforwomen.com/travel/car ... thomas.php
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Because it was the biggest structural part of the intersection redesign and the drainage issue was deteriorating badly and they already owned that land and the funds were available -- the Bridge was built well ahead of the purchase of the surrounding lands needed to complete the rest of the intersection project - the gas station was purchased and and is closed and ready to be razed, the Animal Shelter and the Abattoir are close to relocating, and the SW corner is cleared so maybe the project is getting close to being moved onto a timetable - DPW Commissioner Smalls has done quite a few large scale road projects during his tenure so far - so it wouldn't surprise me - I do wonder if the Bridge Infrastructure is still solid or if it will have to be rebuilt? Now that would not surprise me at all!
That area is named - Nadir - it is one of the lowest part of STT and was likely a constant fresh water running stream in the not so distant history.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Bump with a question:

We're renting with Amalie again, and plan to drive to Cost U Less for groceries, and pick up BBQ at the Lechon truck that Exit Zero recommended, then go to the car ferry.

I think the directions Anthony posted from Great Expectations are the ones that we need. Am I right? Are there any changes in the route?

1 month out...time to get started with the few little details :) It gets easier every trip!