Hurricane Tomas?

Travel discussion for St. John
gores95

Hurricane Tomas?

Post by gores95 »

Anyone (like us) keeping a wary eye? We went through Hurricane Omar on STT a couple of years ago and do not want to go though it again! It looks to be staying south of the VI through at least Thursday but hopefully it will not do anything silly and curve back towards us!
Marc

Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I'm a little concerned too!
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Yes, me too. Right now it looks like it's getting south of the VI's. Is it really common that a hurricane ot tropical storm turns back again and head north east, after it has passed the Caribbean islands?

I sure hope not!
gores95

Post by gores95 »

Maggy wrote:Yes, me too. Right now it looks like it's getting south of the VI's. Is it really common that a hurricane ot tropical storm turns back again and head north east, after it has passed the Caribbean islands?

I sure hope not!
I don't like ANY tropical system in the vicinity of our vacation destination! A couple of years ago we arrived on STT and a couple of days later out of nowhere came Hurricane Omar which although just a CAT 1 storm...make our vacation a drenching nightmare. These systems...especially late in the season can be steered anywhere. I was hoping that early November was a good time to go as it is the end of the season.
All this being said I am cautiously hopeful that it stays away.
Marc

khud

Post by khud »

We just noticed Tomas this morning. While it does seem to be taking a southerly route I worry about it's size and the bands of rain that it will be throwing off to the north of it's center. The weather forcasters are usually pretty good at plotting the track of hurricanes by looking at the fronts, ridges and steering currents that are forecast to be in it's path, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Tomas will head straight west for awhile. We'll be keeping a close eye on the Caribbean radar for the next week and hope for the best.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

The St John 10day Forcast looks normal...hopefully it moves west by Wed and stays south...or we'll playing the song..."Something sexy abouth the rain"
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Doesn't look like its going to affect the VIs, but it definitely looks to be circling back North and then back East. Haiti looks to be in the cross hairs, as it stands now.

Considering the damage that the earthquake did, any amount of significant rain and wind will be devastating there.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Puffy clouds over the east end, but the sun's out. Warren, who picked us up from STT, called for rain today - no way. Brisk breeze this morning has abated. Outlook today? Mostly sunny with occasional shade.

The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful...
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Larry

Post by Larry »

I thought we weren't allowed to say the H-word.