Discount vs. Dependable

Travel discussion for St. John
kristen1206

Discount vs. Dependable

Post by kristen1206 »

I want to book our Jeep soon for our trip in May (even though they said I could wait until April to book...too close for comfort). We want to rent on STT and take the vehicle to STJ. I have read favorable things about both compnaies. The difference is that Discount seems willing to provide some assistance in the event of car troubles while Dependable said 'you're on your own." But Dependable is less expensive. We have never encountered mechanical problems with any rental cars before (but this would be the time we would) and minor things or issues like flat tires my husband can fix.

Any opinions or experiences?
augie

Post by augie »

I've rented from Dependable three times, going on four.

When they ask where you're staying and you tell them "St. John" they ask if you are aware of their "on your own" policy.

They also gave me a card for someone I could call on St. John in the unlikely event that I did have trouble. I don't know their affiliation with this person and hope that I never find out.

I did have to change a flat tire, twice, on our 2008 trip. Took the flat to the gas station in Cruz Bay, paid $6 to get it plugged, and was on our way.

I like the fact that you don't need to return the car until it's time to go to the airport!
Come see us!
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Thanks for the feedback Augie!
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Can't speak to Discount, but we've rented from Dependable 4 times for our STJ stays, going on 5 (reserved for April). We started renting from Dependable originally based on prior reviews and continued to do so because of our satisfaction with them.

Never had an issue with their rentals breaking down, for that matter, nor with any other car I've ever rented anywhere. But, with that said, Dependable rentals cars are a little more beat-up then your normal rental car; they give you that "island car" feel, which is kinda what you want when you are on STJ.

Enjoy your trip,
Last edited by Bob & Anita on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob & Anita
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Do you all book over the phone? I have not been able to reach Dependable via email. Will they send a confirmation?
gores95

Post by gores95 »

kristen1206 wrote:Do you all book over the phone? I have not been able to reach Dependable via email. Will they send a confirmation?
I tried twice to book online with Dependable and ended up calling (and booking) with them via their toll-free number.

We used them a couple of years ago on our STT trip...this will be the first time using them on STJ.
Marc

Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

kristen1206 wrote:Do you all book over the phone? I have not been able to reach Dependable via email. Will they send a confirmation?
Dependable sometimes emails right away (1 - 2 days) with a price quote when you use their online form (like 3 weeks ago when we booked for April), sometimes it takes..., well, they are on island time. You can't go wrong with calling them, just say you tried to book online so you can get the "online" discount.
Bob & Anita
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

It's been months since I emailed them (twice) with no response. I will just call. That was the nice thing about Discount...they responded the same day. But it seems more people use Dependable and they are cheaper so i think I will go that route. Thanks everyone.
jake

Post by jake »

Having booked with Dependable 4 times, I can tell you for sure...call. Email is not a priority; besides, they are (most times) fun to talk to.
We stay on STT, take the car to STJ several times per stay. Never had a problem on STJ, just a dead battery while on STT - very quick vehicle substitution, no problems.
I think the odds say you won't have a major problem...but no guarantees...
Jake
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

I've rented with Dependable many times over the years. Never had a problem and they are good people to deal with. They do business the old fashioned way: over the telephone... And I find that kind of refreshing!
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

This is our first time renting from Dependable. We never got a reply from dependable when we emailed them for a price quote, but when we called, we received great personal service and got the best price for a 4 door jeep. We arrive tomorrow and we are not worried in the least.
papabou

Post by papabou »

after taking all the indifference from avis & budget at airport i could stand, i started using dependable (used maybe 4 times) and was pleased. next trip, dependable didn't have what i needed (always last minute) so switched to discount for last 4 trips. similar friendly service. would not hesitate to use either again and plan to use on or the other next trip.

again we do last minute, usually less than a week in advance, so i always call and all has always been exactly as discussed during call.

papabou