Mailing stuff to St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
Need2GetAway

Mailing stuff to St. John

Post by Need2GetAway »

If I wanted to mail myself a box of, let's just say, wine, for our trip, if there a place I'd send it to? I thought I once read on here some advice on that, but can't find it now...

Thanks.
Pia

Post by Pia »

It is illegal to ship wine via the USPS - not sure if you can send Fed-Ex or UPS but if you could it would be soooooo expensive it would not be worth it, for example I ordered 1 sample(12"x12") piece of tile for our remodel but the only way they would ship way UPS and it was going to be $90 - needless to say I skipped :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I've sent stuff to the person we were renting from, so you could ask if that's a possibility. Otherwise people ship stuff to Connections, there is a charge for them to hold it for you.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Besides the wine shipment being illegal, I would also worry about the storage and handling. It would spoil in the high temperatures. You will be able to find wine there.
NancyB
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

You can't ship liquids or perishables via USPS, but I've both shipped & recieved wine via UPS and it has always arrived intact...but you have to pack it carefully. Some shipping places have styrofoam containers for bottles, but I just roll them in plenty of bubble wrap and nest them in peanuts and never had a bottle break.
BillnSue

sending wine

Post by BillnSue »

Sending wine is a big mistake. You can get pretty good wine at a great price from the specialty store across from the Starfish Market. Booze and tobacco are cheap, everything else is expensive. If you are looking for GREAT wine contact Dale Miller owner of Acqua Blu villa on VRBO. I think he will deliver it to your villa and charge you accordingly.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Good tips everyone, thank you. If wine is available there, I won't bother. We have received wine for gifts packed in boxes with special styrofoam, bottle shaped things. I know that laws about shipping wine vary state to state, etc.
Sumerwaters

Post by Sumerwaters »

I ship myself a package everytime I go to STJ.
I use priority mail from USPS-it is a flat rate for anything you can jam into the box. It takes about 5-8 business days from the midwest. I have sent all kinds of goodies to myself and never had a problem. I just mail it to the villa owners and they alway have had it waiting for me when I arrive.
Also I noticed there was a huge wine selection at Dolphin Market as well as Starfish Spirits shop.
Have a great time.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The wine selection at Gourmet Gallery in STT will rival any stateside store.
The Marina Market and the wine and cheese store in the same parking lot have a wide variety - very close to the Red hook dock.
Costuless has a fine and [cheaper] wine inventory and will give 10% off on a case purchase.