Spain (Barcelona & Seville), Lisbon & Morocco Advice

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
flip-flop

Spain (Barcelona & Seville), Lisbon & Morocco Advice

Post by flip-flop »

Looks like I'll be going on a trip to Spain, Portugal and possibly Morocco in June.

Any and all advice/suggestions welcome. We are looking to stay in Barcelona, Lisbon, Seville and Tarifa. Hotels, restaurants, tips, sights! Anything? We are all newbies.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

In Barcelona make sure you visit the Miro Musuem on Montjuic. If you enjoy modern art you will enjoy Barcelona immensely, its a living modern art museum.
lv2fish

Post by lv2fish »

Hi, We did Barcelona Fall 2009, we had only one day pre-cruise. Must see: The architect Gauldi's: Sagrada Fam�lia, Casa Batll�, and Casa Mil�

Picasso Museum - DO reserve your tickets in advance, we missed it because we didn't, and did not have time to wait in the seperate ticket line given our short day in Barcelona. To really get a taste of all the history culture Barcelona has t offer you likely would need a minimum of two full days.

Vist one of Barcelona's coastal beaches.

Be aware that the lanaguage of Bareclona is Catalan not Spanish. Use your hotel's concierage - they're a great source of info & mapping out the must see's for your taxi driver if time is tight. Otherwise there is a fairly efficient public transportation system, had we sufficient time we'd have opted to use it.

Dinner & night life goes way beyond US standards, it begins late and ends late, I mean like up to around 4 am.
Have a wonderful trip.
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Flip, charming hotel in Seville named Casa de la juderia. On a tiny alley so small that guys come out and fold up your mirrors to get the car into the garage! It will astound you, makes St John driving seem simple. Hotel is walking distance to most everything.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Love Sevilla & Barcelona! Can I come along? :wink:

Last spring we did a driving tour from Madrid down to Andalucia and liked Seville so much that we changed out itinerary to stay an extra night. No specific "must-dos", really, we just loved being in the city (I'd definitely stay in the Juderia quarter, as aroobagirl suggested.)

Barcelona is wonderful; I was there about 10 years ago. I recommend the Bus Turistique (sp?). It's a great service -- it hits all the major sights and you can hop on and off as you like. We also used the subway, which was easy to navigate. The Picasso museum, Sagrada Familia, and Casa Mila were favorites -- we also took a day trip by train to the Monserrat monastery in the mountains, whcih is about an hour away. It's really worth it if you have the time (it takes the better part of a day, though). http://www.barcelona.de/en/barcelona-ex ... errat.html
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Thanks, all! I booked my flight over the weekend. I can't wait!
loria

Post by loria »

FYI there was a good piece in this sunday's NYT travel section --36 hours in Lisbon--I have been meaning to post lisbon ideas for you as well--I hope to get to it tonight--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Terry

Post by Terry »

Youngest daughter did Spain and husband did Morrocco. You are in for the trip of a life time. Enjoy it and all the folks here have given great advise.

Don't forget to stop and enjoy the Arts. It is amazing.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Loria - found the article on Lisbon. Very cool! Thanks.

We have booked lodging for barcelona, sevilla, and Tarifa. Still haven't booked for Lisbon so it will be very helpful in planning!